Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was going to change the oil, but what is this 10w30 oil then? when i go to the shops, they either dont have it at all or only have 10w30 for diesel engines... so should i use that diesel version or find some bigger shop that also has 10w30 for petrol engines?

and is it like half-synthetic oil then or only a lower-quality mineral oil, which they usually use in lawn mower engines??

and is the number 30 like a flowing parameter, not a soot/carbon deposit indicator? (aka 40 would soot up stuff a bit more?)
or should i just use 5w30 oil then to make it even full-synthetic?

(the engine basically had a full rebuild with piston ring and all gasket replacements etc...)
and what would the service interval be with 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40 then... (spark plugs are 20k km?)

·
Read Only
3,913 Posts
10W-30 motor oil is not used very much these days on newer cars, because 5W-30 provides better cold weather starting ability. Both of those two viscosities could be a conventional oil, semi-synthetic, or a full synthetic.

The only time the viscosity is related to the type of oil is when you get down to 0W-nn, which (at least so far) is not available in a conventional oil due to limitations of conventional oil properties.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,042 Posts
Just do a search and read about motor oil weights. The first number is the cold viscosity and the second number is hot viscosity.

You can get 10w-30 or 5w-30 in synthetic or not. Synthetic will last longer before breaking down in the engine and losing its ability to lubricate as well.

I use 10w-30 usually since I live in the desert heat in Phoenix, and the owner's manual says to use 10w-30 if temperatures ever get above 100°F (38°C) and don't drop below freezing. Otherwise use 5w-30 for cooler climates (where most people live). I'm guessing Estonia doesn't get too hot, so 5w-30 is the preferred weight by Toyota.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
1,674 Posts
In the US, 93-95 model years called for 10W-30 and 96-97 model years called for 5W-30 despite the engines being almost identical. You can use either, and it's likely 5W-30 is better.
The 96-97 was retuned to lose 10 hp, so it had the same hp as the 4A-FE, with a slight bump in torque though.

I can go to wally world and still find 10w30 though.

·
You asked for it...
424 Posts
Pick one and go. I've used both indiscriminately for many years, plus 10w 40 sometimes in the Phoenix summer, and am now approaching 350K miles on my 97. Still drive it every day and it runs fine. The only real difference between the two is when the engine is cold (5 is thinner than 10 so car starts easier and warms up a little faster). After it's warm, which is where most of your time is spent, you're at 30w regardless.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Former Toy Master Tech here, AmzOil dealer since my Corolla racing days in the 70s. I'm using AmzOil Signature 0w-20 in my 7A-FE 93, adding a qt every 600-1000 mi, haven't changed it in the 50,000 miles I've put on it, have changed filter twice.

See my 2 Corolla race cars in the Hardcore Tech and Competition forum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.