Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before today it run good.
This morning when my wife start it, check engine, vsc, trak off lights on.
But it did start and run several time today.

Afternoon I came back to my parking lot.
I tried to fix it.
I tightened gas cap and add a few vaseline on cap.
Then I detached battery.
After a while, I attached the battery.
Then I tried to start it, but it just like battery doesn't have enough power: lights on, turn to
ignition get dim lights, not start.
Then I test battery voltage, 12v.
Using jump starter, same phenomenon.

I guess it's battery connection cable or fuse?

I planned travel tomorrow.
Help me, great forum, please!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery to me. Most jump starters will not start a car with a dead battery.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Needs to be load tested. How old is it?
The symptoms are of low voltage.
Do the lights immediately get bright again after you release the key from the start position? The next thing to check is what you already said- all the cable and ground connections in the starter high current circuit. If there is any corrosion it needs to be cleaned and If the copper is affected the cables need replacement

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery date 09/16
I’ll send it to autozone to check it.

“starter high current circuit” where it is?
Not familiar with things under hood.

·
Read Only
3,920 Posts
I tightened gas cap and add a few vaseline on cap.
Vaseline on gas cap? Did someone recommend that? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

If you battery has suffered internal structural failure, compromising one or more of the 6 cells, It can act very strange. If that is case, you need a new battery.

I would recommend a 24F size such as Walmart Everstart MAXX, Autozone Gold, or Advance Auto Parts Gold.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What happens when you just turn on headlights? Are they bright? You say the lights dim when you try to start. Do they go back to normal intensity after you release the key?

Do you hear the starter click when you try to start?

Does the engine turn over a all?
Do you live in a cold part of the country?

The high current circuit is comprised of all the large red cables and the heavy ground straps and all connections at each end of them going between the battery and starter. They must be clean and tight. Sometimes they can corrode under the insulation where it is difficult to see the damage. Do you have a voltmeter or DVM?
Get an inexpensive one with alligator clips on the leads.

Low battery voltage will turn on the vehicle warning lights because the computer cannot read the sensors.

2016 is in the midrange of battery life depending on quality and use. It should be tested.

Since the lights dim when you try to start it then the fuses and solenoids are not the first place I would look.

If the check engine light comes on I know the most common advice on the internet is to check the gas cap, but it is necessary to read the code. If you would like to learn to work on your car, get a Bluetooth scanner that can read codes and data. I like the OBDLink MX+ for Gen1 HL but there are other less expensive choices for basic data.
If the check engine light comes on I know the most common advice on the internet is to check the gas cap, but it is necessary to read the code. If you would like to learn to work on your car, get a Bluetooth scanner that can read codes and data. I like the OBDLink MX+ for Gen1 HL but there are other less expensive choices for basic data.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys, C R and mark888.

Good news: After left it one night, it start this morning! And no lights on!
I use my small reader ms309 to read code, no code, maybe because battery detached before.

May I use this car to travel, about 2500 miles?
I'll test drive later.

Thank you guys again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just test drive, about 3-4 miles:
Engine shutdown almost every red light when using brake and stop.
Idle rough, only 150 rpm.
Shaking sometimes.
Still no engine light or other light.

Maybe need maintenance or O2 sensor of Cat converter?
Should I add some Lucas Fuel Treatment or check ignition?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After relearn, Brake rpm 500, idle rpm 600, runs good, just feel a little bit heavy.
I think I can travel now!

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
720 Posts
did you ever figure out what was causing the car not to start? I'm with CR, you could have had a poor connection at the battery or a bad cable. If it happens again, try wiggling the terminals and cables and see if it helps. Hopefully the problem doesn't come back though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
T
did you ever figure out what was causing the car not to start? I'm with CR, you could have had a poor connection at the battery or a bad cable. If it happens again, try wiggling the terminals and cables and see if it helps. Hopefully the problem doesn't come back though!
I agree your opinion too.
I cleaned the battery surface and connector. That may work?
Thank you for your kindness!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts