Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to find some 1" lift shackles to fix the sag on my 91 pickup. Only need the 1" I am hoping to be able to use the current shocks untill I get more money.

Any recomendations for shackles? I have only been able to find 2" lift shackles for my truck so far.

thanks guys!

·
www.bodybuilding.com
254 Posts
I have seen some 1.5 shackles on ebay but I havent come across any 1"

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Do you think the ebay ones are reliable (strength and quality)?
That's something you don't want to risk being of lesser quality. I'm buying new leaf and shackle sets when it warms up, and I noticed the shackle sets are like $80. So if the ebay ones are of comparable quality and are a decent savings, then I'm thinking of checking ebay.

·
www.bodybuilding.com
254 Posts
I am buying a set tomorrow so I will let you know man

·
Desert Racer
Pickup
31 Posts

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot!

Im either going to go with 1.25" or 1.5" lift - Hard to find lots of places who ship to canada for cheap :ugh3:

·
Banned
747 Posts
I have a new set of downey ones in the box....installed for 1 day to check height.
You'll need longer shocks.

I didn't like them, it raised the rear too high for my tastes....they are super high quality units though.

·
Banned
747 Posts
dunno how this will paste....this is from the Downey site, part number and stuff..

89-95 2WD PU 2
longer 42089-2R $56.23​
30$ + shipping seems pretty fair.....if you need detailed pics I have a cam.
They are very burly, very possible it's 7-10 lbs or so, bolts are included.

Lemme know...

(*edit* seems the code tag doesn't work on this site, hope the quote tags do)

·
Banned
747 Posts
'89-95 4WD PU, 2
longer 42089-R $56.23
Same part number.
No problem with fit....mine's a 1-ton, same springs as the ½ ton and the 4wd, it just has 2 extra leafs.

There's a ups store a couple blocks up from me....I can check on exact shipping first if you'd like....my guess is between 10-15$ ?

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
So what about getting shackles that don't add any lift?
I'm getting new leafs soon and need the shackle kit, I haven't seen one that didn't have some sort of lift. Any suggestions on where to buy stock length shackles?

·
Desert Racer
Pickup
31 Posts
Why do you need a shackle kit? What shackles do you have now? If you want stock length shackles, go to the dealer or a junk yard and buy the stock ones.

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
I want to replace the old ones when I get new leafs because they're rusted. Junk yards in the northeast are not gonna have shackles that aren't rusted and I figured the dealer would rape me on the price.

·
Desert Racer
Pickup
31 Posts
Can you sandblast them and repaint them or have they corroded too much? Call up the dealer, sometimes their prices are reasonable, depending on the part. www.toyotapartscheap.com lists them at $63 each.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214001&chapter=AEM8315&appSectionid=2788&groupid=2523&subgroupid=6665&make=34&model=Pickup&year=1989&catalogid=2

If you're good at metal fabrication, you can make your own. Or if you're willing to settle for a 3/4" lift, call All Pro (see above).

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Thanks Dave. I figure since I'm getting new leafs, then I'll just get the new hardware too. I'll check the dealer to see what they charge. I'd go for a 1" lift, but would I then have to get new shocks too? What else would I have to do to add a 1" lift? I didn't really want to spend more than about $500.

·
Desert Racer
Pickup
31 Posts
If you install 1.5" longer rear shackles, resulting in a 0.75" lift, you do not need new shocks, assuming the shocks you have now are the proper length for stock rear suspension. Once you get up in the 2-3" lift range, then longer shocks are required.

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
maybe i'll go for the 1" then, thanks Dave.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts