Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just trying to understand something. My last 3 cars have been nissans(Versa,Frontier crew cab and a Altima)and Ive just bought a brand new 09 Corolla. So lets take the Versa..... It has a 1.8L engine. The over drive will not kick in until it reaches operating temp. You also have a over drive button and even if you engage the button(OD) it still will not kick in until the engine hits operating temp.

So Ive noticed on the 09 Corolla it has no over drive button and does not have to wait for the engine to reach operating temp for the OD to kick in. It also has a 1.8L engine.

So why does Nissan do it that way and Toyota the other way....I live in a hilly area and I am worried about possiable engine Lugging on my Corolla. Because when I drove the Versa and I hit a steep hill I would hit the OD off so that the engine could pull better.

So is this a problem or not in the Toyota's-Since both the Versa and the Corolla both have 1.8L engines, you would think that the toyota would need a manual over drive to help the car going up hill as well. If not WHY?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
understand

Thanks Eric for answering. The Versa had a standard auto trans-4 or 5 speed. You had the option to down shift ot 1st or 2nd but really didn't need too since you would just click off the OD.

I was just wondering why Toyota with the same engine size doesn't require this. Don't want to lug it.:sosad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Undersatnd

Doesn't the Versa has CVT?

Anyway, you can still manually shift the gear to 2nd or 1st if you're going up a steep hill.[/quote

Eric, thanks for answering. Yep I understand about down sifting to 1st or 2nd but in the Versa you really didn't need to most of the time after disengaging the OD button. Was just wondering why they both have the same engine size but one has it and the other does not.

The Verda had a regular auto trans in it. Four speed I think.

·
Registered
'09 RAV4 Ltd
546 Posts
You CAN NOT lug the engine down with the automatic tranny.......it's all electronically computer controlled thus it will automatically select the correct gear for the driving conditions/engine load.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
to the original poster... the difference between the 09 corolla and nissan versa is that the former has a more advanced and newer technology electronics for the engine/transmission. hehehe

·
TN Member
Prius
5,460 Posts
Just trying to understand something. My last 3 cars have been nissans(Versa,Frontier crew cab and a Altima)and Ive just bought a brand new 09 Corolla. So lets take the Versa..... It has a 1.8L engine. The over drive will not kick in until it reaches operating temp. You also have a over drive button and even if you engage the button(OD) it still will not kick in until the engine hits operating temp.

So Ive noticed on the 09 Corolla it has no over drive button and does not have to wait for the engine to reach operating temp for the OD to kick in. It also has a 1.8L engine.

So why does Nissan do it that way and Toyota the other way....I live in a hilly area and I am worried about possiable engine Lugging on my Corolla. Because when I drove the Versa and I hit a steep hill I would hit the OD off so that the engine could pull better.

So is this a problem or not in the Toyota's-Since both the Versa and the Corolla both have 1.8L engines, you would think that the toyota would need a manual over drive to help the car going up hill as well. If not WHY?
The reason why it doesn't have a button is because the Corolla is using a gated shifter pattern. If you look at the older Corollas or Camrys with the straight pattern, there will be a button. With the gated pattern, you just nudge the shifter to the left to "3" and that's "O/D OFF" so to speak. Nudge it back to "D" to engage overdrive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.