Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sooo frustrated with the remote starter. I've had my 07 limited for about 3 months, and I ordered it with the factory VIP starter. Thought it would work nice, as it is factory. But it only works within about 25 feet, and usually on the third try or later.
I had a Chrysler starter put in my wife's Pacifica, and that thing works from about 500 feet. I start it while I am in the frozen food section of the supermarket. Or in restaraunt. But I have to walk out the front door of a store or my office to get the Avy to start. What's the point of having it?
Anyone know of any way to enhance the range? Any tricks?

Frustrated (and cold) in NJ.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same problem with my 05. I thought I was doing it wrong until I realized that it takes about two or three tries to get it to work. It was really a waste because I hardly ever use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. Had I known, I would have went aftermarket.
Now that I have it, I was wondering if anyone who was electronically inclined new anything, like a way to boost the signal. Is it RF? IR? Can you get a universal remote that learns the code and transmits a stronger signal? (Like I did with my TV?)

Other than that, I am pretty happy with the car.

·
Registered
'00 XLS, '05 XLS
372 Posts
hated ours too, so i had a viper system installed. now it works from inside store or office, and doesn't shut the engine off to get in the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am considering the aftermarket. But will it work with my keyless ignition? On my wife's Pacifica, they actually taped a spare key fob behind the dash to make the remote starter work (this was a Chrysler unit, done by the dealer!).
Obviously this won't work for my car. Anyone with keyless have an aftermarket remote starter?

·
Registered
69 Posts
kejace said:
I am sooo frustrated with the remote starter. I've had my 07 limited for about 3 months, and I ordered it with the factory VIP starter. Thought it would work nice, as it is factory. But it only works within about 25 feet, and usually on the third try or later.
I had a Chrysler starter put in my wife's Pacifica, and that thing works from about 500 feet. I start it while I am in the frozen food section of the supermarket. Or in restaraunt. But I have to walk out the front door of a store or my office to get the Avy to start. What's the point of having it?
Anyone know of any way to enhance the range? Any tricks?

Frustrated (and cold) in NJ.

my 07 limited remote sucks. dave p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Curious...

kejace said:
I am considering the aftermarket. But will it work with my keyless ignition? On my wife's Pacifica, they actually taped a spare key fob behind the dash to make the remote starter work (this was a Chrysler unit, done by the dealer!).
Obviously this won't work for my car. Anyone with keyless have an aftermarket remote starter?
I am waiting for the '08 Avy to be released and hoping to get some sort of remote start package installed. Since so many owners are fed up with the VIP factory installed product, I was looking at the various Viper models out there. As kejace asked, if you get the Limited Avy with keyless push-button start, will an install of a Viper product allow you to remote start the car, jump in the car without the engine cutting off and then drive off since you have the SmartKey on you?

Otherwise, remote start might not be an option to choose at all if you can't pull the "remote start/get in/drive off" seamless flow.

·
Registered
05 avalon limited
100 Posts
kejace said:
They did that to bypass the PATS security sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
07 Remote Starter Help - UPDATE

So it's been over a year, and I've been living with the VIP starter.
The only thing I have learned is that the orientation of the car makes a difference. If I am facing driver's side front fender, the remote starter works 80% of the time on the first try, from about 30' away.
I used to back into my driveway, and it took 8-10 tries before it worked (or I gave up). Now I pull in nose first, and stand at a window that gives me the best angle, with much better results.
Likewise at the office, I was using the window closest to the car with poor results. I found that my boss's window works much better, as the car is parked 20' down the building, giving me the angle at the driver's side front. 2nd story window.

Don't know if this helps anyone - just thought I would share this tiny success.

Kevin

·
Avalon & Tacoma
9 Posts
My smartkey battery is a CR1632. The manual says the battery is a CR2032. Does anyone know why it's different? Does the battery type help with the distance problem? I have an 06 Avalon Limited.
Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts