Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lexus IS350
2,409 Posts
Besides putting a solar shade or something on your windshield to minimize the heat/sun that hits it, then there is no fix.

·
Sunny South Florida
145 Posts
That is absolutely not true. You need to take the vehicle in to the local dealer you use. They have to fill out a Good Faith Repair form which asks some very specific information. The form is submitted to Toyota for review. I can tell you that I have 2 08s coming in tomorrow with dash boards being replaced. Both have very weak Service Historys at the Dealer and Toyota is covering 50% of the repair.

The issue with the Dash is only in Extremely warm weather climate states. To the best of my knowledge they were only seeing isues in Florida and Hawaii!

·
Premium Member
Lexus IS350
2,409 Posts
That is absolutely not true. You need to take the vehicle in to the local dealer you use. They have to fill out a Good Faith Repair form which asks some very specific information. The form is submitted to Toyota for review. I can tell you that I have 2 08s coming in tomorrow with dash boards being replaced. Both have very weak Service Historys at the Dealer and Toyota is covering 50% of the repair.

The issue with the Dash is only in Extremely warm weather climate states. To the best of my knowledge they were only seeing isues in Florida and Hawaii!
It is more often seen in the Southern/sunny/hot states, not never seen at all in the other states. I've got a few buddies up north (Midwest) who have had theirs replaced already, given it a while and it gets tacky again. Toyota never changed the dash material at all for those years so replacing it *may* not be a permanent fix.

You just never see these sort of complaints except from the people who tend to touch their dash/play with their cars more than the average person, or because the person doesn't care about it. It's just a case of Toyota using a material they should not have used, or at least tested it better in sunnier/hotter states before OK'ing it for use. Regardless of the state I'm in, when it's hot, the dash gets sticky, and I've done everything I can since I've owned the car to stop that from happening.

Reactions: shawnwilloughby

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts

We all know the dealer service history plays a HUGE role in "good faith" repairs by Toyota. With the premium you pay at the dealer, you've pretty much already paid for the 'free' repair you're getting. It's almost like penalizing those of us who work on their own cars or take it elsewhere.

Do you happen to know if Japan-built Camrys are also coming in for replacements? Hawaii is effing hot and humid but I still feel like it's a defect in the dash pad material. A friend of mine works in the Lexus service department and he posts pictures constantly of dash pads that he has to replace. Mostly the RX but we have an Avalon in the family with the same cracked dash problem, and I know it affected the GX as well.

My gf's '09 Camry (Japan built) has a dash pad in perfect condition thus far. No tint or sunshade for the first 1.5 years. Afterward, it was tinted and she puts a sunshade up front AND back while parked at work in the sun. Her coworkers think it's funny but I do the same if my Camry will be parked all day in the sun.

My gf's sister bought a '13 Corolla 4 months ago and I noticed the dash is just hard plastic. Definitely NOT luxurious but it will probably hold up better. She tinted the car a few days later and also uses a sunshade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.