Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, Ive done lots of searching and haven't found quite what I am looking for.

Closest I have seen is Sosche's Box but heard a lot of bad things about it. Rattling and vibrations, and what not. Also, being plastic.

Also the JL stealthbox but that is for 2 x 10s and I have my own single 10 i want to use. Not to mention the price of that thing.

I looked at the tacotunes box but it requires lots of plastic cutting. Not something I want to do, especially on a lease that I may not end up buying out.

Im looking for a single 10" sub enclosure I can use with a shallow mount sub, 3.5" top mounting depth, behind the rear seats without any major modifications. Would like to put it behind the drivers side rear passenger seat, would be willing to remove plastic all together if there was a snug fit box that would allow for that as well.

Rockford makes a wedge box for the sub with the following dimensions: H 13.5" x W 19.00" x D 5.25"-3.25" (34.3cm x 48.3cm x 13.3cm-8.3cm) Will this fit in an 09 Dbl Cab? I can't check, my Truck isn't arriving for 3 weeks!

10" Rockford Sub - P3SD210 - 3.5" Top Mounting Depth
Requires 0.5v cubic feet for a sealed enclosure.

Has anyone on here built their own custom sub box for this application?

If so, can you post pics and/or the specs/dimensions necessary for this setup?

Thanks.

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search for Mjonags box...He built it himself. It's real nice.
Just checked it out, nice setup, but I'm looking for a sub box for the 40 side of the rear split. Probably just install the amp in storage space under that seat.

·
Registered
06 TRD Sport 4x4
1,459 Posts
Then your best bet may be the Tacotunes box or something similar. Just remove the entire plastic tray on the 40 side since it's a lease.

I ordered one from Taco Tunes 2 weeks ago with the Image Dynamics sub. Still waiting for it to arrive. :rolleyes:

·
<< workaholic
toyotas damnit
85 Posts
there is a brace spot welded to the back wall that prohibits you from just puttin in a truck style wedge box. if you pull out all the plastic, and use a body saw or equivelent to cut the brace out you can put almost any style truck box in that you'd like. it probably wont sound all that great but it'll make some noise. your best bet is to get one of the premade boxes that forms around the brace, its the easiest to install and is at the least hassle to the installer, (you). after your lease is up you can easily pull the box out and re-install all your plastic pieces and never know anything happened, even if you cut out one half of the brace, when you re-install the plastic nobody will know.

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a brace spot welded to the back wall that prohibits you from just puttin in a truck style wedge box. if you pull out all the plastic, and use a body saw or equivelent to cut the brace out you can put almost any style truck box in that you'd like. it probably wont sound all that great but it'll make some noise. your best bet is to get one of the premade boxes that forms around the brace, its the easiest to install and is at the least hassle to the installer, (you). after your lease is up you can easily pull the box out and re-install all your plastic pieces and never know anything happened, even if you cut out one half of the brace, when you re-install the plastic nobody will know.

Does the plastic brace run the full length behind the rear seats? So, which ever route I go have to design a box with an indent to allow for the brace?

·
Registered
toyota tacoma
58 Posts
I used a box form tacotunes and had no problems. Just take the whole piece of plastic out like others have suggested.

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a box form tacotunes and had no problems. Just take the whole piece of plastic out like others have suggested.
The box doesn't move anywhere? looks like without the plastic surrounding the box it would be too small and have movement.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I built my own box to fit a 10" RF HX2 which is fairly large with a 5 7/16" top mount depth.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rdCNsTNpe94/p_575RFD2210/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-HX2-RFD2210.html

I had to remove the plastic off the back of the rear seat on the driver side and the rear plastic panel so it just fits. I have the design dimensions around here somewhere using 3/4" mdf that I can post up when I find it.

I can take some pictures tomorrow evening as well if you want.

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to remove the plastic off the back of the rear seat on the driver side and the rear plastic panel so it just fits. I have the design dimensions around here somewhere using 3/4" mdf that I can post up when I find it.

I can take some pictures tomorrow evening as well if you want.
That would be great. Thanks.

I just got some dimensions from Robots21, very helpful. Looking like the best option yet.

·
Taco Salad!!
2007 Tacoma DC LB
552 Posts
Hey, was about to send you a PM about the plastic cutting. The box I made is very similar in size to the tacotunes box, and yes you have to cut a lot of plastic to get it to fit. You could easily do what others have said and just remove the plastic from behind the 40 side of the seats, that way if you ever decide to take the box out you can go back to stock very easily. Good luck man!

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made a box not to long ago to house a 12" shallow mount. I used the whole width of the rear to accommodate everything but could be made to fit whatever u need really easily. Total sub box parts cost was maybe $45 if that.

Take a look if you want...
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=294265
Nice work. Lots of good ideas on here.

Hey, was about to send you a PM about the plastic cutting. The box I made is very similar in size to the tacotunes box, and yes you have to cut a lot of plastic to get it to fit. You could easily do what others have said and just remove the plastic from behind the 40 side of the seats, that way if you ever decide to take the box out you can go back to stock very easily. Good luck man!
Dang, I thought I could get away without removing or cutting. I guess I will have to remove the plastic all together if I wish to get a sub back there.:headbang:

I think that I am just going to have to wait for the Truck to arrive before I can make a final decision on what I want to do for a box. I am pretty sure I can't live without a sub after having aftermarket stereos for the last 8 years.

I will update / post pics when I finally get around to the stereo install, hopefully middle / end of may.

Thanks for all the input guys. :clap:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Dang, I thought I could get away without removing or cutting. I guess I will have to remove the plastic all together if I wish to get a sub back there.:headbang:
Yup. There's not much room back there even with the panels removed.

I also ripped off the child seat hook.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yup. There's not much room back there even with the panels removed.

I also ripped off the child seat hook.
Yeah I did that as well, drilled out the welds holding the seat hooks onto the rear brace. Personally, I thought those seat hooks were a PITA to use anyways.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hey bro I had too much running around to do tonight and didn't get a chance to take any pics or dig up those drawings.

I'll fire them up tomorrow.

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey bro I had too much running around to do tonight and didn't get a chance to take any pics or dig up those drawings.

I'll fire them up tomorrow.
No worries, i'm still waiting on the truck, lol.

Thanks for doing it though.

·
Registered
764 Posts
No worries, I'm still waiting on the truck, lol.

Thanks for doing it though.
Ok I don't have the drawings anymore. I must have tossed them because I'm not sure where they are.

The dimensions are (H x W x D) 15.5" x 12" x 6.5" using 3/4" MDF.

The grove in the back is (H x D) 2" x 1" and it starts 9.5" up from the bottom.

I just used polyfill as a padding layer at the bottom and behind the sub with it rolled up a bit near the top so the seat could put pressure on it to prevent it from rattling. No point in going for looks since it's hidden anyway.

When sitting in the seat you can barely feel the polyfill pushing on it since it's near the top.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All i can say is build one yourself, I have built quite a few for the tacoma dc and they all rocked.
Right now, with my current box, i have the bench seat removed with 2 15s in the middle one facing up and one facing forwards with custom made seats on each side. I should have pictures of it up sooner or later. I can build a box for anyone, as long as its for a double cab , since id be using my own truck as a mold for the fiberglass back part of the box. i can do any size any shape for any size sub that will fit within the correct depth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts