Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Proud TN Member
Camry Gen3
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Ecuador, all service centers use 10w30 oil claiming that 0w20 or 5w20 is not necessary because weather is not that cold. We have temperatures like 35 degrees celsius in the afternoons, and 14 degrees at mornings. is that right? can we use 10w30?

thanks.

·
Proud TN Member
Camry Gen3
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it's about the camry hybrid btw. don't pay attention to the signature.
thank you.

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
610 Posts
Here in Ecuador, all service centers use 10w30 oil claiming that 0w20 or 5w20 is not necessary because weather is not that cold. We have temperatures like 35 degrees celsius in the afternoons, and 14 degrees at mornings. is that right? can we use 10w30?

thanks.
The dealer did the initial oil change on my 08 with their 'bulk' 5W30. The 'engine on' transition was noticeably rougher, and the MPG wend down by 1. With frequent on/off cycles, having quick pressure build is key to engine longevity - the heavier oil will be slower to flow. That said, at high temps it's not likely to kill your engine (at least quickly), but it will decrease MPG and make the car feel rougher.

·
Registered
TCH 2010
14 Posts
Same thing happened to my TCH after its first service. I told the dealership to use 0W20, but somehow, they just ignored that and changed it with 5W20. Though the manual said it's okay to use that when 0W20 is not available, I do feel that this change in engine oil has caused the fuel economy to go down. Since the manual calls for 0W20, I'll go to another garage and told them to only put 0W20 in it. I heard that with 0W20, you can service your car at every 10000miles (16000km), am I correct? Where can we find information about that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
0W-20 and 10000 mi change

I remember a posting on this board so you may try search. My memory is that the authorized extension to 10,000 miles is only for 2010 and newer TCH, despite virtually no differences with the earlier TCH's.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
This is true, 10,000 mile oil change intervals with the 2010 and newer Camry's. (Hybrid and 4 cyl only) IF you use 0w20 in an older Camry (2009 and before) they say to still replace every 5,000 miles.

Personally, since I drive mostly shorter trips, I will change the oil on my Camry ever 5,000 miles even though mine says to go by the 10,000 mile interval.

·
Super Moderator
9,027 Posts
let me tell you something about 0W20 oil.
don't do it.

though manual says it is recommended for optimum performance and mpg, i did it, my mpg dropped down right away.

oh, and to make it clear - i did not use walmart oil. i used iffing creme de la creme - amsoil full blown synth at $9 a qrt. does not get any better than that. mpg dropped right away and keeps dropping. i am seriously considering draining it down and going back to 5w20. and i stil have ton of miles to go on it, as it's easily lasting 15K miles on toyota vehicles. and i got only 4k.

·
Registered
'09 Camry Hybrid
25 Posts
This is true, 10,000 mile oil change intervals with the 2010 and newer Camry's. (Hybrid and 4 cyl only) IF you use 0w20 in an older Camry (2009 and before) they say to still replace every 5,000 miles.

Personally, since I drive mostly shorter trips, I will change the oil on my Camry ever 5,000 miles even though mine says to go by the 10,000 mile interval.
I just had my 2009 Camry Hybrid to the Toyota dealership for it's 20,000 mile service. I talked to the service manager after the service regarding 10,000 mile oil changes on the Hybrid. He stated that beginning with the 2010 models, Toyota was using full synthetic oil in its hybrids. Therefore these vehicles will have a 10,000 mile oil change. He further stated, that since I use synthetic (Mobil 1 5/20), I can go 10,000 miles between oil changes.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
^If you want. The owner's manual will tell you even though that you're using 0w20, to still replace every 5k. Personally, synthetic or not, I'm not letting it go 10k anyway. I'm always gonna change my Camry's oil myself every 5k. I put it through some stuff most drivers wouldn't anyway.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
^If you want. The owner's manual will tell you even though that you're using 0w20, to still replace every 5k. Personally, synthetic or not, I'm not letting it go 10k anyway. I'm always gonna change my Camry's oil myself every 5k. I put it through some stuff most drivers wouldn't anyway.

I'm going to do changes every 5K with Toyota 0w20 and a Toyota filter at 5K,Toyota service 10K,I'll do 15K and Toyota service 20K then the free maintenance plan is over.I'll do 7000-7500 mile intervals from then on with Toyota 0w20 and Toyota filter..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts