Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Highlander hybrid shifter getting very hard to move.

Diagnostic advice anyone???

200,000 miles. We have been getting hammered with snow but this isn't an issue of just cold hard to shift....It's just as challenging when warm.

You have to press hard on the brake and you can move it but it has more resistance. When it's in drive it doesnt always catch and I have to juggle it....

How to I move forward to determine what's going on?

Shift cable?

Shifter solinoid ?

Battery cap blocking the shift cable?? (I've read that)

How do I remove the shifter handle to remove the trim?

·
7,490 Posts
I say you should. HyHi-s are ridiculously reliable cars and not much going on here repairs wise.

My wild guess will be cable needs to be removed and lubricated though when you mentioned that you really need to step onto brake pedal, it may be brake pedal sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a problem like this with my 2008 HiH.It goes very hard between the gears, no matter how hard i depress the break pedal. Also, i can not go to B. I go with the stick over there, but it is not staying there and it does not switch from D to B light. . So no B for me..... I bought it like this...
Any ideea ... ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any update on this solution? My 09 Highlander Hybrid is hard to shift from Park to Drive and keep it in drive. Then, vice versa placing it into Park. When trying to start the car to drive next time it won’t start since it’s not being placed into Park previously. I tried to wiggle it just right etc and this only happens when it is cooler outside...under 40 degrees or so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok great news everyone. This is an easy solution!

Don't take apart the interior or mess around with the shifter in the center console! (i did that first)

The problem resides outside the car in an incredibly easy place to get to.

Its under the car near the front bumper (hybrid at least).

The shifter linkage comes off the cvt and its a linkage on a ball that moves when you move the shifter. It has a little rubber accordian boot on it.

It corrodes and doesn't move freely.

Lie on your back with a can of wd40 and squirt this linkage.

Go into the car and move the shifter back and forth to work it into there.

You can have an assistant shift while you spray too.

You will be AMAZED at how simple this frustrating problem is to get restored to normal original functionality.

Mine seems to need lube every 12 months in the fall.... I did it last year this time and i just this week noticed i need to do it again with temps in the 30s and 40s.

Once i lube it up im good.

I sprayed with wd40 or pb blaster to loosen up the crude them i hit it with silicon spray to lubricate it last year.

Wd40 is truely a solvent not a lube keep in mind.

I can try to get Pics if anyone needs them

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok great news everyone. This is an easy solution!

Don't take apart the interior or mess around with the shifter in the center console! (i did that first)

The problem resides outside the car in an incredibly easy place to get to.

Its under the car near the front bumper (hybrid at least).

The shifter linkage comes off the cvt and its a linkage on a ball that moves when you move the shifter. It has a little rubber accordian boot on it.

It corrodes and doesn't move freely.

Lie on your back with a can of wd40 and squirt this linkage.

Go into the car and move the shifter back and forth to work it into there.

You can have an assistant shift while you spray too.

You will be AMAZED at how simple this frustrating problem is to get restored to normal original functionality.

Mine seems to need lube every 12 months in the fall.... I did it last year this time and i just this week noticed i need to do it again with temps in the 30s and 40s.

Once i lube it up im good.

I sprayed with wd40 or pb blaster to loosen up the crude them i hit it with silicon spray to lubricate it last year.

Wd40 is truely a solvent not a lube keep in mind.

I can try to get Pics if anyone needs them
PLEASE! Pictures would be appreciated very much. My car is in the second shop as the first couldn't get it into park and refused to do anything. The second is currently looking over the shifter rod and seeing if a fix on that would work. The alternative he mentioned...removing the tranny to disconnect it since it's placed right in the middle for at least $2,500 !!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
After talking to the mechanic, the first remedy he tried was to spray the linkage as he saw rust underneath. Unfortunately, this wasn't a solution for our own car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a problem like this with my 2008 HiH.It goes very hard between the gears, no matter how hard i depress the break pedal. Also, i can not go to B. I go with the stick over there, but it is not staying there and it does not switch from D to B light. . So no B for me..... I bought it like this...
Any ideea ... ??
We just took out 2008 Hybrid Highlander to the local Toyota dealership for service. Repair/replace: replace shift cable.

Last year, we replaced the bushing after having the same issues(difficulty shifting into drive), and lubricating the shift cable.

We began having the same issues about 60 days ago, but shifting into drive became even more difficult than last year and while stopped at a stop light the vehicle slipped out of gear into neutral. We also began having issues if we were parked on an incline shifting into drive.

The cost to replace $1550. Our Highlander has 180,600 miles and has been one of the most reliable vehicles I’ve ever owned next to my Nissan Maxima. We decided to have the repair made.

·
Registered
2 Posts
09 Highlander hybrid shifter getting very hard to move.

Diagnostic advice anyone???

200,000 miles. We have been getting hammered with snow but this isn't an issue of just cold hard to shift....It's just as challenging when warm.

You have to press hard on the brake and you can move it but it has more resistance. When it's in drive it doesnt always catch and I have to juggle it....

How to I move forward to determine what's going on?

Shift cable?

Shifter solinoid ?

Battery cap blocking the shift cable?? (I've read that)

How do I remove the shifter handle to remove the trim?
**we replaced the shift cable ($1500) and it took care of the issue. Our 2008 Highlander Hybrid has 185,0000 miles on, great vehicle. 100% worth the money spent. It had been going bad for a long time. The cost is high due to the labor, they have to take the dash apart. About 8 hours of labor. We took ours to the Toyota dealership.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts