Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I've got a 2007 Solara Convertible and noticing a fair bit of rattle coming from the dash. I'm wondering if anyone's got some experience with this specific type of squeak, and potential fixes to this part. I'm quite sure its coming from the center dash component, and likes to rattle pretty loud when going over larger bumps. I know how to take it apart, but the dash is pretty cracked and melted, so disassembly will likely damage part of it and I'd like to have to only take it apart once. I am able to recreate the sound by moving the part around as demonstrated in the video I'm attaching. I have seen other postings about a correlation to cold weather, which may be true, but its a very seems to rattle in warm weather at times, and not rattle much in cold at other times. I've also seen posts about a specific dealer code that involves repair done at the dealer, but I feel like its possible to do something from home. Given the age of the vehicle, I accept this might just be aging plastic, but I figured I'd ask regardless. If anyone knows much about this anything is appreciated.
Thanks
Center.jpg

Recreation of sound:

·
Registered
Japan-built 3MZ-FE
19 Posts
I can't speak to this rattle specifically, but my semi-related $0.02--the last time I had a convertible (a Miata), the changes that reduced interior rattles the most were the mods that increased chassis rigidity (front and rear suspension tower braces, etc). I've never driven a droptop Solara, but read they're pretty floppy (my 2005 Camry on the same platform is no bank vault even with a roof). If you haven't already, a couple hundred bucks' worth of aftermarket bracing might help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts