Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, im planning to boost my 2009 Corolla MT. The only thing is I really want to get it to at least 330hp and over build the setup in hopes to not blow it up. I’m planning to run maybe a flex fuel kit and build the motor. Does anyone have any recommended routes to achieve 300-400 HP?

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,276 Posts
That's a big ask out of the 2zr. Not impossible. Are you planning to track the car in the future or just for boosted street fun?

@SuperchargedMR2 will tell you what he's done to his 2009 Corolla S. It's a great build. But his is reliable.

I would not go that high. A conservative build is better than blowing it up unless it's full time track.

·
Registered
365 Posts
probably asking too much out of the engine :O I know a 4cyl mercedes that has 400+ hp stock but its higher displacement, overengineered and probably prone to failures. Its only a 2.0 L engine, so technically, your goal is probly acheivable what cost, probably more than the cost of another 400hp car. :p

that AMG motor has direct+port injection, so I think going for this much power in a corolla, the new 2020 tgna 2.0 L direct injection will have the kind of power to reach near 300hp with a turbo...

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,335 Posts
Hi everyone, im planning to boost my 2009 Corolla MT. The only thing is I really want to get it to at least 330hp and over build the setup in hopes to not blow it up. I’m planning to run maybe a flex fuel kit and build the motor. Does anyone have any recommended routes to achieve 300-400 HP?
If I were to go for that much power I would buy a built motor from Monkey Wrench Racing. You can select different options for what you want.

I wanted a reliable build without getting into the motor. I'm running 8.5psi for 230 crank hp and 195whp. It totally transformed my Corolla and I don't really feel the need for more power at this point. I've been told that the stock internals can handle 275hp at the crank but I didn't want to push it.

You should look at the turbo kit from Turbokits. They have a lot of options for the turbo to get the HP you want. The kit is also well design and has excellent build quality. My tuner said nothing but great things about it.

Reactions: Corolla trd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a big ask out of the 2zr. Not impossible. Are you planning to track the car in the future or just for boosted street fun?

@SuperchargedMR2 will tell you what he's done to his 2009 Corolla S. It's a great build. But his is reliable.

I would not go that high. A conservative build is better than blowing it up unless it's full time track.
Yeah I’m just trying to keep it a sleeper and run on the street. I don’t have any other plans for the car besides gap

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I were to go for that much power I would buy a built motor from Monkey Wrench Racing. You can select different options for what you want.

I wanted a reliable build without getting into the motor. I'm running 8.5psi for 230 crank hp and 195whp. It totally transformed my Corolla and I don't really feel the need for more power at this point. I've been told that the stock internals can handle 275hp at the crank but I didn't want to push it.

You should look at the turbo kit from Turbokits. They have a lot of options for the turbo to get the HP you want. The kit is also well design and has excellent build quality. My tuner said nothing but great things about it. View attachment 310421
I really like your build man and it inspires me to keep my 09 corolla. I bought my car for 2k and it’s on 150k miles so it was a steal. I’m expecting to spend 3k for the turbo kit and basically 5k for the motor. All the supporting mods and nic nacs I plan to stay under 12k with a 350HP sleeper

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,335 Posts
I really like your build man and it inspires me to keep my 09 corolla. I bought my car for 2k and it’s on 150k miles so it was a steal. I’m expecting to spend 3k for the turbo kit and basically 5k for the motor. All the supporting mods and nic nacs I plan to stay under 12k with a 350HP sleeper
My only concern with 350hp would be the other parts that are hard to upgrade like the drive axels and transmission. If you are going all out all the time I think you will be okay. It's fun to surprise people though when I surprise them and they see a Corolla that doesn't call itself out too much.

Are you going to get a motor from MWR? I would trust them m ore to do a built motor more. If anything ever happened to my motor that's what I would do.

Reactions: iamdannyb

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,276 Posts
My only concern with 350hp would be the other parts that are hard to upgrade like the drive axels and transmission. If you are going all out all the time I think you will be okay. It's fun to surprise people though when I surprise them and they see a Corolla that doesn't call itself out too much.

Are you going to get a motor from MWR? I would trust them m ore to do a built motor more. If anything ever happened to my motor that's what I would do.
I dunno if spending $6k or more would be worth the investment. This would make the entire build closer to $10k with turbo and tuning. If it were a track car, of course it would be worth its weight in gold. Just the axles alone will be custom made.

I'd suggest to look for a much different platform that can handle the power at the range you want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

If I end up boosting the car I am going to get all the parts from MWR and like you said just the other parts are going to be a pain

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,335 Posts
I dunno if spending $6k or more would be worth the investment. This would make the entire build closer to $10k with turbo and tuning. If it were a track car, of course it would be worth its weight in gold. Just the axles alone will be custom made.

I'd suggest to look for a much different platform that can handle the power at the range you want.
When it comes to modding cars I've never worried about the worth the investment issue. If that was the case I wouldn't spend a penny on modding my cars. It's a labor of love to get what I want and if I'm okay spending the money I could care less. To me my Corolla Turbo is priceless since it's a very rare breed that my hands helped made. :cool: :p

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,276 Posts
When it comes to modding cars I've never worried about the worth the investment issue. If that was the case I wouldn't spend a penny on modding my cars. It's a labor of love to get what I want and if I'm okay spending the money I could care less. To me my Corolla Turbo is priceless since it's a very rare breed that my hands helped made. :cool: :p
I get that. But, it's also a risk. There was a matrix owner selling their car. It had a $6k built mwr 2zz. Either the owner didn't break it in properly or there was an issue in the build. Not sure what the issue was.

Just saying.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,335 Posts
I get that. But, it's also a risk. There was a matrix owner selling their car. It had a $6k built mwr 2zz. Either the owner didn't break it in properly or there was an issue in the build. Not sure what the issue was.

Just saying.
Life is a risk. It depends on what someone can afford. I own my house free and clear, no car payments, and my wife and I each make 6 figures so it's not an issue for me. Everyone has to know their limits. I could afford to buy a $100k car but I choose not too. I'm perfectly happy with my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT that cost a fraction of that cost and still leaves me smiling from ear to ear. :D

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,276 Posts
Life is a risk. It depends on what someone can afford. I own my house free and clear, no car payments, and my wife and I each make 6 figures so it's not an issue for me. Everyone has to know their limits. I could afford to buy a $100k car but I choose not too. I'm perfectly happy with my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT that cost a fraction of that cost and still leaves me smiling from ear to ear. :D
That's awesome that you don't have to worry about funding for your toys.

Hard work does go a long way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like with your turbo corolla build it’s sick man, I just don’t know if it’s enough power for me to have fun with. Also You’ve spiked my Interest In your profession! I wouldn’t mind making 6 figures and still being very happy with my corolla! Tell me more

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,276 Posts
Your build is a mild build and still retains the Toyota reliability. Compared to the goals of the op, a couple of issues arise.

1. Loss of reliability pushing 320hp
2. Can you reliably know for sure that the motor is built up to be reliable?
3. Project headaches

I would be proud of your build too had I done the same thing. But there's always the trade off here. Loss of Toyota reliability to be dd.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.