Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im wondering if anyone has added an intake to their 1.8l matrix... if so any news about it?

i tried to make my own intake but am stuck because i believe i dont have a long enough vacuum hose. ( i think thats what it is.) but anyways, i have it all setup, just that i cannot connect the black hose from engine to the intake. blah! anyone know where i can get this hose?

heres some pics:

sry, its a camera phone picture.. but yea, this is pretty much how it would look if i had all connected..

in the first picture, you can see the black hose is not connected to the intake pipe... second picture, it is how it'd look if it was finished. third picture, a closer look.. (MAF sensor isnt screwed in btw... no point if not gona work!?)

but yea, i haven't tried driving with the hose disconnected fearing to damage my engine.. idk :headbang:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, but i still need to look for a hose to connect the vacuum. blah. that guy seems to have an extention.

·
Registered
09 Corolla Matrix
665 Posts
I imagine the hoses came with the kit.

you could try an auto store or maybe a hydraulic hose repair shop for one.

·
Registered
09 Corolla Matrix
665 Posts
Cool. Hopefully that other dude will not follow you over to this forum to tell you how a ram is not a ram, sucks in more dirty air blah blah.....jk

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update

well, heres the update of my intake.
(sry camera phone)

(Camera)

added a hanger type wire to hold intake in place with battery... i didnt have any other way to support it up.

it pretty much runs fine, just starting the engine sounds funny.. i think it has a late start too.. and while driving at a certain speed.. i think 30 mph or something i head a metal rattling noise idk. but doesnt seem to affect performance.

runs relatively quiet untill you hit 3K RPM you can hear it roar :D ... my check engine light is on though. i kind of dont care.

& yes, i kind of modified the "universal" spectre MAF sensor adapter to fit it... didnt know another way to do it, but it has a good seal to it. about that hose i needed to connect, the vacuum i think it was, i found a fuel hose laying around and i cut it to length and it fit perfectly to extend the stock hose to the intake tube.;)

hope it stays running okay... only thing bothering me is the weird rattling noise and the late start of engine. Check engine light isnt anything to worry right?

·
Registered
09 Corolla Matrix
665 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't be too content with that. At least get the codes read and find out what is throwing the CEL and fix the rattle? try and support it better.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
09 Matrix Base
6 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery when you installed it? I had the CEL on with mine but once i disconnected the battery and then reconnected it the CEL went away.

·
Registered
09 Corolla Matrix
665 Posts
The obd port is down near the hood latch release

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys, i'll try both when i have time. I didnt disconnect battery because i didnt feel like reconfiguring all the radio stations and sound setttings. i guess ima write them down and do it, if that doesnt work i'll try the code reader

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that rattling noise is most likely the coat hanger thing.

no, it's not... its been there before i put that in to hold it up. i'm thinking about changing the filter to something else.. how much of a difference in sound and performance if i put a fujita filter?

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
Cool. Hopefully that other dude will not follow you over to this forum to tell you how a ram is not a ram, sucks in more dirty air blah blah.....jk
Haha...can't really understand him. But anyway, I already got mine installed. Here's are the pics. And everything is fine, no check engine light whatsoever. And it sounds very nice when pass about 3K.

·
Matrix Owner
09 Matrix
28 Posts
Anyone make a NON hot engine bay sucking intake???

Notice any gain from the intake, or just throttle response?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm guessing just throttle response. i have fun listening to the growl though ;)

i'm thinkin about changing the filter to AEM... or something . . . will it make a difference? i have no idea what brand this filter is, i got it from a friend's attic

·
Registered
09 Corolla Matrix
665 Posts
Anyone make a NON hot engine bay sucking intake???

Notice any gain from the intake, or just throttle response?
Check the 09+ Corolla forum. I think that injen are putting together a CAI for the 1.8l with the ram style pulling air from the fog light area.

·
Matrix Owner
09 Matrix
28 Posts
Check the 09+ Corolla forum. I think that injen are putting together a CAI for the 1.8l with the ram style pulling air from the fog light area.
now where talking, I'll have to check that out, you talking about the Corolla forum on here or?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts