Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we purchased our used 07 Highlander Hybrid, it only came with one key/FOB. We have always used the FOB to open the doors and the key to start the ignition. Recently, car battery died and we could not get into car. The key would not manually open any door/hatch. My thought was that maybe key was worn and would not "trigger" door lock(s). Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with my '05, which I bought used. Discovered it a couple of years later when I had the battery disconnected (but not dead yet!). I went in to a Toyota dealership, gave them my VIN, and they cut a new key for me. It was only a few dollars, I'm guessing about $7.

EDIT: The key they cut for me was more "plasticy" feeling and less "OEM looking" than the original, which bugged me. If that's a big deal to you, I'd ask the dealership if there are nicer keys available for more money.

·
Registered
293 Posts
maybe your locks are a bit rusty or dirty from not being used. get some graphite or lube thats made for key locks and put it in there, then wiggle and work the key until it frees up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts