Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought an 09 tacoma. Its the 2.7L 4cyl SR5 4X4. I am looking to put in a 3 inch suspension lift. I have been looking around and there are a lot of different options to choose from. I am looking to spend the least amount of money but I want something that is not going to screw up my ball joints suspension etc. later on. There are kits out there that use the original springs and shocks using spacers in the front and blocks in the back. these kits are around $300, rough country, toytec, etc...are these reliable?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any lift is going to cause parts of your truck to wear faster than factory.

If you're not willing to make that tradeoff, don't lift.

That being said, Revtek spacer lift, with a combination of preload and top plate spacers, block in the back, and diff drop is pretty well regarded among the spacer lift crowd. Both 4 Wheel Part$ and Less Schwab install Revtek lifts, and the Toyota Trails team PR effort used Revtek spacer lifts on the FJs that they lifted and took on tour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Yeah i know other parts are going to wear down I just wasnt sure if certian lifts will help this last longer. I have been reading that when you lift using the stock suspension and spacers you only get 1" of travel in the stock shocks. Do you think that i should get a lift with front shocks and springs? Also is it benificial to get new UCAs as well?

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
Me? I wouldn't touch any spacers. They only degrade ride quality.

The cheapest option that I would put on my truck is a set of Bilstien 5100's on all four corners. The fronts are adjustable to .85, 1.75, and 2.5" of lift. The rears are a larger diameter shock with more oil/nitrogen over stock.
You can add a 1.5" Add A Leaf from Toytec for not much more cash if you choose to lift the front that full 2.5 inches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are the rear shocks adjustable or the non adjustable type? Also for the front, do I need to get new UCAs or coils?

·
Premium Member
11 Tacoma DC TRD OR
1,892 Posts
are the rear shocks adjustable or the non adjustable type? Also for the front, do I need to get new UCAs or coils?
The rear 5100's aren't adjustable, and no new UCA's are needed. The fronts can be used with the stock coils, I did that for a while myself and the ride was just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thanks for the advise. I'm only asking because there are so many different ways you can lift a truck and i want something that will maintain a some what smooth ride and that is inexpensive. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts