Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea ive got aruond $120 or like $150 to spend on some upgrades on my 97 toyota corolla. i allready have a K&N filter, but what else can i buy for like $150?

·
I love Turbos
37 Posts
Well, you could advance the timing and buy premium, 150 won't go too far, you might beable to buy 1 good tire.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
advance the timings? oh yea forgot to mention its a automatic.

also, think i could get a new cat convertor from like OBX and it would improve some or no? and if it did improve it, what will it improve?

·
Registered
06 Toyota Yaris
21 Posts
Here's a plan: go to the bank and set up a mutual fund account that takes like $25 out of your main account every month. Drop that $150 into it immediately and everytime you got an extra hundred drop it in. When you got enough to do a real mod then pull out the money and do something worthwhile. The mutual fund account will pay a lot better than a savings account - although there is some risk it'll drop in value, but that will be minimal and usually goes up significantly. Plus it makes sure you actually save up the money for stuff like this instead of blowing it on useless cR*p.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
look in the fields around you, you might find an mk1 mr2 for $100 :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Lowering a car....you have two options:
1. Be an idiot and chop your springs for free (don't do it!)

2: Get some lowering springs (approx. $200-$250 USD) and you should prolly get 4 new struts as well, adding up to about $800-$1000 USD.

So in short, throw your $120 into the bank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could be cheap about it, cut your springs and buy some nice struts... I would not recommend this though. Unless you were a ricer, then it doesn't matter ;)

If I were you, I would just save the money. Your car is an automatic. Save the money on something you can afford to beat like an old school car. Id buy an old Mk1 VW, thats just me. Since you guys like toyota, why not get an old celica or datsun thos are pimp. Just do what you can afford. I wouldn't go any further then lowering your car correctly. Unless you can get a stall & shift kit.

GL with 150, give your car a tune up =P

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i need help replacing my AC belt but no1 is helping. i have no idea how to get to it. do i need to remove the altenator belt and then the ac belt is easy to get out?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
it's funny you guys talk about cutting springs..... a good friend of mine has an 89 n/a mr2.... he bought it with cut springs and stock struts. My mr2 has eibach springs and kyb inserts..... his car sits lower than mine, handles better than mine, is stiffer than mine, and rides pretty damn smooth.

i'm considering throwing stock springs (cut) back onto my ae92 just for driving around (yes, i do have aftermarket parts).

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
just thought about this..... what you really might want to consider doing.... is search around your area and find any local car owners clubs that hold regular auto-x events. almost all of them hold some sort of training/class course at the beginning of the season. You should probably learn to drive your car before you modify it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts