Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
05 Red crew cab
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read on MSN this morning the review of the 07 TUNDRA. It states the Tundra's mileage in the 4.0 V6 is 17 in city and 20 highway. This truck weighs way more than my 4 door Taco and doesn't look as aerodynamic so I say no way. :confused: Also it states that the engine is the same (236 HP) engine as used in the Highlander and the FJ but doesn't mention the Taco. Is it the same engine? Is this more Toyota smoke I feel creeping up my pants leg? :lol:

·
NJ Redneck
2005 Toyota Tacoma
712 Posts
Why anyone would buy an 07 Tundra with a 4.0L V6, is beyond me....

Yeah yeah, I know... "Dude what if I want the size and space but not the huge engine... blah blah blah."

Flame on!

·
Master Slouch
2006 Toyota Tacoma
351 Posts
jedi said:
Why anyone would buy an 07 Tundra with a 4.0L V6, is beyond me....

Yeah yeah, I know... "Dude what if I want the size and space but not the huge engine... blah blah blah."

Flame on!
+1

If you want a full size truck, don't settle for a (relatively) half-size engine. :hammer:

·
Registered
05 Red crew cab
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
poor power

That's another thing. As most know the 236 HP in the Tocoma is marginal. Can you imagine it in the new MONSTER 4 door TUNDRA? I think I've got to drive it just to see if it has enough power to pull out of the dealership lot.:lol:

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Weird enough...the 5.7L V8 has pretty much the same MPG Rating as the 4.0L V6.

I don't know how much I believe that but it's interesting none the less. The 4x2 Regular Cab with the V6 gets 17/20 MPG and the same 4x2 Regular Cab with the 5.7L V8 gets 16/20 while the 4.7L V8 gets 15/18. Something is fishy about those numbers if you ask me...

Of course it could be because the 5.7L V8 gets the new 6-Speed Automatic Transmission! Which could be a huge plus.

·
I Drink your Milkshake
810 Posts
gahunter said:
That's another thing. As most know the 236 HP in the Tocoma is marginal. Can you imagine it in the new MONSTER 4 door TUNDRA? I think I've got to drive it just to see if it has enough power to pull out of the dealership lot.:lol:
TACOMA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is something to knaw on if thinking about buying a 07 Tundra. If you want to say lift it and put wheels on it good luck. We measures a 07 Tundra today and it has 5x150 Bolt pattern with a postive 60mm offset. It has the same bolt pattern as a toyota landcrusier 4dr not the new fj but with a way higher offset. And currently there is little to no support for that bolt pattern on the off road market maybe on the high end three piece or custom drilled 20s

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Boy I remember the days when trucks barely made 200 hp now 236 hp is considered insufficient. I would think that for someone looking for a nice 2wd worktruck the V6 would be plenty of power. Now if you intend on hauling heavy loads or towing then the 5.7 would be a better option but honestly if I had a heavy load to pull I'd most likely go with a GM Duramax. Gas engines under heavy loads gulp gas. JMHO.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
gahunter said:

thats like a 05+ tacoma with the I4 motor in it.

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
GTCOMA said:

i think you corrected someone else the other day too.

if you cant find the correct spelling for tacoma around here you need to do something:hammer:

·
Registered
2002 4Runner Sport
277 Posts
Doesn't the new Tundra have a 6 speed auto? Could that account for the seemingly "improved" gas mileage? Or does the 6 speed auto only come w/ the V8? :confused: Even w/ V6/5 speed, gearing could be different, right? Think our Tacos have 4:10 ratio? Just a thought. But a full size should have a V8 anyway & so should our Tacos!!:naughty:

·
Go Hokies!
194 Posts

·
Registered
05 Tacoma DC TRD
216 Posts
The 4.0L engine in the Tacoma is marginal? By whose standards?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Since we talk about motors and transmisions, is 5 speed auto tranny used in 4-runners same as tacoma's, if so, do they use different one for V8's or is it the same as V-6's ?

·
I Drink your Milkshake
810 Posts
kevgray said:
You're one to talk TCOMA.

;)

kev
First off GTACOMA was already taken when i registered in 05' and i liked the way GTCOMA sounded better. GT (My initials) +COMA (an attempt for a witty play on words).

Secondly 90% of the screen names on forums are abbreviations and i that is typically accepted as appropriate.

It's not like it is a hard name to spell. T-a-c-o-m-a
And it is especially not hard to find a spelling reference on a forum dedicated to that one name.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts