Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Corolla GT-S
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am thinking on upping my rim size on my GTS. I found some nice 16" Konig rims with 205/45/16 tires. I was wondering if anyone has rims like this on their car and if it made a positive or negative difference? I can imagine that the handling will be better due to the low profile tires, but I am worried about the acceleration. Does anyone have advice for me before I buy these tires?
Thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
hey
your acceleration won't be affected that much if you have lightweight rims you probably will get better response from lightweights. obviously with heavier rims they will be harder for the engine to spin therefore decreasing your acceleration.

·
Registered
1986 Corolla GT-S
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I didn't think it would be too much, but I am just wondering if its noticeable. Have you put 16" rims on an AE92 before? I am not sure if they are lightweight, but they are aluminum and appear to be rather slim and small. I have not seen them in person yet to know if they are heavier then the stock ones, but I don't see them as being heavier.

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
I had 17's before. It lasted me only 10 miles before I decided to take them back off. Acceleration lagged a lot. All I heard was the engine revving high going nowhere. 15x7 wheels with a 38+ offset is the best bet paired with 205/50/15 or 195/55/15 tires. I believe those are the best tires for that size.

·
1990 Corolla GTS 4A-GE
1990 Corolla GTS
458 Posts
I have 195/50/15 rims on mine, with +35 offset. Fits perfect, no rubbing, and is the correct tire size for a 15.

I'm curious as well about 16s and how well they fit. As far as I know it shouldn't be any problem, but most of the Konigs are +40 offset which might be too much for your rears to clear unless you use skinnier tires, or spacers. And I believe you would want 205/40/16 for being closest to stock height to keep speedometer correct. Also 195/45/16 should work as well for better clearance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts