Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
I remember 10k service intervals outside north America 15 to 20 years ago and oil was not synthetic. The main reason for the shorter intervals here now is the mindset of the customer I suspect, they don't believe in maintaining their vehicle strictly to the schedule and often run past the recommended interval , so manufacturers have short service intervals to compensate for customer stupidity, illustrated for their fondness for cheap quick lube service. When I moved to Canada 12 years ago I could not believe new vehicles still had 3K mile oil change intervals and people expected a full service while they sat and had a coffee like a tire change. Why a 5k interval, why not 3k interval or even a 1K interval? Because it is diminishing returns, the quality of the oil will no longer be a factor in how long the vehicle lasts, with even the newest best quality oil an internal combustion engine operates on the basis of friction and will stil be subject to wear. The 1K mile first change was eliminated a long time ago and car engines last longer than ever, go figure.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm coming up on 65k miles on my 2015 XLE and wanted to do the ATF change, but my normal shop couldn't do it citing the need to have dealer computer hooked up. I use a good shop (Goodyear based Tire Central and Service) that does just about everything and they are trustworthy.

I'm sort of dreading going to the dealer and having them tell me the ATF fluid doesn't need to be changed because it's lifetime...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Flex fuel vehicles were supposed to have oil changes at 5k miles,non flex fuel at 10k. I bought a 2019 non flex fuel tundra in October of 2019.
That's if you used Flex fuel on the flex-fuel vehicle. NH and MA have many Flex fuel trucks sold in each state. NH doesn't have a single station that sells E-85, and MA has only one.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander - 2006 Matrix
22 Posts
I'm coming up on 65k miles on my 2015 XLE and wanted to do the ATF change, but my normal shop couldn't do it citing the need to have dealer computer hooked up. I use a good shop (Goodyear based Tire Central and Service) that does just about everything and they are trustworthy.

I'm sort of dreading going to the dealer and having them tell me the ATF fluid doesn't need to be changed because it's lifetime...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Doesn't take a dealer computer to change the transmission fluid. All it takes is a little plastic tube and and a scanner that reads the transmission temperature. Any half-way decent shop will have both. In any case the "dealer computer" software is $1300/year. I would expect that most larger shops have a subscription.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Doesn't take a dealer computer to change the transmission fluid. All it takes is a little plastic tube and and a scanner that reads the transmission temperature. Any half-way decent shop will have both. In any case the "dealer computer" software is $1300/year. I would expect that most larger shops have a subscription.

I have a 2018 hybrid and subscribed to TechInfo for three days (minimum subscription) and printed out everything I could think of. The transmission fluid on the Hybrid is a very simple drain, measure, refill - was so happy I don't have to worry about temperature, etc. that you ice guys have to deal with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I remember 10k service intervals outside north America 15 to 20 years ago and oil was not synthetic. The main reason for the shorter intervals here now is the mindset of the customer I suspect, they don't believe in maintaining their vehicle strictly to the schedule and often run past the
10k oil change intervals in Europe was mainly due to the oil formula they used there and how the miles they put on their vehicles.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts