Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Corolla
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I do.... with a 2010 Toyota Corolla under 100,000 KMS Rust has started too form in the areas in red.

Not all rust, but some areas with streaks of rust and some with points of rust. So unhappy already

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,338 Posts
What should I do.... with a 2010 Toyota Corolla under 100,000 KMS Rust has started too form in the areas in red.

Not all rust, but some areas with streaks of rust and some with points of rust. So unhappy already

Make sure that the area stays clear from wet leaves & such. If it clogs the area up the water can't drain properly & that could be causing this problem too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2010, 2020 Corolla
315 Posts
I first try to clean up the area, see if it is the sealer and leaves creating a discolor?

If it was discolored, I then apply some wax, and wipe the weather strip clean.

I use some rubbing compound, before I attempt removal with sand paper.

What if it was not rust, and you used sand paper, that someone here told you to do so, you be more upset.

Your pick points out, but your pick must show a close up. Do show us a better pick before it's to late

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Corolla
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Warranty

I will post pictures later on, but I always keep that area free of wet leaves and such. I wash my car frequently during the winter when the City uses Road Salt like madness... up here in Canada.

I have booked an appointment with my dealer for this Wednesday, and probably with the sales person that I dealt with when I got my car.

Checking my owners manual and agreements, I noticed that I did sign and check off under "Customer Waiver" - Accepted Rust, Rip, Tear, and Burn Protection "Covers Surface Rust, Rips or Burns in the upholstery."

Corrosion Perforation is 60 Months = 5 Years, unlimited KMS
http://www.donvalleynorthtoyota.com/new_vehicles/new-vehicle-warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is something that I'm currently experiencing in my 2010 Corolla. I believe those tiny rust spots are caused by rail/brake dust. Since there's somewhat a gap between the trunk lid and the rear window, brake dust can easily enter and land on the channel. I recently took care of this issue by spraying IRON X on the contaminated areas which took care of the problem. I also clay bar it just to be thorough. I think this part of our Corolla needs to be checked and cleaned constantly or the problem will appear again. Good luck and hope that you're able to take care of the issue.

·
Registered
773 Posts
This is something that I'm currently experiencing in my 2010 Corolla. I believe those tiny rust spots are caused by rail/brake dust. Since there's somewhat a gap between the trunk lid and the rear window, brake dust can easily enter and land on the channel. I recently took care of this issue by spraying IRON X on the contaminated areas which took care of the problem. I also clay bar it just to be thorough. I think this part of our Corolla needs to be checked and cleaned constantly or the problem will appear again. Good luck and hope that you're able to take care of the issue.
Brake dust reaching the trunk? I dont know but i may be wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brake dust reaching the trunk? I dont know but i may be wrong.
I first thought that brake dust can't reach that part of the trunk as well but if you take a look at the pic, it's not farfetched. Some sedans have a rubber seal between the trunk lid and rear window which prevents a lot of outside elements from entering the trunk water channel. Corollas do not have this rubber seal. There's just a small gap between the rear window and trunk lid. Water and debris can enter and settle on the area and could cause some rust spots. Wish I had taken pics of the rust spots before removing them.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.