Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2006 4runner with a little over 50K miles on it. I am the original owner and everything runs like clockwork still. I do oil change every 5K with Synthetic oil and I will do transfer case oil change every 2 years. Did a coolant change a few years ago. But that's about it. Still using original plug. When about brake fluid, I was told it was lifetime and I think so is the transmission? Just wondering if I need to do some preventive maintenance. Do I need to change the timing belt/chain? how about the hoses and belts?

Thanks for any advice.

Vince

· Registered
4Runner & Fusion
984 Posts
I have a 2003 V6 4x4 and recently logged 81,000 miles. I still have the original coolant and brake fluid. I thought the (V6) plugs were supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles, as my dealer has been changing them on that interval.

You don't mention whether you have a V6 or V8, but I believe the V8 needs a timing belt changed every 7 years or 90,000/105,000 miles, whichever comes first. The V6 doesn't need the timing belt changed.

I would recommend the differential oil be changed, but definitely get the transmission fluid changed. Just do a drain and fill, not a flush. I paid the dealer to do the transmission; the rest I did myself.

On the differential(s), ALWAYS remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug. If you cannot remove the fill plug, definitely do not remove the drain plug. You may find the drain/fill plugs rusted on and irremovable without an air wrench. If you can't remove it just leave it alone or pay the dealer to do it. Odds are the fluid isn't badly degraded. New plugs and gaskets are available at the dealer. I reused mine.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is a 6 cylinder SE model, 4X4. For a 10 year old truck, it looks and perform like new. It still have the original battery in it. Same with the spark plug and the transmission fluid. I remember a couple of years ago, when I was at a dealer servicing the diff oil, I asked them to change the transmission fluid. They told me not to worry since I have such low miles, to wait till it is 100,000 miles.

I called the dealer this morning and scheduled the well deserve maintenance for my truck.

Transmission flush $229.95
Coolant flush $129.95
Spark Plug $140.00
Diff/Transfer case service $159.95

Oil was changed not too long ago and I've been filling it with Synthetic so I am all set with that one.

The only thing that is still factory is the Brake fluid which I was told is also long life since it is sealed.

Might do that next.

Vince

· Premium Member
8,705 Posts
Looks like you have a plum ride :) Transmission for sure sounds like you stay on top of things. I would change brake fluid at some point it does get moisture in it over time even being "sealed" I don't think it's needed very often at all though.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I just called the dealer again asking about the brake and power steering. They told me that according to Toyota, unless you are having problem, it is not needed. I think I will do it mid next year, together with cleaning the throttle.

Figure that since I am not buying a new truck, might as well keep this running like new.

Vince

· Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,677 Posts
Brake systems do need periodic flush and fill.
Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Also, brake fluid does not circulate, so all that moisture stays in the calipers, which is why the pistons seize up so often.

Coolant systems also need flush and fill.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brake systems do need periodic flush and fill.
Brake fluid absorbs moisture. Also, brake fluid does not circulate, so all that moisture stays in the calipers, which is why the pistons seize up so often.

Coolant systems also need flush and fill.

Interesting how Toyota dealer and even a local tire deal recommend that I leave the brake fluid alone. I guess they don't mind charging me when the caliper seize up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.