Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am truly desperate at this point.

Have a '10 base Camry, 4cyl, 202k.
Last winter started having issues with car not starting easily. Cranks and cranks and eventually turns over after some sputtering and giving it gas. After a min. or so it stays ok. Noticed stock radio sometimes will go off if I hit the 5 or 6 memory button (radio and or lights on radio will go off). Also temp gauge will be at 1/2 way when doing this fresh cold start.

8 months ago I had to disconnect the battery. Once I reconnected the car was perfect again.

2 months ago I had to disconnect battery and the problems came back, but a little worse. For the first time the other day I actually drained the battery trying to start it. Although the radio no longer acts weird, now the temp guage will jump from C to H randomly. If temp gauge is on H, AC will not work.

I am without without words on what could possibly be wrong. My lifelong friend/mechanic asked me to please not bring it to him. Only other option is Toyota and we know what that will be like financially, which is just not in my means.
Any suggestions would be welcome.. it just seems truly hopeless at this point. Anyone have good ideas, I'm all ears!!
Thank you!!
- desperate RJ

·
just a nobody
Echo
7,064 Posts
Sounds like all your issues are related to the electrical system, so why not start by checking the connections to your battery and electrical circuits.
Check the terminals to your battery to make sure that they are clean, no corrosion and tightly connected to the battery. Have the battery tested to make sure it is in good working order.
Do the above and see what happens!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like all your issues are related to .... So the time 8months ago when I disconnected battery it was because I thought the neg. connection needed to be redone. After that everything was fine. 2 months ago I disconnected the battery as the battery was not secure, so I secured it and then the problems started again when I reconnected. I redid both the pos and neg wiring beautifully with brand new terminals. I was really hoping that was the issue and that fresh, non-corroded wiring would make it work. Sadly, it didn't. My mechanic let me put in one of his known good, brand new battery for testing. No go. Thank you so much for responding to me!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the time 8months ago when I disconnected battery it was because I thought the neg. connection needed to be redone. After that everything was fine. 2 months ago I disconnected the battery as the battery was not secure, so I secured it and then the problems started again when I reconnected. I redid both the pos and neg wiring beautifully with brand new terminals. I was really hoping that was the issue and that fresh, non-corroded wiring would make it work. Sadly, it didn't. My mechanic let me put in one of his known good, brand new battery for testing. No go.

·
just a nobody
Echo
7,064 Posts
So, you did the above recently?
Check the other ends of the cables to make sure those are also clean and tight.
Look for any signs of loose connections, corrosions around the engine compartment.
Also check the connections to the fuse block to make sure they are clean and secure.
Electrical problems can be time consuming to find.
Do you live in an area where salt/chemical are used during the winter months? What kind of shape the car is in, good or well used?

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
3,975 Posts
Also temp gauge will be at 1/2 way when doing this fresh cold start.
This can cause starting problems ECM may be seeing a engine at operating temp when in fact engine is cold so fuel delivery would be off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new echo owner, post: 14698360, member: 154651"]
So, you did the above recently?
Check the other ends of the cables to make sure those are also clean and tight.
Look for any signs of loose connections, corrosions around the engine compartment.
Also check the connections to the fuse block to make sure they are clean and secure.
Electrical problems can be time consuming to find.
Do you live in an area where salt/chemical are used during the winter months? What kind of shape the car is in, good or well used?
[/QUOTE]

·
Official PITA
'05 Solara Convertible & '07 ES350
1,431 Posts
I agree .. Sounds like it could be an electrical ground issue. First thing is to disconnect the battery and clean up battery to ground connections, ditto for positive connections.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was about to get deep into doing all the things that have been suggested, the weather had different plans for me until tomorrow.

I live in upstate NY so salt and brine are both used in my area. Car is in good condition, no accidents ever or rusting (yet).

Not being a mechanic but someone who does as much as they possibly can on their own with research and chatting, etc.. , grounding issue kept popping up in my mind. I'll trace back pos/neg connections from battery backwards.

Thank you all so much for the advice, and by all means, keep em coming. I'll def. update tomorrow after taking advice from everyone.

·
just a nobody
Echo
7,064 Posts
Just reread your original post again, it still points toward electrical issues; however, some things had change time, some circuits are no longer having issues and some still do but somewhat different.
So, we need to take those into consideration when determining which direction to go.
Sit down and list out what is not working before and now, maybe from the list you can narrow down some areas that are common amount them, and then start looking into those areas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just reread your original post again, it still points toward electrical issues; however, some things had change time, some circuits are no longer having issues and some still do but somewhat different.
So, we need to take those into consideration when determining which direction to go.
Sit down and list out what is not working before and now, maybe from the list you can narrow down some areas that are common amount them, and then start looking into those areas.
Check out South Main Auto on YouTube. Call them and get a diagnostic appointment. Eric is really good at diagnosing seemingly odd problems. He's in Avoca, NY.

·
just a nobody
Echo
7,064 Posts
Quoted 3 times in a row! Did I said something wrong? 😓😓😓😓
Call someone posted on YouTube, and rob us the chance of giving out bad advises? 😠😠
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Whichever way the OP choses to go with, he still needs to get the information together, whether providing them to us or for the South Main Auto.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
T="Vibe Guy, post: 14699783, member: 1300612"]
Check out South Main Auto on YouTube. Call them and get a diagnostic appointment. Eric is really good at diagnosing seemingly odd problems. He's in Avoca, NY.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks.. only problem is that is about 4 1/2 hours away. I'm still working thru some of the suggestions. It has rained almost every day since I posted. Supposed to have a dry spell starting after today so looking forward to checking some of these out.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Last winter started having issues with car not starting easily. Cranks and cranks and eventually turns over after some sputtering and giving it gas. After a min. or so it stays ok. Noticed stock radio sometimes will go off if I hit the 5 or 6 memory button (radio and or lights on radio will go off). Also temp gauge will be at 1/2 way when doing this fresh cold start.

8 months ago I had to disconnect the battery. Once I reconnected the car was perfect again.

2 months ago I had to disconnect battery and the problems came back, but a little worse. For the first time the other day I actually drained the battery trying to start it. Although the radio no longer acts weird, now the temp guage will jump from C to H randomly. If temp gauge is on H, AC will not work.

I am without without words on what could possibly be wrong. My lifelong friend/mechanic asked me to please not bring it to him. Only other option is Toyota and we know what that will be like financially, which is just not in my means.
Any suggestions would be welcome.. it just seems truly hopeless at this point. Anyone have good ideas, I'm all ears!!
Thank you!!
- desperate RJ
To me those sound like separate issues. The main question is, how long have you had the battery? Batteries typically only last around 4 years, so if it's close to or older than that, have it tested and replaced. The radio issue is common. I have an 08 Camry and had the same problem with my stereo, so I rplaced it recently. The temp guage could be caused by a sticking thermostat or the sensor could be bad. The good thing is that those two are easy to replace. I would say take it to a mechanic asap before it runs hot and ruins your head gasket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To me those sound like separate issues. The main question is, how long have you had the battery? Batteries typically only last around 4 years, so if it's close to or older than that, have it tested and replaced. The radio issue is common. I have an 08 Camry and had the same problem with my stereo, so I rplaced it recently. The temp guage could be caused by a sticking thermostat or the sensor could be bad. The good thing is that those two are easy to replace. I would say take it to a mechanic asap before it runs hot and ruins your head gasket.
My mechanic slipped in a battery for the hell of it and problem persisted. If the thermostat was stuck (yes an easy repair) would that affect the painful starting though?

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
3,975 Posts
aiirwalkrj- "Also temp gauge will be at 1/2 way when doing this fresh cold start."
Did the mechanic note this fault?
The IAT and the ECT should be close to the same reading at cold start.
If ECT/ECM is reading operating temp at cold start this needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thank you!!
- desperate RJ
My mechanic slipped in a battery for the hell of it and problem persisted. If the thermostat was stuck (yes an easy repair) would that affect the painful starting though?
A thermostat wouldn't cause that, but a battery with a dead cell possibly could. It could be a number of things ranging from the battery to a sensor. It would be good to plug in a scan tool to see if any codes come up. Your mechanic should easily be able to do that. A good one will bring up the codes even if your check engine light isn't on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SUCCESS!!!! I fixed the issue and I'm absolutely without words how happy I am and also for all the great advice! Many connections and what not have been cleaned, reseated, whatever it took to improve.

The culprit was ECT sensor, thank you so much cj1!!!

Super easy to replace and cost around $20, so I couldn't be happier with that also. As I tried to diagnose this with the suggestions, I was also able to see things that needed a little TLC which I would not have done or noticed without input received from my post.

Thanks again all who gave advice, and cj1 who provided the " smoking gun. "

-rj

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OTE="ToyotaFan95341, post: 14702055, member: 1289779"]
Where did you get it for only $20?
[/QUOTE]
Advance Auto. There were more expensive ones but didn't want to chance spending a bunch of $$ on a part they may not return in case it wasn't the issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts