Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many posts about the EPS, it does sometimes feel as if the car is being blown by the wind, but is this because the EPS is a more advanced system? Im sure I will get used to it, just wanted to hear everyones thoughts.

09 Corolla s auto Blue Streak Metallic

·
Registered
124 Posts
Car Handles curves well, but has no sense of straight ahead.

Requires constant correction to maintain correct course.

Steering way too twitchy - German Front Wheel Drives don't do this.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
it has less feeling of the road compare to the traditional steering, but once you get used to it, it feels alright. Because it doesn't have a power steering pump and belt, less maintenance in the long run

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea i figured i would get used to it, its not horrible, and so far im loving everything about the car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As "Car and Driver" put it "Our one major complaint: The new electric-assist power steering has a herky-jerky feel, the result a nonlinearity in the assist curve that amplifies small corrections."

The steering feel is non-existent when travelling in a straight line - then as the car drifts from wind or road imperfections, you tend to overcorrect because by the time you "feel" your steering input, the motor has moved the steering rack farther than you really wanted...

Hopefully the electric system will be at least as durable as the old-fashioned hydraulic pump system.

·
First time Corolla owner
2009 Corolla
573 Posts
I really don't know what you guys are talking about. My car is perfectly fine, I could drive down the road with no hands for a very long period of time, or driving with "one finger" at the bottom of the steering wheel and I have no problems what so ever. Even in the wind I still don't have a problem, it was EXTREMELY windy in the GTA on friday, and raining and I could still drive down the road with just 1 hand and the car went perfectly straight. I think you may just be dreaming.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I really don't know what you guys are talking about. My car is perfectly fine, I could drive down the road with no hands for a very long period of time, or driving with "one finger" at the bottom of the steering wheel and I have no problems what so ever. Even in the wind I still don't have a problem, it was EXTREMELY windy in the GTA on friday, and raining and I could still drive down the road with just 1 hand and the car went perfectly straight. I think you may just be dreaming.

yeah the steering is fine.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The way a car tracks and the steering feel is usually associated with the overall suspension geometry. Manufactures have to decide on the degree of boost that will please a wide range of customers. Unless it's a dedicated "SPORTS" car, they tend to bias on the side of that easy to drive Cadillac in the shopping malls tight parking spaces. The 09 could probability benefit from less power steering boost but unfortunately we're all stuck with the current set-up. Let's not forget that it's only a Corolla which is made for a wide range of buyers ("S" and "XRS" compared to the base models are just the same cupcake with different icing).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I test drove a 2009 and have a 2010, the steering is a bit better on the 2010 but if your used to stiff steering you will find it loose, I actually like it a lot less effort then my old car.

·
Old Fart
09 rolla
729 Posts
I know when I got my new tires after 2k and the tire dealership said that the toe was out of alignment on both sides. This was stock from the dealership so perhaps this may account for some of the issues other people are having? It drives like a dream now

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah I have to agree that it is very difficult to keep this car straight, this is a huge disapointment besides the poor radio reception the car is great. As far as the steering goes I thought that at higher speeds it was suppose the get stiffer which I dont feel.
And 2nd I have 16 on factory alloy's I think they are Bidgestones.
could it be the tire size? I have to say the car was great in the snow a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It surely could be an alignment issue. It hasn't gotten better in 41,000 miles.

When I complained to Toyota, the service writer said they checked it and it was "within specs."

I'm sure my car never got near an alignment rack at the dealer.

They have just blown off most of my complaint issues.

I'm certain when I replace the crummy goodyear tires and pay to get it properly aligned It will be much better.

The dealer service is much more disapointing than the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd say steering in the 09 (Corolla S here) is a bit on the softer side. Sometimes when steering quickly, like when getting out of a parking spot or negotiating through a tight area (because I hate dry steering and avoid it if possible), I can hear the electric motor buzzing a bit, so it's definitely there working. Personally, I don't mind the lighter steering much. It's something that probably just takes some time getting used to especially if you're used to driving a car with a bit sportier handling characteristics.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla Xrs
383 Posts
I know when I got my new tires after 2k and the tire dealership said that the toe was out of alignment on both sides. This was stock from the dealership so perhaps this may account for some of the issues other people are having? It drives like a dream now
Hmm... Worth looking into.

Likewise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an XRS... and in 36,000-ish miles, I have not gotten used to the steering... rather, more and more irritated with each gust of wind. It's a pain in ass to steer in tight places, and driving with a crosswind usually requires me to stop every so often to make sure I didn't stripe my undies.

Can't wait until my 100K warranty is up so I can get rid of this damn thing.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
1,384 Posts
I have an XRS... and in 36,000-ish miles, I have not gotten used to the steering... rather, more and more irritated with each gust of wind. It's a pain in ass to steer in tight places, and driving with a crosswind usually requires me to stop every so often to make sure I didn't stripe my undies.

Can't wait until my 100K warranty is up so I can get rid of this damn thing.
Didn't you test drove it before you go ahead and put your money down? If you didn't like it in the first place...why bought it?

·
First time Corolla owner
2009 Corolla
573 Posts
Didn't you test drove it before you go ahead and put your money down? If you didn't like it in the first place...why bought it?

AGREED!!!! If you don't like the car, or drove it and didn't discover these things, then why do you still have it/why did you buy it.

I test drove the car twice, I was the only one who drove it, boyfriend and mom decided its my car and it's the way I want it. I had a Hyundai before this and the steering was sooooooooooo stiff on that thing that this is a miracle!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I swear at least 1/2 of the members of this forum are the biggest group of whiners that I have ever had the pleasure of conversing with... guys & gals... its a brand new car... I assume since its a brand new car that you are most likely the one who entered the dealership, TEST DROVE the car, and then bought the car... correct me if I am wrong but during a test drive you do have to actually steer the car right!!??? The EPS works fine.., I can let go of my wheel at anytime on a straight stretch and guess what... it goes straight... none of this "I can barely hold the road" BS! :clap:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts