Toyota Nation Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
What it can be is the result of runout on several parts combined. If each are out .02 and you have three like that then you're out .06. However, try the figure 8's and never rely on assuming a dealer tech went the extra mile since they are in a production environment. The figure 8 test is free so do it. Then f that is OK find an indy shop that does Toyota/Honda and ask them. Next, find a performance shop that does chassis work on performance cars like Porsche, BMW etc.

I had this same issue with a 1987 Porsche 944S and it turned out to be cumulative runout in the front wheel assemblies. Solution: Have a performance shop balance the entire wheel assembly on the car. Cost to diagnose after 4 tire shops: $900. Cost to repair: $100

Next question: Has the vehicle ever been in a front end collision?
As far as I know, no accidents. Clean car fax from dealer but you know how that goes. I had the service dept put the car on the lift before I bought, so I could see the under carriage and all looked kosher.

But like I sated in the beginning of this thread, all the rims were bent, so that's almost as bad as an accident IMO. What is an indy shop? I'm guessing a high perf garage of some sort.

·
Registered
2016 AVALON XLE, 2016 ES350
143 Posts
As far as I know, no accidents. Clean car fax from dealer but you know how that goes. I had the service dept put the car on the lift before I bought, so I could see the under carriage and all looked kosher.

But like I sated in the beginning of this thread, all the rims were bent, so that's almost as bad as an accident IMO. What is an indy shop? I'm guessing a high perf garage of some sort.
Indy shop= Independent mechanic. In Ohio I had a Toyota/Honda only indy shop that were all certified Techs from Dealers. In fact every time I went there they had at least 5 brand new Toyotas or Hondas with the wrapping still on them getting something done. Their labor rate was 1/2 of a dealer. I wish I could find one here in Florida. If all of your rims were bent then my guess is you have something damaged in the front end. However, heavy potholes will damage the front axles if you hit them right. They usually won't damage brake rotors or calipers. Do the figure 8 test and see what happens.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Hybrid, 2018 Prius Four Touring, 2018 Prius Two, 2015 Nissan LeafS
555 Posts
Too lazy to read back 6 pages...Walltowall: Where do you live? What region was the car driven in for 76k miles? That DOES make a difference!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Ok, did the figure 8. I cut the wheel fully in both directions. No noises. I live in south Jersey. Bought the car from a dealer in Langhorn Pa. Car was registered in Pa. So most likely the miles on it are hard miles. I'm hoping the wasn't a rental. Thanks for the Indy description, I was thinking a shop with race cars lol. If anyone can recommend a shop in south Jersey or surrounding area, I'm all ears.

I found a Youtube vid where a guy replaced the right side drive axle. Is the process pretty much the same for the left? I'm guessing alignment not needed after changing these?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok, did the figure 8. I cut the wheel fully in both directions. No noises. I live in south Jersey. Bought the car from a dealer in Langhorn Pa. Car was registered in Pa. So most likely the miles on it are hard miles. I'm hoping the wasn't a rental. Thanks for the Indy description, I was thinking a shop with race cars lol. If anyone can recommend a shop in south Jersey or surrounding area, I'm all ears.

I found a Youtube vid where a guy replaced the right side drive axle. Is the process pretty much the same for the left? I'm guessing alignment not needed after changing these?
Sounds to me like the car suffered lots of pothole damage from maybe Philly. My youngest is in College there...lots of chuckholes. Just like Newark. :|

This is why my next car will be a 1 owner from FL., GA, SC, NC...preferably FL. The roads down here are so smooth compared to Cleveland.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I just orders some dial indicator tools so I can check the runout on the hub assembly and brake rotors. Basically ordered the same tools that this guy used in this vid:

I should be able to test the lateral and vertical runout.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just orders some dial indicator tools so I can check the runout on the hub assembly and brake rotors. Basically ordered the same tools that this guy used in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXWQAEVRWTY

I should be able to test the lateral and vertical runout.
Excellent idea. Just be sure to get a drill and cup brush and clean up all of the surfaces that contact each other. Corrosion can really throw off the measurements. I am surprised none of the shops did this diagnostic for you. But then again...few mechanics today will take the time to do it. Most will just throw new parts at it until they resolve the issue. also, do torque the lug nuts on when checking the brake rotor so they are evenly bolted on. Your spec should be 77ft lbs. But if you do less it will still work as long as they are all the same value.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
The dial indicators have arrived. Will try to get at this tomorrow. Question. I believe I have a bent wheel hub on the drivers side. I was looking on Rock auto. They have a loaded knuckle but only for XLE. Will this work on Ltd? In a perfect world, I would be able to change the wheel bearing and hub without removing the knuckle from the car. Since it is pressed in, is there a way to do this? Special tool?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check with your dealer parts guy using your vin number to be sure before you purchase parts.

You can also look on here to see if you find the correct part numbers. You will need a bearing puller if you don't have an encapsulated wheel hub with the bearing in it.

http://www.toyodiy.com/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Check with your dealer parts guy using your vin number to be sure before you purchase parts.

You can also look on here to see if you find the correct part numbers. You will need a bearing puller if you don't have an encapsulated wheel hub with the bearing in it.

http://www.toyodiy.com/
Thanks! I will call dealer tomorrow. I registered on the toyodiy site. I couldn't find anything on Avalon front bearings though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WalltoWallPinball has the vibration problem been resolved? The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to purchase a 2018 Avalon XLE with 31K on it and when I test drove it, it was vibrating enough to feel it in my stomach fairly severe as did my girlfriend but the sale rep in the back seat said he didn't feel it. The vibration could be felt from 10mph up but was very noticeable at around 40mph. The rep said it was probably a tire balance issue and they were going to balance the tires and I could give it a test drive again in few days. The front tires are new on this car (still have the nibs on them) where the rear tire are the original Michelins and still have a good amount of thread on them. I was thinking maybe the front tires wore unevenly or were damaged so they replaced them, it only has 31K miles on it. It would be good to know if you finally found the cause of the vibration because I may be looking at the same issue with this car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
WalltoWallPinball has the vibration problem been resolved? The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to purchase a 2018 Avalon XLE with 31K on it and when I test drove it, it was vibrating enough to feel it in my stomach fairly severe as did my girlfriend but the sale rep in the back seat said he didn't feel it. The vibration could be felt from 10mph up but was very noticeable at around 40mph. The rep said it was probably a tire balance issue and they were going to balance the tires and I could give it a test drive again in few days. The front tires are new on this car (still have the nibs on them) where the rear tire are the original Michelins and still have a good amount of thread on them. I was thinking maybe the front tires wore unevenly or were damaged so they replaced them, it only has 31K miles on it. It would be good to know if you finally found the cause of the vibration because I may be looking at the same issue with this car.
I really doubt that it would be a tire balance issue at 10 MPH!! I would stay away from that car if it were me. I fell for the ol' tire balance routine. Yeah it might help a bit but at highway speed you'll probably feel it again. Since the car is only a year old with that many miles is a concern as well, was it a rental? Is it a CPO?

I have not fixed my car yet. Very busy with other things since moving to a new home, the avy keeps getting pushed to the back burner. I suspect it has a either a bent wheel hub or axle shaft since everything else has been replaced. Winter is coming so I should get it fixed since the vibration is more prevalent in colder weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WalltoWallPinball thanks for the quick response and the advice. Yes it was a rental car which is why it has high miles. I've never felt vibration like that before where I can feel it more in my body than in the steering wheel. The first thing that came to my mind was a transmission issue. I don't know if the vibration was magnifying the imperfections in the road but instead of a solid comfortable ride, which I expected from the Avalon, .every little bump and hole could be felt.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,451 Posts
Just vibration, no noise or audible rumble?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
WalltoWallPinball thanks for the quick response and the advice. Yes it was a rental car which is why it has high miles. I've never felt vibration like that before where I can feel it more in my body than in the steering wheel. The first thing that came to my mind was a transmission issue. I don't know if the vibration was magnifying the imperfections in the road but instead of a solid comfortable ride, which I expected from the Avalon, .every little bump and hole could be felt.
Your welcome, stay away from rentals, you know everyone beats on them!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Remplace both front Axles and the bibration is gone. I had the same issue and that was the answer.
This might be the almighty solution I’ve been looking for, I’ve changed rims, ball joints, linkages, absorbers, tyres, same thing…
I had actually resigned to using the car like that and ignore the vibrations..
I’ve been tormented by the vibrations for 3years plus…
It occurs when accelerating…

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi everyone, I recently bought a 13 Avalon with 76K miles. When I test drove the car it had a vibration and I told the dealer to fix before I buy. They said they did but it was only slightly better. I really liked the car so I bought it and figured I would just get the wheels re-balanced. At the tire shop we discovered 2 bent rims. The dealer gave me a credit for the rims so I bought 4 brand new replica wheels and new tires. But, I still have a vibration at 65 mph and higher. Any ideas? The steering wheel is dead centered, it doesn't pull to either side either. Also there's no slop or play in steering.
Hello

I know this thread is 3 years old, but it will be helpful to know if you were able to find a permanent solution to the vibrations…
A response would be absolutely appreciated

·
Registered
2015 Touring Avalon
29 Posts
Hello

I know this thread is 3 years old, but it will be helpful to know if you were able to find a permanent solution to the vibrations…
A response would be absolutely appreciated
Eric hasn't posted in quite some time (July 2020). Right before Covid outbreak his wife cheated on him and he ended up getting a divorce. He decided to cash out his retirement early and now lives in the Philippines on a tropical island with not much internet access. He's happily dating a cute young thing over there now. I think he drives an older BMW now.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Eric hasn't posted in quite some time (July 2020). Right before Covid outbreak his wife cheated on him and he ended up getting a divorce. He decided to cash out his retirement early and now lives in the Philippines on a tropical island with not much internet access. He's happily dating a cute young thing over there now. I think he drives an older BMW now.
Amusing. I guess Rich changed his name to Eric when he moved to the Philippines, or was it French Polynesia?

Robert N.

·
Registered
2015 Touring Avalon
29 Posts
Amusing. I guess Rich changed his name to Eric when he moved to the Philippines, or was it French Polynesia?

Robert N.
Ok all joking aside you might be correct in that it was French Polynesia. Internet use is expensive there.

Hope he responds soon :)

81 - 100 of 101 Posts