Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'd need support on an issue I have on my '09 Matrix 2.4L 5 speed manual transmission.

I changed the manual transmission fluid over the weekend using this product : MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 Gear Oil

Now, after a few days, the 2nd gear at low rpm began to ''jerk' sometines (2 or 3 times at this point)'. I believe ''jerk'' this is the right term.

What could be the cause of this? I am pretty sure the oil is the right one I need and the only other variable is the oil level, but I put the car levelled and filled the transmission until it started to leak from the fill hole...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doubt the oil is the issue. Clutch issues?
Doubt the oil is the is the issue too.

When looking for the oil fill plug, I thought it was on top of the transmission so I removed the air box, unplugged the MAF, and maybe didn't reconnect something properly... Will look there later today.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,855 Posts
I would try to cycle through the gears to see if the synchros would bind just with engine off.

Try bleeding the slave cylinder to see if this improves. I have a similar issue rowing through 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 2nd gears. This is on going for me, but doesn't happen all the time. I did bleed the slave cylinder to no success.

You could try cleaning the clutch fork behind the boot on the slave cylinder.

It could also be the shifter shaft on top of the transmission.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would try to cycle through the gears to see if the synchros would bind just with engine off.

Try bleeding the slave cylinder to see if this improves. I have a similar issue rowing through 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 2nd gears. This is on going for me, but doesn't happen all the time. I did bleed the slave cylinder to no success.

You could try cleaning the clutch fork behind the boot on the slave cylinder.

It could also be the shifter shaft on top of the transmission.
Was your issue related to a transmission fluid change? The gears seem to engage properly though, do you think the 2nd could be not engaging properly?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,855 Posts
Mine was prior to the fluid change.

Previous owner told me they used redline mt90 gl4.

Under my ownership, I added solid shifter bushings and shifter cage solid bushings. After these were added, that's when I noticed the notchy shifting. It was mostly in 2nd gear at first.

I decided to change the fluid. Using RP synchromax gear oil 75w90 Gl4. The shifts aren't as crisp, but it does depend on trans fluid temperature in conjunction with ambient temps. Noticed that it is smooth as glass of ambient temps is above 90 degrees F. Anything below that, it does rear it's ugly head.

Will be changing fluids again soon. Going to use Valvoline 75w90 gl4 and drive 1000 miles. Then drain and refill with more Valvoline. Then drive another 1000 miles and then add redline mt90. Then drain one last time in 1000 miles and add more redline mt90. Hopefully I haven't done more damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was prior to the fluid change.

Previous owner told me they used redline mt90 gl4.

Under my ownership, I added solid shifter bushings and shifter cage solid bushings. After these were added, that's when I noticed the notchy shifting. It was mostly in 2nd gear at first.

I decided to change the fluid. Using RP synchromax gear oil 75w90 Gl4. The shifts aren't as crisp, but it does depend on trans fluid temperature in conjunction with ambient temps. Noticed that it is smooth as glass of ambient temps is above 90 degrees F. Anything below that, it does rear it's ugly head.

Will be changing fluids again soon. Going to use Valvoline 75w90 gl4 and drive 1000 miles. Then drain and refill with more Valvoline. Then drive another 1000 miles and then add redline mt90. Then drain one last time in 1000 miles and add more redline mt90. Hopefully I haven't done more damage.
I’m thinking I should have just keep the old oil. I thought buying quality Redline oil wouldn’t cause any issue...

What are your symptoms exactly?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,855 Posts
It occurs in 2nd and 3rd. When I go to 3rd, it doesn't gate right away. It feels like it's hitting something.

It's just not smooth. I don't know if this is just a characteristic of the c60 trans or something else.

The reason I am planning to do all the drains and refills is to ensure that I get the old MT90 and RP out as much as possible. And since the manual trans doesn't have a drain pan, the only way to know if there's wear on the synchro is to look in the fluid.

Will update the progress in a week or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It occurs in 2nd and 3rd. When I go to 3rd, it doesn't gate right away. It feels like it's hitting something.

It's just not smooth. I don't know if this is just a characteristic of the c60 trans or something else.

The reason I am planning to do all the drains and refills is to ensure that I get the old MT90 and RP out as much as possible. And since the manual trans doesn't have a drain pan, the only way to know if there's wear on the synchro is to look in the fluid.

Will update the progress in a week or so.
Yes, please keep me updated.

We seem to have different issues though. For me, the gears go in very smoothly. It’s when the 2nd is in, and very rarely, it feels like it’s jerking. Like if there’s a fuel or air issue...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,855 Posts
Yes, please keep me updated.

We seem to have different issues though. For me, the gears go in very smoothly. It’s when the 2nd is in, and very rarely, it feels like it’s jerking. Like if there’s a fuel or air issue...
Have you tried cleaning the throttle plate and check for vacuum leaks? Check especially around the intake manifold gasket.

Any codes?

Edit : try doing a battery disconnect for 30 mins. This will l force the ECU to do a relearn. This may reset it or may not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you tried cleaning the throttle plate and check for vacuum leaks? Check especially around the intake manifold gasket.

Any codes?

Edit : try doing a battery disconnect for 30 mins. This will l force the ECU to do a relearn. This may reset it or may not.
I haven’t tried cleaning the throttle. Unplugged and replugged the MAF sensor, quickly checked for vacuum line disconnected, other than that I didn’t do anything yet.

Not sure for codes, I don’t have a scanner. No check engine though.

if the issue happens again, will try the battery disconnected and look for leaks more thoroughly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts