Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Tundra/Ram/Buick PA
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't installed the new gauges and trim panel yet but thought it would be a good time to make one or both of the dash 12V plugs hot. Am I biting off too much or is it no big deal? There has been more than a few times that I needed to charge my cellphone but have not had the wall charging plug and cord.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,384 Posts
Are you saying at a power socket or making a pre-existing power socket always ON whether or not the key is in? I rather have a running vehicle with a dead phone than a almost dead phone and a dead vehicle.

·
Registered
Tundra/Ram/Buick PA
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 02 Ram had a hot 12V plug in the center console. It made it easy to plug in phone then do my shopping. I'd come back and phone would have a good charge on it.

I'd like to have one or both of the dash panel plugs where I could do the same thing.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,384 Posts
I'd leave them as they are to prevent the battery from going bad. I am not sure how the Ram did it but I am assuming either straight to the battery or some sort of "extra battery" to prevent the main battery from dying. I would recommend comparing your specific Ram's electrical wiring diagram to the Toyota's just to see how they work. Or at a minimum just look at the Toyota's EWD and see where you can either get power or where you can cut and bypass to get power.

·
Registered
Tundra/Ram/Buick PA
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not a smoker so that might be my answer here. Removal of the cigarette lighter then turn it into a hot 12V plug. That would keep this single 12V plug isolated away from the trucks electric system. Then I could use the ground and ignition 12V wire from lighter for the new gauges. Have to do a-little research here on this...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts