Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been pumping castrol syntec 0w-30 in my truck and i was wondering if that oil was the right grade ? as i noticed alotta people use 5w-30

thanks in advance

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
You should be fine. Lots of people use 0w instead of 5w, especially when the weather is cold. I think I heard that the 07 Tacos come with 0w-30, because Toyota was trying to get a little better MPG out of the engines. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should i switch to 5w-30?

is one better than the other?

cuz ive been spending allotta cash on this syntec crap.

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
You're fine. The German Castrol 0W-30 is about as good as it gets in terms of protection. Toyota has gone to 5W-20 for the 07's only because it's thinner when hot resulting in a little better mileage but at the expense of protection. The first number indicates the oils cold temp viscosity the second number is the oils warm temp viscosity. In theory the wider the spread the better but unfortunately with conventional oils maintaining those levels of viscosity becomes very hard when the margin between hot and cold is spread. Fortunatly though we have synthetics which are light years better then conventional oils and are more stable and can maintain those greater viscosity ranges, some are better then others though so stick with a good one like the German Castrol. As long as the 0W-30 you are using is the Castrol Syn 0W-30 there is no reason to go to a 5W-30.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
Actually, a wider spread is better on paper, but not necessarily in practice.
There were major problems with 10W40 in the 1980s-90s.
Obviously, it's easier to get the performance of 10W30 with a given base oil than it is to get 10W40 with the same base. It requires more additives, and pushes the envelope.

I still believe that the best plan is to follow manufacturer's guidelines for a given temp range.
However, in really cold climates, it may make sense to drop down a bit, but keeping in mind that when your engine is at operating temp, the ambient temp is not what determines what the engine needs. Likewise for extremely hot climates. But going too hvy will reduce cold start protection, too light will reduce your operating temp protection.

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
tcbrokenwings said:
awesome... i guess all the expensive oil changes are worth it.

thanks!!
You can save a lot of money by doing your own oil changes. A 5 quart jug of Mobil1 synthetic is $20 at wally world and you can get genuine toyota oil filters online for cheap.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
Pb said:
I think I heard that the 07 Tacos come with 0w-30, because Toyota was trying to get a little better MPG out of the engines. I'm not sure if this is true or not.
It's actually 5w-20 that you're thinking of.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mmm

SilverStreak05 said:
You can save a lot of money by doing your own oil changes. A 5 quart jug of Mobil1 synthetic is $20 at wally world and you can get genuine toyota oil filters online for cheap.
yeah but im using castrol syntec with k&n oil filter

i spoil my truck.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have a 2007 V6 DC PR. The manual that came with it says to use 5w-30. The 4 cyl is listed as using 0w-20 or 5w-20. I using exactly what the manual says. Toyota engineers picked these oils to match the engine's tolerances.

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Toyota Australia recommends 10W-40 for the same 1GR-FE engine. Toyota chooses oils based on typical environments and typical use. Choosing 5W-30 is by no means an absolute, nor is it by any means what's best for the engine. Most people don't have the proper knowledge to know what oil best suits their needs so Toyota simply recommends an oil for the averages.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
boone said:
It's actually 5w-20 that you're thinking of.
Ah, OK. I knew that something changed about the oil recommendations for the 07s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts