Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Yaris HB
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Began hearing the bearing failure grind noise from the right front lower area of my Tundra.
We're traveling this weekend, and I thought we should have it looked at while we were in Salem, OR
Sure enough, the alternator bearing was giving up the ghost.
Capitol Toyota had one and now, it's in my truck!
We arrived at 1:30pm and we're on our way with a new alternator and washed truck at 5:00pm!

So......had I not bought the Platinum Warranty when I purchased my truck, this little adventure would have cost $1,265.77
With the Platinum Warranty, my cost: $0

However......should you not have the warranty.....Amazon . com has the alternator for $153.22 (and Prime free shipping) and a cheap set of tools (if you don't carry any) and you could do this yourself for under $200 "on the road".....

Now.....I love my Tundra, and it's just one of the five (5) Toyotas I currently own......but my '08 Yaris has 240,000 miles and NOTHING has failed on that amazing car!

Dave

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here’s one even better and you’ll get a better job in the end. Take it off yourself and take it down to any local DC motor rebuild shop. Theyll overhaul that thing and hand it back to you for less than $100. That way when you get it back you’ll know any of the wear items inside that are heavily used are going to be replaced un like when you Buy a rebuilt that went through a factory and all they did was throw in parts that are fully out of spec and leave the rest!
Don’t bother asking me how I know that. I haven’t replaced a starter or alternator since the 1980s and I’ve driven mostly old cars. I also never paid over $75 and that includes Marine stuff, Just sayin.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
Began hearing the bearing failure grind noise from the right front lower area of my Tundra.
We're traveling this weekend, and I thought we should have it looked at while we were in Salem, OR
Sure enough, the alternator bearing was giving up the ghost.
Capitol Toyota had one and now, it's in my truck!
We arrived at 1:30pm and we're on our way with a new alternator and washed truck at 5:00pm!

So......had I not bought the Platinum Warranty when I purchased my truck, this little adventure would have cost $1,265.77
With the Platinum Warranty, my cost: $0

However......should you not have the warranty.....Amazon . com has the alternator for $153.22 (and Prime free shipping) and a cheap set of tools (if you don't carry any) and you could do this yourself for under $200 "on the road".....

Now.....I love my Tundra, and it's just one of the five (5) Toyotas I currently own......but my '08 Yaris has 240,000 miles and NOTHING has failed on that amazing car!

Dave
It's always going to be a different situation with different luck. Manufacturing of components are done in the same fashion and can still yield different results. It could have to do with where the alternator is placed, how much tension is on it versus your yaris. Some belts are routed very sharply in a different direction after going around the pulley. If that's the case it can place more tension on the bearing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Rebuilding the original at a local DC motor shop would be <$100. Do that if one dies near home. I’d Also check to see if the belt tensioner is free and moving, not binding. One of those gone bad can pooch your alt, power steering pump and water pump all in short order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts