Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Shake & Bake
'09 Tacoma AC 4x4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
New Tacoma owner two Friday's ago and noticed a very strange situation the other day. I was parked on a slight incline (I would guess less than 5%) with the truck (a 5 speed manual) in 1st gear with the e-brake off as usual. I went in to my kickboxing gym and about 15 minutes later someone came in and asked who owned the white truck? It was rolling backward down the hill. So obviously I freaked.
Turns out that the truck was rolling inch by inch down the incline. It would roll about 2 inches, then stop, wait for about 10 seconds, then roll another 2 inches. In the 15 minutes it had only rolled a few feet. When I saw it I jumped in and applied the brakes, put the clutch in and tried to start the truck with the trans still in 1st gear. It wouldn't start. Popped the stick into neutral and it started right up.
Here's the weird part! I talked to the service guy at the Dealer where I bought it and he said that it was NORMAL! He said that the new 4cyls don't have enough engine to hold the weight of the truck back. He said the V6 and V8 trucks can hold it but that I'd better use the e-brake. Anyone care to call shenanigans on this, and/or tell me if this is a known issue and how to fix it? Thanks

Darryl

·
p00pernickel
Toyota Tacoma
500 Posts
Hey Everyone,
New Tacoma owner two Friday's ago and noticed a very strange situation the other day. I was parked on a slight incline (I would guess less than 5%) with the truck (a 5 speed manual) in 1st gear with the e-brake off as usual. I went in to my kickboxing gym and about 15 minutes later someone came in and asked who owned the white truck? It was rolling backward down the hill. So obviously I freaked.
Turns out that the truck was rolling inch by inch down the incline. It would roll about 2 inches, then stop, wait for about 10 seconds, then roll another 2 inches. In the 15 minutes it had only rolled a few feet. When I saw it I jumped in and applied the brakes, put the clutch in and tried to start the truck with the trans still in 1st gear. It wouldn't start. Popped the stick into neutral and it started right up.
Here's the weird part! I talked to the service guy at the Dealer where I bought it and he said that it was NORMAL! He said that the new 4cyls don't have enough engine to hold the weight of the truck back. He said the V6 and V8 trucks can hold it but that I'd better use the e-brake. Anyone care to call shenanigans on this, and/or tell me if this is a known issue and how to fix it? Thanks

Darryl
Sounds legit to me, think of how a MT is jump started. Try putting it in 3rd or 4th next time, so its harder for the weight to turn over the engine.

·
ASE Master Tech
08 Taco 4x4
193 Posts
No shenanigans and sticking it in a higher gear is worse. 1st gear is the best gear to hold it on an incline. (Most mechanical advantage for the motor) Use the parking brake, it's there for a reason!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
No shenanigans and sticking it in a higher gear is worse. 1st gear is the best gear to hold it on an incline. (Most mechanical advantage for the motor) Use the parking brake, it's there for a reason!
I agree.

My wife thinks I do it to piss her off. I set the e-brake any time I leave any vehicle I am driving when I park. Hers, mine, doesn't matter. I even use it in the garage. It is just force of habit. Not taking 2 seconds to set the brake is....... well..... pure laziness IMO.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
E-brake is good!

Normal. Happened to me before (in a diff vehicle)

Put it in 4LO and it wont roll! Guaranteed!

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts

·
p00pernickel
Toyota Tacoma
500 Posts
Damn... never mind then :eek:

·
Shake & Bake
'09 Tacoma AC 4x4
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pb

I'm definitely not arguing the merits of the e-brake, just trying to get to the bottom of this issue. I have been driving manual transmission vehicles my whole life (okay, only 10 years of driving, I'm 26) but I have never seen this in my life. I do understand how a MT is bump started but I have always had to allow the vehicle to roll and get momentum before letting out the clutch, and even then the car or bike would want to stop prior to starting. Mostly I just wanted to know if anyone had seen this before (which it seems like people have) and if its a problem (which it does not appear to be).

DS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts