Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Might be SCRAPING soon...
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have an 09 camry [my first car, i want to make it my own]

ive been reading around the forums used the search bar, or i think ive been using it properly, and didnt find some things that i wanted to do, so i was wondering if you guys can help me out. [again i am very noob to this and please be kind with words]

Well after a good couple days of thinking, i really want to do these things
1. Change out headlights to 5000k xenon lights
2. Put a chrome tip to my exhaust pipe
3. change the blue color to red of the panel iinside the car where the a/c controls are
4. remote start???!!!

this is my project so far, any tips on products that are decent and are working for the camry. ive been reading around and see that some hid are not working with the camry and are having issues and yea if you can help that would be great and yes i know paul sells hid but are there ones that work just as well and are cheaper?

thanks guys in advance and im happy to own this lovely camry for my first car.

·
Registered
376 Posts
first thing to do is get some tint.
hids- goto ddmtuning.com thats where I purchased mine I have no complaints at all no flickering or any of the other issues many members have had with their expensive kits remember our bulb size is H11 for lows and fogs.. If dont have fogs get some!! They put a nice touch on the car... Get a lip spoiler makes this car look less boring.. They have tips selling on ebay 25-40 I think somewhere in that range.. As for remote start I have an autopage rs-1000 works like a charm the range is ridiculous serioulsy.... As for the hvac controls there are some diys so do a search... Goodluck and let the modding begin... Also according to ur taste U might wanna throw some 18's or 19's on ;-)

·
boo.hoo.hoo.
1,498 Posts

ive been reading around the forums used the search bar, or i think ive been using it properly, and didnt find some things that i wanted to do, so i was wondering if you guys can help me out. [again i am very noob to this and please be kind with words]

3. change the blue color to red of the panel iinside the car where the a/c controls are
4. remote start???!!!

this is my project so far, any tips on products that are decent and are working for the camry. ive been reading around and see that some hid are not working with the camry and are having issues and yea if you can help that would be great and yes i know paul sells hid but are there ones that work just as well and are cheaper?

1- go retrofit, or at least cover squirrel spotters
2- many selections out there-- search
3- there is DIY thread for this
4- You're better off asking around for alarm suggestions if you're going to get auto start, do them at the same time.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
If you wanna drop it i have some H&Rs still waiting to be installed so if you want them tell me now because they might go on in about 2 weeks. Oh and they are for a I4. I might go coil overs or Teins.

·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
awsome

wow thanks you guys for the response im looking into it more, if more advice just feed, ill be keeping you guys updated to see how it goes

If you wanna drop it i have some H&Rs still waiting to be installed so if you want them tell me now because they might go on in about 2 weeks. Oh and they are for a I4. I might go coil overs or Teins.
thanks, but no thanks, im not planning to drop it just yet

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
wow thanks you guys for the response im looking into it more, if more advice just feed, ill be keeping you guys updated to see how it goes

thanks, but no thanks, im not planning to drop it just yet
i agree with everyone above. for the exhaust tip, go to your local toyota dealership and just order the one from the XLEs. looks good and is original.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts

4. remote start???!!!

1. No
2. Yes
3. If you want
4. No, the OEM one sucks, aftermarket is risky.

·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. No
2. Yes
3. If you want
no as in dont change to hid at all or just a bad color?

i agree with everyone above. for the exhaust tip, go to your local toyota dealership and just order the one from the XLEs. looks good and is original.
yea the tips from toyota, are they the welding ones or screw?

but anyways now im adding rims, most likely SE rims or something similar lol im on a budget

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
If you get HIDS stay between 4300k - 5000k don't go any higher. A retrofit would be your best option, but covering the squirrel spotters is good enough. (there's a thread in the Do It Yourself section up at the top of the Gen 5 & 6 forum)

Check the For Sale section, i saw some SE rims for sale there, even some nice aftermarket ones.

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,234 Posts

4. remote start???!!!

1. Retrofit. Costs a pretty penny but well worth it
2. ebay or dealer
3. As stated, there is a DIY. I believe it was netforcer who did it? I could of gotten it confused with a different user
4. Alarm/Remote Start. I have Viper 5701. Viper, Python and Clifford is all the same company (DEI). Even no name brands is probably under DEI. Get it professionally installed. Viper has a search where you can find authorized installers and is covered under warranty if anything should go wrong.

Just know that the price you pay is the quality you'll get. Pay cheap, get cheap products. Pay a little extra and get quality products. Shop around for prices and see what gives you a good price/deal.

Its risky if you do it yourself and you have no idea what is going on or if the installer themselves are not experienced. Go to a professional or authorized shop. A proper way is soldering all wires and blending it with factory wires.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
no as in dont change to hid at all or just a bad color?

yea the tips from toyota, are they the welding ones or screw?

but anyways now im adding rims, most likely SE rims or something similar lol im on a budget
No to HIDs because I hate HIDs, and they look like you are a wanna-be lux ... doesn't look right on a Camry (same reason I don't like Halo/Angel eyes - these are BMW trademark lighting style or eyelids - Audi).

The best thing you can do for appearance IMO:

- Change your grille to anything but the LE grille.
- Drop you car for the looks
- Get new wheels
- Get LED tailights, ask your dealer for a set of 2010 tail lights if you want a 2010 look.

I would say you SOL on performance, unless you get a Turbo setup.

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
No to HIDs because I hate HIDs, and they look like you are a wanna-be lux ... doesn't look right on a Camry (same reason I don't like Halo/Angel eyes - these are BMW trademark lighting style or eyelids - Audi).

The best thing you can do for appearance IMO:

- Change your grille to anything but the LE grille.
- Drop you car for the looks
- Get new wheels
- Get LED tailights, ask your dealer for a set of 2010 tail lights if you want a 2010 look.

I would say you SOL on performance, unless you get a Turbo setup.
In bold - Your opinion.

My opinion and a lot of others, they look great, and help visibility tremendously. Added safety (if done correctly)

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
In bold - Your opinion.

My opinion and a lot of others, they look great, and help visibility tremendously. Added safety (if done correctly)
Of course, but HIDs will almost never add safety in my book. They may help keep you from hitting something, but will increase someone else's chances of getting blinded in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Give me an intelligent HID/High beam system that works to keep the light low and even, maybe I'll change my mind. But no such thing exists on a Camry so...:disappoin

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,234 Posts
Of course, but HIDs will almost never add safety in my book. They may help keep you from hitting something, but will increase someone else's chances of getting blinded in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Give me an intelligent HID/High beam system that works to keep the light low and even, maybe I'll change my mind. But no such thing exists on a Camry so...:disappoin
As Punks said..."if done correctly". If the person covers squirrel spotter, there would be no blinding to the other drivers. I've seen cars that have HIDs and blind the shit out of me when I look in my mirrors. I have to duck or lean over to a side that I dont get blinded. Its even worse when they are installed in SUVs cuz they're even higher.

These people just install it and think that is all. I sometimes wish I can go behind them and blind the shit out of them.

·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks pedron for the link i saw that earlier

thanks everyone for your opinions on hid's and retrofits, but i havent really did my research on retro fits yet and dont know the difference [as you can see im still a virgin towards mods]

how much do you think it would cost for my dealership to throw on the taillights?

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
As Punks said..."if done correctly". If the person covers squirrel spotter, there would be no blinding to the other drivers. I've seen cars that have HIDs and blind the shit out of me when I look in my mirrors. I have to duck or lean over to a side that I dont get blinded. Its even worse when they are installed in SUVs cuz they're even higher.

These people just install it and think that is all. I sometimes wish I can go behind them and blind the shit out of them.
Or a true HID retrofit.

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,234 Posts
thanks pedron for the link i saw that earlier

thanks everyone for your opinions on hid's and retrofits, but i havent really did my research on retro fits yet and dont know the difference [as you can see im still a virgin towards mods]
HID plug and plays into stock headlights. Retrofits take the lens off a real HID headlight and incorporate them into the Camry's headlight.

Like for my retrofit, I have Acura TSX headlights in my Camry headlight housing. If you're serious about retrofits, contact JSM1284. You'll have to pay up front, he'll send you headlights, you install and send back your original headlights. Once he receives, he'll refund you the cost of headlights. There is a thread on him providing this service. Do a search on the forum

You'll have to buy HID bulbs, ballast and harness. Depending where you get it, it can cost you $800-$1000. Again, it all depends on where you get it and if its new or used. www.hidplanet is a good place for info on retrofits and getting parts. i got my bulbs and ballast from members who were selling.
how much do you think it would cost for my dealership to throw on the taillights?
Buying anything from the dealership will cost you. Especially when they are OEM products. Taillights can cost you between $250-400. Its just an estimate as I dont know the exact cost but do expect to pay a couple hundred.
Or a true HID retrofit.
Or that too

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I have never gotten flashed for my HIDs and i have 8000k (i like them for the look..so no remarks please) and i like the squirrel spotters because they help me see the signs on the high way. None of my friends have said anything about blinding. What's worse with HIDs is on when cars that don't have projector headlights have them because they spread in every direction. The projectors keep the light at a even height.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts