Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

I'm a soon to be owner of an 09 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD with off-road package. Looking at the vehicle's interior, I wasn't able to find a 4wd "switch" to go from 2wd to 4wd? Stop laughing at me! :lol: Every truck I've previously owned, either had a push-button 4wd or a manual lever to pull to engage 4wd high, low etc. Where the heck is this control in the cab of my 09 truck? Anyone with a picture along with an explanation would be GREATLY appreciated. In my own defense, I didn't spend much time "searching" for the control. THANKS AGAIN Guys. :confused:

·
TN
26 Posts
Actually it's not a switch. To put it in 4wd, you have to crawl underneath the truck, and using a special wrench, take the side plate off the transfer case. Then you have to line up the holes in the two gears, and inset a pin that's stored under the rear passenger-side seat. Once you align the pin, you put in the cotter key. You have to be careful, since the dealer often forgets to give you the cotter key. It's a special one, made just for the Tacoma. You can't use any other one. It takes a while to get it in 4wd the first couple of times, but you can do it faster after you get the hang of it.... at least that's what I heard!:naughty:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Actually it's not a switch. To put it in 4wd, you have to crawl underneath the truck, and using a special wrench, take the side plate off the transfer case. Then you have to line up the holes in the two gears, and inset a pin that's stored under the rear passenger-side seat. Once you align the pin, you put in the cotter key. You have to be careful, since the dealer often forgets to give you the cotter key. It's a special one, made just for the Tacoma. You can't use any other one. It takes a while to get it in 4wd the first couple of times, but you can do it faster after you get the hang of it.... at least that's what I heard!:naughty:
Yah that about sums it up.... I recommend keeping a towl in the back seat so you don't get your shirt dirty.

in all seriousness there is a dial/knob to the left of the radio.

·
Registered
50 Posts
it seems he failed to mention that you have to engage the emergency brake before installing the 4wd pin......

·
Registered
2009 Dbl cab tacoma
26 Posts
Hey All

I'm a soon to be owner of an 09 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD with off-road package. Looking at the vehicle's interior, I wasn't able to find a 4wd "switch" to go from 2wd to 4wd? Stop laughing at me! :lol: Every truck I've previously owned, either had a push-button 4wd or a manual lever to pull to engage 4wd high, low etc. Where the heck is this control in the cab of my 09 truck? Anyone with a picture along with an explanation would be GREATLY appreciated. In my own defense, I didn't spend much time "searching" for the control. THANKS AGAIN Guys. :confused:

I think this is the worst question a 4x4 truck owner could ever ask....:headbang: There is a thing called operators manual in every truck and maybe go ask the guy your buying it from..... :disappoin!

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,161 Posts
It's probably a prerunner and doesn't really have 4wd. That's why he can't find the switch!

But wait, are you buying it from a honda dealership previously mentioned in another thread? Maybe they just stuck a switch on the dash in that prerunner hoping you'll think it's got 4wd.:naughty:

·
Registered
112 Posts
While your down there you might want to top off the headlight fluid. :lol:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm a soon to be owner of an 09 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD with off-road package.
Take it easy, you all. He said he was a SOON to be owner.

It is on the dash to the left of the radio. But really, you do need to make sure you read the manual when you get the truck. Might save you asking a question here and getting a less than serious answer. :lol:

·
Hooray Beer
'08 DB LB 4x4
193 Posts
Looking at the vehicle's interior, I wasn't able to find a 4wd "switch" to go from 2wd to 4wd?
I think we've been pretty easy on the guy, all things considered. This is a funny thread at the least. I mean if you're in the drivers seat that thing is staring at you right in the face even if you aren't looking for it.

·
Lets Do It!
66 Posts
It's probably a prerunner and doesn't really have 4wd. That's why he can't find the switch!

But wait, are you buying it from a honda dealership previously mentioned in another thread? Maybe they just stuck a switch on the dash in that prerunner hoping you'll think it's got 4wd.:naughty:
Maybe it was dark...cause I can't see my switch either.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
The switch only engages the transfer case clutch, you still need to do all the steps in post #2. Be careful that the pin is completely engaged before you switch the clutch over or you'll sheer the pin and break a u-joint on the front driveshaft.

·
Registered
202 Posts
+1

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, ok, ok !

Ok guys, I must admit this was not one of the best questions to ask a bunch of 4wd motor heads. I was hesitant to write this reply but thought I must explain myself. And this is by no means a ploy to make anyone feel bad for what they've said.

I have owned several trucks in my life, none of which were Toyotas. I was injured in 1997 and as a result, was left paralyzed from the waist down. Afer 3 months of intensive care, rehab etc, I certainly wasn't strong enough to transfer up into a truck, do to its seat height. I was forced to sell my truck and suffered through driving a car for many, many years. It sucked as I owned only trucks prior to being hurt.

So, being in the market for a new vehicle, and having several years under my belt as a paraplegic, I thought my strength would now be good enough to get into a truck AGAIN. Low and behold, I loved the TRD w/ Off-Road package from the outside, however, took several attempts to find a way to the driver's seat from my wheelchair. My sheer determination and cooperation from the TOYOTA DEALER (not Honda dealer as someone stated), allowed me to finally get a routine to safely enter and exit the vehicle from my chair. In my mind, I won the battle and could now drive a truck again. The 4wd switch was the last thing on my mind and I obviously overlooked the UNIQUE dila-like switch, that's certainly unconventional in style. As I need hand controls to drive, I was not even presented with a chance to test drive the vehicle that I now own. Welcome to my world!

The fact that my injury surely had an impact on my life, did not affect my brain. With this being said, I will certainly think twice before posting such a thread in this domain of vultures. If you could understand my frame of mind, this small oversight on my behalf may not sound so elementary. I can take a beating and truly LMAO after reading most of the posts. :chug:

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,161 Posts
Oh come on, we really do like these types of questions. There are some threads in here where the creativity can have you laughing your a$$ off! We did figure you just didn't notice where the switch was when you sat it in, and there are people in here who will answer the question no matter what..and it was a valid question based on the info you gave. Even if not everyone pays enough attention to read the first post thoroughly enough to know that your question was based on a "soon to be purchased" vehicle. You're a good sport. Be sure to add your own humor when the opportunity arises...:thumbsup:

And, welcome to TN!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh come on, we really do like these types of questions. There are some threads in here where the creativity can have you laughing your a$$ off! We did figure you just didn't notice where the switch was when you sat it in, and there are people in here who will answer the question no matter what..and it was a valid question based on the info you gave. Even if not everyone pays enough attention to read the first post thoroughly enough to know that your question was based on a "soon to be purchased" vehicle. You're a good sport. Be sure to add your own humor when the opportunity arises...:thumbsup:

And, welcome to TN!
+1

·
TN
26 Posts
I hope you were able to get the information you were looking for between all the jabs. All in all, I think you will find that there are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people on this board, even though we sometimes can't help having some fun. Hopefully you took it all in the spirit in which it was intended. Good luck with your taco if you decide to get it. I think you will find it to be a great truck, and the board may even eventually grow on you! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts