Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently bought a 13 Avalon with 76K miles. When I test drove the car it had a vibration and I told the dealer to fix before I buy. They said they did but it was only slightly better. I really liked the car so I bought it and figured I would just get the wheels re-balanced. At the tire shop we discovered 2 bent rims. The dealer gave me a credit for the rims so I bought 4 brand new replica wheels and new tires. But, I still have a vibration at 65 mph and higher. Any ideas? The steering wheel is dead centered, it doesn't pull to either side either. Also there's no slop or play in steering.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
14,634 Posts
Hi everyone, I recently bought a 13 Avalon with 76K miles. When I test drove the car it had a vibration and I told the dealer to fix before I buy. They said they did but it was only slightly better. I really liked the car so I bought it and figured I would just get the wheels re-balanced. At the tire shop we discovered 2 bent rims. The dealer gave me a credit for the rims so I bought 4 brand new replica wheels and new tires. But, I still have a vibration at 65 mph and higher. Any ideas? The steering wheel is dead centered, it doesn't pull to either side either. Also there's no slop or play in steering.
Depends on the vibration. Is it the "OMG I AM GONNA DIE" vibration or the "something is there but not there but is there" vibration? If all of the suspension components are tight, all I can think of is badly designed wheel bearings but I have not heard much about that from other models other than Gen 6 Camry's as they have a TSB about it.

I have re-balanced my wheels and had 3.5 sets of tires on my 08 Camry and my entire suspension is tight as they have always been even with my tendency to drive over the medians and curbs. I still get a slight vibration and slightly off center steering wheel but everything is tight and in spec. It's been like this most likely since 2010 but I only really noticed it around 2012/2013.

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
2014 Avalon Limited
1,092 Posts
Hey WTW,

Vibration is a very rare complaint with the Avalon. I dare say I've never seen the issue raised unless it involved worn tires or warped brake rotors. So, let's trouble shoot!

If you're feeling vibration in the steering wheel or obviously in the front end check both half shafts to be sure one or both aren't bent. Also make sure the CV joints are tight. If that checks out roll back to wherever you purchased your wheels and tires to have the combo checked for out of round/flat spotting of tires or warped (I know they're new) rims.

If the vibration is coming from the rear then your new tires/wheels are the most likely culprits. Have them checked for out of round/flat spotting.

And one from the 'silly but it happens' file, check to be sure the car hasn't picked up something like a plastic bag or other road debris that's causing an imbalance someplace.

And finally, the dealer said they'd fix the vibration.....hold them to it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not an OMG vib but it annoys me as the Avalon should be smooth. When I have time, I will jack her up and give it the wheel wiggle test. Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey WTW,

Vibration is a very rare complaint with the Avalon. I dare say I've never seen the issue raised unless it involved worn tires or warped brake rotors. So, let's trouble shoot!

If you're feeling vibration in the steering wheel or obviously in the front end check both half shafts to be sure one or both aren't bent. Also make sure the CV joints are tight. If that checks out roll back to wherever you purchased your wheels and tires to have the combo checked for out of round/flat spotting of tires or warped (I know they're new) rims.

If the vibration is coming from the rear then your new tires/wheels are the most likely culprits. Have them checked for out of round/flat spotting.

And one from the 'silly but it happens' file, check to be sure the car hasn't picked up something like a plastic bag or other road debris that's causing an imbalance someplace.

And finally, the dealer said they'd fix the vibration.....hold them to it.

Cheers!
Hmm, I was thinking brakes myself. For a real Toyota dealer, they haven't been much help, I guess because it's not a CPO?

I get brake grinding sensation and noise when the car is cold. The dealer records show rotors resurfaced and pads replaced a 1000 miles ago. I brought it back and they persist that the brakes are good. There's no pulsing of the pedal when braking but could the rotors still be warped? I moved since I bought it and now live an hour away so going back will be a hassle.

I will go back to the tire shop that mounted the tires and get them checked out. The rims are from Partsgeek and got a 5 star review. The tires are Vredestein Qutrac 5, also great reviews. I'm hoping the drive axles are ok but worried since the rims were bent badly and I think this car was driven mostly in Phila.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
14,634 Posts
Hmm, I was thinking brakes myself. For a real Toyota dealer, they haven't been much help, I guess because it's not a CPO?

I get brake grinding sensation and noise when the car is cold. The dealer records show rotors resurfaced and pads replaced a 1000 miles ago. I brought it back and they persist that the brakes are good. There's no pulsing of the pedal when braking but could the rotors still be warped? I moved since I bought it and now live an hour away so going back will be a hassle.

I will go back to the tire shop that mounted the tires and get them checked out. The rims are from Partsgeek and got a 5 star review. The tires are Vredestein Qutrac 5, also great reviews. I'm hoping the drive axles are ok but worried since the rims were bent badly and I think this car was driven mostly in Phila.
I still think that for my Camry but I have also figured it is just the nature of the beast. I could change my wheel bearing and hope that fixes it per the TSB but at the same time they aren't "bad" so why waste money now until they go bad?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone recommend where to buy OEM rotors and pads? Are the OEM's on Amazon any good? I'm going to start with the front brakes even if it doesn't fix the vibration. The brakes grind when cold, the dealer says they are good but I don't believe so.

·
PJSMITH
1,643 Posts
First, put your location or living area on the profile/Avatar to help by location.
Things are different in different areas. This also is for everyone on this forum.

Second, have you taken the tires/wheels to a tire shop that specializes in tires?
I like my dealer but tires are usually mounted by the newest kid that can operate a oil change machine. I doubt that the dealer has the proper equipment for diagnosis and they just send it back to a different guy to try and balance the tires again.

In SOCAL we have Discount Tire or American Tire that they do tires. No alignments or oil changes, etc. My local DT dealer is great. \

If we know what area you live near, a member might have a recommended tire guy.

Also have you tried a drive in a similar car on the same road that you drive and feel the vibration?

If only At 65mph, it usually points at balance. Not the only thing.
If you trust that the tires are balanced and "new" then rotate the tires and see if it changes anything.

·
2016 Avalon Limited
259 Posts
First, put your location or living area on the profile/Avatar to help by location.
Things are different in different areas. This also is for everyone on this forum.

Second, have you taken the tires/wheels to a tire shop that specializes in tires?
I like my dealer but tires are usually mounted by the newest kid that can operate a oil change machine. I doubt that the dealer has the proper equipment for diagnosis and they just send it back to a different guy to try and balance the tires again.

In SOCAL we have Discount Tire or American Tire that they do tires. No alignments or oil changes, etc. My local DT dealer is great. \

If we know what area you live near, a member might have a recommended tire guy.

Also have you tried a drive in a similar car on the same road that you drive and feel the vibration?

If only At 65mph, it usually points at balance. Not the only thing.
If you trust that the tires are balanced and "new" then rotate the tires and see if it changes anything.
Follow this advise and you will solve your problem.

·
PJSMITH
1,643 Posts
I did have a problem with a different car that might help diagnose.

Find a quiet place behind a warehouse or a parking lot that is empty with a cement/cinder block wall.
The purpose of the wall is a reflector.

Drive the car in a circle left and then right at low speed. If you have a friend to listen from outside the car it helps.

The quiet slow drive made a quiet soft grind of the bad bearing sound vivid.

It's worth a try.

Since you dont feel the vibrate until 65, it's unlikely, but you never know until you eliminate what it isn't.

Remember Edison found 200 way not to make a lightbulb before he found the way.

Reactions: Old Mechanic

·
Registered
505 Posts
if the wheels were bent i would check the suspension components for bent damage also. check the bushings and ball joints. next is inspect the cv boots for tear. i know that no grease in the inner cv boots will cause vibration upon acceleration at highway speeds.

so take the wheels off and start grabbing the links and struts to see if they wobble. sounds like something is loose.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I will go back to the tire shop that mounted the tires and get them checked out.
Usually vibration at a certain speed is due to a wheel balance issue. Sometimes the simplest explanation is also the correct one. Did you take the car back to the tire shop for wheel balancing?

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Corolla
2,018 Posts
He already posted "Vredestein Qutrac 5" plus brand new wheels. I'm still going with a bent half shaft (axle) or bad CVjoint, especially since the OEM wheels were badly damaged.
That's what it sounds like to me too.

·
Registered
Toyota Avalon
81 Posts
Typically vibrations that occur at around 55mph or 65mph are caused by tires.

A front vibration can usually be felt in the steering, and is also felt in the steering by gently moving the steering wheel slightly back and forth when the vehicle is travelling at speed. A wobble can be felt when transitioning steering direction.

Vibrations coming from the rear can be felt in the seats or stomach.

You may have vibrations coming from both the front and back which is making it harder to diagnose.

I would suggest starting off with a road force balance using a Hunter GSP9700.
The Toyota dealer should have one, however some Discount Tires have them, or you can locate a tire dealer with one using this site:
https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700
Most Nissan dealers have one, and they will work on your Avalon.
The GSP9700 should find most problems with the tires or rims, if damaged. It will also show whether the road force is out of tolerance for your vehicle.
I suggest you watch the technician performing the balance so you can see for yourself whether the tires balance, the weights that are required to balance them, and whether the road force is within tolerance. The tires may balance, but if the road force is out of tolerance they will still vibrate. Ask the tech for a printed report which you can take back to the dealer you purchased the Avalon from, or to the tire dealer that installed the new tires.

I had a 2010 Maxima and a 2016 Maxima, both with vibration problems from new. The Maxima is very sensitive to tires.
The only thing that resolved them was replacing the tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 on the 2010 (recommended by Nissan), and replacing the OEM Continentals with Michelin Primacy MXM4 on the 2016. Michelin builds in anti-vibration technologies into these tires. The Nissan dealer told me that most vibration problems they see are cured by these tires.

I do not recommend the newer Michelin Premier A/S which is supposed to replace the Primacy MXV4. The Premier is noisier and harder riding.
The Primacy MXV4 is OEM equipment on my 2018 Avalon. We also had these on my wife's Pilot and they are phenomenal tires and worth the price.

If you take you car back to the tire dealer that installed the new tires, they may be able to get a "ride guarantee" credit from the manufacturer which you can put towards the cost of the Michelins, especially if the road force balance report shows problems. If the dealer won't do that for you, call the manufacturer yourself and ask for a credit. Use the road force report if necessary as evidence.

If Michelins do not resolve the issue, then obviously the vibration is more complex. We had a Honda Pilot that had vibrations from new, and the problem turned out to be defective CV half shafts which were replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Hybrid, 2018 Prius Four Touring, 2018 Prius Two, 2015 Nissan LeafS
555 Posts
...Michelin builds in anti-vibration technologies into these tires....
I do not recommend the newer Michelin Premier A/S which is supposed to replace the Primacy MXV4. The Premier is noisier and harder riding.
The Primacy MXV4 is OEM equipment on my 2018 Avalon. We also had these on my wife's Pilot and they are phenomenal tires and worth the price.
"...anti-vibration technologies..." ???? I've never heard, nor read, anything like that before. Can you provide a source for this info?

I've owned both the MXV4 and now running the Premier A/S. I respectfully disagree with your comparison. I quite like the Premier A/S tires, now with c. 20k and 40k miles on the tires, the 40k tires have another 20k in them, if I choose to keep them that long.

Online tire discussions are fraught with conflicting opinions. There are just too many variables. Always best to take advice regionally, as road surfaces vary greatly from region to region.

I agree that road-force balancing can possibly reveal the source of your vibration issues. I had similar issues on a 2007 Honda Odyssey, multiple balancing (5 different dealerships/shops), changed tires, machined the rotors ON THE VEHICLE, which helped some, but the vibration kept recurring, at random speeds/road surfaces. Ultimately traded the vehicle at 26k miles.

I hope you solve your vibration issue!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Usually vibration at a certain speed is due to a wheel balance issue. Sometimes the simplest explanation is also the correct one. Did you take the car back to the tire shop for wheel balancing?

Yes, I took it back yesterday. They found a high spot on one of the front wheels. They forced balanced it and re-balanced the other 3 to be safe. Get her up to 75 mph and the vibration persists. Ugh! The tires are passed the brake in period mileage wise. The tires are Vredestein Quatrac 5 225/45 18. I noticed that they are noisy and ride rough. Speaking with the tire shop owner, he never heard of them. They got a 5 stars from buyers on Tire rack, and TR gave them high ratings in all categories. MFR date is 2018. Maybe I just got a bad batch? I'm not happy with these at all!

I called TR and they agreed to take them back since I'm within the 30 return period. They recommended YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND GT XL for my car so I ordered them. I also have an appointment to have the front end checked out this week. What a pain. Luckily I live about 20 minutes from TR so I get a discount for picking up and no sales tax in DE.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts