Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Which Which is Which?

abronola, so far we have only been able to ferret out aftermarket part numbers for the top-most servo, the one called the Air Mix located above the fresh air filter intake (the one that controls air recirculation).

The Toy part number you gave 87106-04050 applies to either the middle servo (mode control) or the lower heater flap (Air Mix No. 2) servo up until 4/2008. Thereafter 4/2008 the heater, Air Mix No. 2) has a new part number of 87106-04060.

The point being we have not identified an aftermarket part number for these other servos yet. Which is strange because the first part of that number string on the case is clearly a GM (Delphi) part number and much of the whole Toy system is used on GM trucks and cars.

·
Registered
'05 Tacoma
41 Posts
Looking for some help guys.
05 with 78k miles, just started blowing warm. The compressor kicks in and stays running.

The warm/cold servo dial appears to work the servo when I move the temperature dial.

But it appears there is some type of oil that is leaking near this servo or the servo itself. Can these servos leak oil ?

Does it seem feasible that this servo could be the problem with blowing warm air?

All the servos are working (I can hear them) when I operate the the 2 dials and recirc button.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Looking for some help guys.
05 with 78k miles, just started blowing warm. The compressor kicks in and stays running.

The warm/cold servo dial appears to work the servo when I move the temperature dial.

But it appears there is some type of oil that is leaking near this servo or the servo itself. Can these servos leak oil ?

Does it seem feasible that this servo could be the problem with blowing warm air?

All the servos are working (I can hear them) when I operate the the 2 dials and recirc button.

Thanks,
Dennis
Off the top of my head I do not initially believe that your problem is related to the servo issue. Rather for an 05 I gotta think all the refrigerant has now leaked out.

Do this. With the engine running and the AC button pushed and dial set at max cold and run for 5 min. Lift the hood and on the right side (passenger) you will see two aluminum tubes coming out of the firewall. One is larger diameter than the other. Take your bare hand and grab the large tube. Does the tube have frost on the outside, feel super cold or moderately cold or not cold at all? Report back and we will go from there.

Others have reported oil around a servo or dripped on the flood. The servos have grease in them and I suspect the oil separated over time and leaks through the seam on the case. Maybe post a pic or two so we can see.

You can check whether all the servos are working. There are three. I like to remove the glove box and grab a mirror and flashlight to see. With the engine off turn the key to the second step where all the instrument lights come on but do not start. Sit in the pass seat.

You can turn the temp dial and see and hear the lower most servo in operation; then turn the mode control dial (the one that directs air to feet, face, etc.) you can see and hear it too; then push the recirculation button. The servo for it controls two flaps on the inlet air. It is located above the cabin air filter.

The servos may strain a bit because they are little motors but you should not hear an incessant rythmic clicking like a plastic on one of the internal gears is broken or other bizarre noises. The servos should not run in perpetuity but stop once their respective positions are reached.

\

·
Registered
'05 Tacoma
41 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, I can hear all servos work.

After running a while, the tubing is warm to touch, so it must be low on freon.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, I can hear all servos work.

After running a while, the tubing is warm to touch, so it must be low on freon.

Thanks.
Yeah, there is actually a known average leak rate. The worst is at the compressor because it is tough to seal a rotating shaft. Also the system does not hold very much and runs under very high pressure so there is not much of a reserve or tolerance for over- or under-filling. The old systems held a bunch of refrigerant and ran at lower pressures so they would often go for a long time and still cool very well.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,981 Posts
Yeah, my '05 got too low to blow cold air a year ago IIRC. Recharged and all has been good since. This should be a common problem for both '05 and '06 MYs now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all great info here. my recirc servo only rotates one way stopping when the door is on outside air i can replace the part as instructed but my question is the light on the button for recirc does not light up or stop the servo from turning was this the case with yours? and when part is replaced does it function again? thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 05 xrunner blows cold on the left, warm in the middle and hot on the right vents

and after looking at threads and parts list pdf's and seeing that theres 3 servos, do they all use the same servo or are all three unique, and do you know which one exactly controls the air temp mixture as i believe this is what i need to replace. a part number or aftermarket part number would be greatly appreciated. thanks

41 - 49 of 49 Posts