Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started hearing a knocking sound when turning corners, after taking to dealership twice the second time they determined that the front axles are bad/going bad and need replacement, I'm not sure if this is "normal", car is 5 years old with just under 80K miles on it, repair quote is $1300+tax from Toyota. Anyone encounter similar issues? Or comment on repair cost? I'm going to check around and try to get some quotes elsewhere, the price is for Toyota parts because they can't find any aftermarket parts, although I googled and found lots which seem to be priced much lower than the $900 they quote ( although I'm not sure if i'm looking at the correct parts, basically it says 09 Corolla Axle).

Appreciate any comments, thanks!

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
1,063 Posts
I just changed mine 2 weeks ago (both) a 2010 with 82000 miles on it I thought it was because I do autocross and drift occasionally I also order the TRD strut brace, but the way I see it for 80000 miles on the road is not that bad and yes I paid over 1500 at the Toyota dealer :headbang:

Reactions: blck_rolla

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,431 Posts
I've heard of people replacing CV joints & wheel bearings but never the axles. How does the axle go bad unless it's bent in an accident? The other option would be to find a set in a salvage yard.

·
Registered
12 Corolla S
29 Posts
Generally CV axles go bad after the boot is torn and the grease is flung out or water gets inside the boot. Chunks of ice can cut them in the winter when the boots are cold and stiff.

·
uh..no, it's not a hybrid
3,486 Posts
When CV joints go bad they generally start making a clicking sound, particularly around corners.

A clunking sound would make me check struts and sway bar links and tie rod ends...all suspension...all less expensive to fix. I wouldn't delve into CV joints until like ricknzep said you have torn boots and all the grease is gone. But hey, that's just me.

I would get a second opinion. Take it to a suspension shop as well as they specialize in that area rather than a one stop shop for the entire car like a dealership. Mechanics are not infallible and they can easily be wrong as they see your car for 5 mins, offer a quote and opinion and they are on to the next.

Reactions: ricknzep

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, basically what I was told by the Toyota tech was something to the effect of what you guys have mentioned, the boot gets torn, grease leaks out and axles grind against each other which means that they need to get changed because the axles could eventually end up breaking. I'm wondering though whether just the boot being replaced will be a temporary fix, although I've seen online where it says if your're hearing that knocking/ticking sound its already too late...

LeanBurn, its not necessarily a "clunking" sound, but more of a knocking/ticking sound that only occurs when i'm turning, feel like i'm hearing it even more now after getting the car back from Toyota..:facepalm:

Anyways I need to get a second opinion and quote for the repair so i'll probably be taking it elsewhere to get it checked..

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,431 Posts
Generally CV axles go bad after the boot is torn and the grease is flung out or water gets inside the boot. Chunks of ice can cut them in the winter when the boots are cold and stiff.
I've always known them as CV joints & not CV axles as the CV joint was separate from the axle. That being said it is important to check the CV boots on a regular basis for cuts & tears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems as though they are called CV axles, not sure I may be wrong. But I've been doing some searching online and found a manufacturer called Cardone that has both remanufactured and new axles. I found the ones for th 09 Corolla that seem to sell for between $45-$60 -ish each from different sites online, a huge fraction of the cost of the $900 for both from Toyota. I'm a bit weary that it's that much cheaper, but the parts come with a limited lifetime warranty. They also seem to do a lot of marketing (Youtube videos etc) about the high quality of their products. I've read a few reviews online that seem to say that the Cardone Select (new parts) are actually good quality.

Following are the links to the parts from Cardone, in case anyone is interested, or if anyone has any experience with the parts..

Right Side

Left

Likely, i'll go with these and go to a small local shop and get them installed.

·
Registered
2012 Corolla S
167 Posts
Technically, they are called halfshafts. But commonly referred to as CV Axles.

Also, they can sometimes make a 'clunk' sound, but generally make a clicking or ticking noise. 80,000 actually isn't too bad. I've definitely seen cars with lower mileage come into the shop that need them pretty badly.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,431 Posts
Technically, they are called halfshafts. But commonly referred to as CV Axles.

Also, they can sometimes make a 'clunk' sound, but generally make a clicking or ticking noise. 80,000 actually isn't too bad. I've definitely seen cars with lower mileage come into the shop that need them pretty badly.
This is what I've always known them as too, half-shafts. The CV joint were a different part but maybe that has changed. I've never had to replace one on any Toyota even with 300k + miles. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts