Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make my first post something worthwhile. Hopefully you will all like it.

I've a '09 Tacoma DC in Super White and I really hate the huge mast antenna. To fix the problem I picked up a genuine S2000 antenna from eBay, about $20. The threaded post was too short on the S2000 antenna. I cut off the existing S2000 post, drilled, then tapped for m5x0.8mm, screwed in a longer piece of m5x0.8 with loctite, and installed. Thus far I have not noticed any degradation in FM reception.

Here are the results, enjoy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a little late now but ever think about a "stubby" antenna? I have one on my vw and I know that some of those guys buy s2k antennas so odds are it will fit. And look clean as it can get.:thumbsup:

http://www.fixxtuning.com/store/cat...d=566&osCsid=e7e9998897085f0b54085012a929716d
That is bad ass. I wish they made these things for the Toyotas with the longer post. You might catch hell trying to drill and tap that one. Fortunately, the S2000 antenna had a lot of material to work with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
From www.fixxtuning.com website:
"6.5 cm (2 5/8") long with 5mm screw. Shorty rubber antenna with built in amplification to prevent reception lost. Universal fit for all cars that use the 5mm screw down base. Compatible With: BMW Z3, Z4, E46 3-series convertible, Honda Si, Sir Hatchback, S2000, Lexus IS200, IS300, New MINI Cooper, Mazda Protege 5, Mazda3, Mazda6, Mitsubishi Lancer, Lancer Evolution, Nissan 350Z, Ponticac Vibe- Saturn 2003+ USA L-series only (L200 and L300), Scion xA, tc, Suzuki Aerio, Toyota New Corolla, Matrix, Echo Hatchback, 2004+ Prius, VW Beetle, Golf, GTI, Rabbit, Jetta, Passat"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like it and will be leveraging...I mean stealing...the idea. No more banging the antenna on low hanging branches.

I know FM is pretty much where the modern world lives lately, but how is your AM reception w/ the shorter antenna?

·
p00pernickel
Toyota Tacoma
500 Posts
Nice. Too bad I use my antenna as a height check for those low things we have to squeeze under. The paint is worn off of mine from parking decks... kinda funny watching it hitting each support beam and the looks from the people around

·
Registered
'07 Prerunner.
304 Posts
Looks clean! I may have to do this mod myself...

·
Registered
'07 DoubleCab 4x4
726 Posts
Nice. Too bad I use my antenna as a height check for those low things we have to squeeze under. The paint is worn off of mine from parking decks... kinda funny watching it hitting each support beam and the looks from the people around
If you're using it as a height check, wouldn't you want to stop after it hits the first one? Otherwise, how can you tell how high the roof is?

·
p00pernickel
Toyota Tacoma
500 Posts
If you're using it as a height check, wouldn't you want to stop after it hits the first one? Otherwise, how can you tell how high the roof is?
I can tell by how far down it is on the antenna. Im pushing it if its past an inch or so :lol:

·
let's kick this pig.
2006 Taco
381 Posts
I just dremelled about 6" off the stock antenna, put the little ball back on and hit it with some black paint. Now it sits about 2" above the cab so if it hits anything I know my roof is about to come off. It used to hit every damn support at the parking garage now it doesn't hit any of them.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Humm... I don't even use the radio in my S2000 :D

·
Registered
'09 taco DC LB SPORT
29 Posts
ELECTRONMAN, I am trying to do this mod on my truck. after removing the stock antenna, did you have to remove the chrome peice under the antenna mast? anything else that has to be done? also how long did the piece of stud or screw that you tapped the the s2k antenna?

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
yea, i was going to do this mod when i saw it on XR forums las year, but then i remembered i use my antenna for the same thing, so no shorty for me:D

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
ELECTRONMAN, I am trying to do this mod on my truck. after removing the stock antenna, did you have to remove the chrome peice under the antenna mast? anything else that has to be done? also how long did the piece of stud or screw that you tapped the the s2k antenna?
He's got a more detailed writeup over at tacomaworld.com.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts