Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys. My wife's 08 Taco is driving me crazy. It started making a clicking noise around the passenger side and behind the glove box. I eliminated the filter, debris, and blower motor as the problem. I could actually visualize the air door actuator/servo causing the noise. FYI, I don't know the exact name of this part but I think it's referred to as the air door actuator or servo or air mix controller. It controls the air doors that close and open with the push of the A/C recirculation button. It appears that the servo keeps running and turning the interior gears when it should turn off. I removed the servo and opened it up to find the large white plastic gear missing a tooth. I replaced it with a Dorman replacement for $40 instead of paying over $100 for the OEM part which BTW was a PITA to find an aftermarket part since I couldn't really cross reference the toyota part and couldn't find it on any auto store websites. I replaced it and it worked fine for one day. Now I have the same problem. The servo keeps running when the doors close and the interior gears seem to keep turning which causes the clicking. I was going to open up the new Dorman part but I'm going to replace it instead. BTW, this part is found behind the glove box, above the blower motor and on the left side of the filter housing. A plastic white arm attaches to this part and opens and closes the recirc doors. I'm able to move the arm and doors without any resistance so I either got a defective part or whatever controls the actuator is malfunctioning and not turning it off. Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it? I'm going to order an AC Delco part and see what happens. Does anyone know how the motor/servo works inside this thing as far as what tells it to turn off? Is it programmed to only turn 180* or does it turn off based on when the doors encounter resistance or does some other electronic module control it? Thanks for the help. BTW, I'll update as soon as I fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I fixed it. Sorry I never updated on this forum. BTW, I first tried using the Dorman part from autozone but it started doing the same thing. I think it was a defective part. I wouldn't use the Dorman part. The second time, I used a Standard Motor Products part from rockautodotcom. It's been working great with no problems. I've listed some part numbers below. Again, I'd go with the Standard Motor Products part. Make sure you follow the directions and don't operate the part before you put it all together. It could mess up the part.

Make sure the recirc button is in the "off" position, unplug unit, remove two small screws, slide or pull it off the plastic arm, replace part. Should solve your problem.

Here are a couple part #'s for the HVAC recirculation mode door actuator also known as A/C Blend door.

ACDELCO Part#1573513 (1572858, 15842338, 52494371)
DORMAN Part#604109 (autozone and o'reilly carry this one)
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part#F04007

I think I have a couple pictures if you need them. PM me your email and I'll send them to you. The part is right behind/under the glove box which is also very easy to remove. It probably took me 10-15mins to replace the part. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
jvevil, thanks for the info. on this fix. Would you please share how you ferreted out the Standard Motors Products part number for that servo? Is there a catalog where the other servos can be found too? This would be helpful for members here because some of those HVAC servos are upwards of $170 retail :eek: at stealerships. Too rich for my blood, even through some of the discounters some of those servos are a whopping $110+.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't remember. Toyota's part number didn't really get my anywhere and their OEM servo was outrageously priced. I found out that toy and GM use the same A/C components so I took it from there. I found the GM part number and it looked exactly like the toy part so I gave it a try. I tried auto parts stores and on line catalogs (AC Delco, etc...) to find an aftermarket toy part but nothing was ever found. Since GM and TOY use the same parts I'm positive it's the same exact part with different part numbers. BTW, the SMP part had the same exact stampings on the outer case as the OEM part where the dorman part did not. Don't get me wrong, the dorman part should also work but the SMP even had the same markings on the case. I'm willing to wager the SMP part is the OEM part. Sorry, I don't have any hard evidence or catalog references.

BTW, these things fail because they have plastic gears inside. I took apart my OEM part and one of the gears had a broken tooth. Once a tooth breaks the gears turn on themselves and the whole unit gets out of calibration. The "clicking" you hear is the gears continuing to turn on each other or skip on each other when the unit should have stopped turning. The gears are basically continuing to move against the plastic arm that has already reached it's maximum travel distance and is immovable. It's hard to explain without pics, sorry. The good thing is it's an easy and fast fix than anybody can do. To all those reading, make sure this isn't your problem before you go spending money and repairing/replacing the infamous blower motor problem on these trucks.

·
06 Tacoma
06 Access Cab Tacoma
7 Posts
Thank you again for this valuable information, I have a 2006 access cab and I think My truck also has this issue. I am on this forum several times a week and have learned so much.

Eric

S. E. North Carolina

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got the AC Delco part you listed from rock auto.com. Simple install and has been working great so far. thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
266 Posts

I think I have a couple pictures if you need them. PM me your email and I'll send them to you. The part is right behind/under the glove box which is also very easy to remove. It probably took me 10-15mins to replace the part. Good Luck.
jvevil,

Do you think you could post the pictures on the forum for all of us to see?

Glad you got it fixed! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those of you who have purchased this part did the picture on the website you ordered it from match the actual part? All of those part #s jvevil listed are not the same as mine. Here is a picture of mine, can you confirm its the same one you replaced?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Retion, welcome neighbor! There are three servos on the HVAC:

1. The temperature control (air mix) servo located just above your left foot on the pass. side, and right above, slightly behind the floor heating nozzle.

2. The mode control servo located just above No. 1 above and a bit forward toward the firewall on the main HVAC unit.

3. The air inlet-air recirculation servo, located on the top left just above where the cabin filter part of the HVAC unit is located.

Just to be clear, which one did you go after? I bring this up because the OEM servos has the word "WOORY" just like your picture; but the number on yours kind of looks like that on No. 1 or No. 2 above as I recall.

Tell me which servo you took out and I'll go look at mine and see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
#3, it controlled the recirculation door. My truck would make a constant popping noise under the dash on the passenger side. I took the glove box out and could see the door was not operating properly. Posted a comment on Toyota nation and Jevil gave me a few parts to check out. Went with AC Delco part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Taco'09,
I removed #1 as you described it.

Thank you for all your help!

Also I never clarified but this is also a 2008 Tacoma.

Retion, welcome neighbor! There are three servos on the HVAC:

1. The temperature control (air mix) servo located just above your left foot on the pass. side, and right above, slightly behind the floor heating nozzle.

2. The mode control servo located just above No. 1 above and a bit forward toward the firewall on the main HVAC unit.

3. The air inlet-air recirculation servo, located on the top left just above where the cabin filter part of the HVAC unit is located.

Just to be clear, which one did you go after? I bring this up because the OEM servos has the word "WOORY" just like your picture; but the number on yours kind of looks like that on No. 1 or No. 2 above as I recall.

Tell me which servo you took out and I'll go look at mine and see.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Retion, yea I figured it was No. 1. I just did mine and the number rang a bell. Are you good to go now or do you want me to do something else for you?

BTW, open that sucker up and see how cheaply built those servos are inside. Frail plastic gears and metal pins in shallow plastic guides. The current dealer price for it here is $175+tax.

Glad you got to it in time. Guess what happens when the plastic drive limiting piece that is supposed to stop the motor breaks inside on that No. 1 servo? The motor drive keeps going and it breaks off the cam pin or arm on that flap of the HVAC unit. The only way to fix it is to tear out the whole dash and tear apart the entire HVAC unit, which you need to remove the windshield wiper motor and arms, and remove the coolant hoses, and the steering wheel and column and a bunch of other stuff. The only thing left in tact is the accelerator pedal, brake pedal and clutch pedal if you have one.

But I'll bet it saved $0.25 per vehicle by not putting a replaceable arm piece on that one flap like the ones on the other six....

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yea, give it a shot an see what happens.

Make sure you dry run the servo using the temp. dial turning it cold>>>hot>>>cold a few of times to make sure the motor does not drive it too far before screwing it back on to the cam mount. That servo is the most critical of the three meaning it has the least room for costly mistakes.

I farmed the deep discounters of OEM parts and at the time I bought mine I think I paid $113 or so.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've got the similar thing going on with my 2008 Tundra TRD. Do any of you know if any of the SMP or AC parts will cross reference to the TRD?

Thanks,
Old Man Doug
Nebraska

1 - 20 of 49 Posts