Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my brake shoes replaced by an independent shop, and now I'm getting a loud scraping noise coming from the back. It's most audible when I'm coming to a stop (I think it gets drowned out by other noise when the car is moving) and it's worse when the brakes are warmed up, after lots of stop and go driving. I know brakes work by friction, but this is loud--it sounds like the noise you get when you've got rivets or backing hitting the drum. I took it back in to them, and they said that it "had dust in the drums." They blew out the dust, but it's still making noise.

I don't think there is any problem with the installation, they would have caught that when they checked it, but I figure they either used the wrong compound--ceramic maybe?--or else went too cheap with the new shoes. Anybody ever run into this, or have any other ideas about what this might be?

·
6,481 Posts
Take their installer with you for a ride. Warm up brakes well before.
THERE SHOULD BE NO SCRAPING NOISE. Or, no rubbing noise. Or, any noise, for that matter. Dust on brake pad material produces dull rubbing noise, not scraping noise. You have metal on metal somewhere.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
I had my brake shoes replaced by an independent shop, and now I'm getting a loud scraping noise coming from the back. It's most audible when I'm coming to a stop (I think it gets drowned out by other noise when the car is moving) and it's worse when the brakes are warmed up, after lots of stop and go driving. I know brakes work by friction, but this is loud--it sounds like the noise you get when you've got rivets or backing hitting the drum. I took it back in to them, and they said that it "had dust in the drums." They blew out the dust, but it's still making noise.

I don't think there is any problem with the installation, they would have caught that when they checked it, but I figure they either used the wrong compound--ceramic maybe?--or else went too cheap with the new shoes. Anybody ever run into this, or have any other ideas about what this might be?
Sounds like they aren't adjusted properly. I would take it back ASAP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts