Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Camry LE V6
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picke dup a nice set of 16" rims. I'm looking at 205/50/16 tires for them. I also plan on chopping off 1 coil from each spring.
I just wanted to make sure there will be no issues with this combo before I go through with it.
I'll post pics here this weekend since I haven't yet.
Thanks in advance.
-Todd

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
everything should be ok

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,886 Posts
What's the offset and width of the wheels? I assume they are 5x100 bolt pattern and you will be using the correct centering rings?

-Charlie

·
Registered
90 Camry LE V6
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are 5x100 16x6.5" from a Chrysler Sebring

I picked up a set of 4 off Craigslist for $125 and they are like new.

I did a test fit (without a tire) when I replaced the pass side steering rack bushing. The wheel fit fine, I did notice that it was hubcentric (it is tapered on the hub side) and the steel wheels currently on the car are not.
It came with the lug nuts that are conical & if I'm not mistaken will center the wheel without the hubcentric adapter.
I'm not sure of the offset, but I saw no clearance issues.
-Todd

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sebring? I thought you were talking about the LHS mesh wheels haha

I've always wondered if the Jeep Grand Cherokee wheels would fit our cars:

·
日産自動車パ&#
2004 Nissan Maxima
553 Posts
Does chopping the springs actually work? Im getting rid of my car in June, but if its possible to lower it for no expense i might as well do this.

·
Toyota. Possibilities.
Camry, Corolla
189 Posts
i'm keen to see this finished too. i must say, it'd be really good to see what wheels other people have gotten away with on their gen 2's from other models/manufacturers. is there a list somewhere with wheels that will definitely fit? including the tyre sizes to suit? it'd be interesting.

·
Registered
90 Camry LE V6
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been searching for wheels ever since I got the car last spring. I did a lot of reasearch online on what cars have a 5x100 bolt pattern since most of the aftermarket rims were too 'racy' for a sedan.
I really wanted a simple 5-spoke, but all the options I found were either too expensive or a knock-off 3-piece design that would look great on a coupe, but not the Camry.

The wheels I really wanted were from a Dodge Avenger.

But obviously not in white. I hoped to find a set at the local Pick-N-Pull, but haven't had any luck so far. Had I found a set, I would have refinished them in gunmetal with the polished lip.

These guys have a big gallery of stock wheels and most of the Dodge/Chrysler models are 5x100.

http://www.wheelcollision.com

I thought about the mesh wheels pictured above (Jeep), but felt they would be too much work to keep clean. I don't know what pads are on the front of my car, but they dust up pretty bad. The other mesh wheels I considered were from a Cavalier.

I'm probably going to pick up some tires this weekend. As for cutting the springs, the Volvo guys I hang out with do it all the time with no problems. Most of them are lopping off 2 coils. My buddy Vince is good enough to do it while the struts are still on the car.

My 89 Volvo 740 16 Valve I was driving last summer had 1 coil cut all the way around with Bilstein HD's, 24mm front swaybar & dual stock rear sway bars. It handled really well with the weak point being tire size (195/60/15) and Yokohama AVS-ES100's. If you thought finding 5x100 wheels was bad, try owning a Volvo (5x108). I wound up selling the car recently so my wife & I could get the S2000.

I am probably going to chop 1 coil with the struts on the car & a reciprocating saw with a good blade. The suspension is only 2 years old at the most & I just had an alignment done about 3 weeks ago.

I'll do a write-up with pics when I decide to tackle it.

I'm just eager to get rid of the steelies & stock caps.
The stereo is done and the only other things I want to do are get the windows tinted, pick up a set of black power mirrors instead of the silver (car is silver & I think it will look better with the tint & the black b-pillars), and install a set of Hella driving lights (550 - see below) to mount under the front bumper.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,886 Posts
They are 5x100 16x6.5" from a Chrysler Sebring

I did a test fit (without a tire) when I replaced the pass side steering rack bushing. The wheel fit fine, I did notice that it was hubcentric (it is tapered on the hub side) and the steel wheels currently on the car are not.
It came with the lug nuts that are conical & if I'm not mistaken will center the wheel without the hubcentric adapter.
I'm not sure of the offset, but I saw no clearance issues.
-Todd
I think you are backwards on the terms there...

The stock steel wheels are hubcentric. The Sebring wheels are also hubcentric (but to a 57mm hub bore instead of the Camry 54.1mm hub bore)

There is a chance you will be ok centering on the lugs, but there is a good chance you wiill get some vibration. I had bad luck on my WRX with some aftermarket wheels until I got hubrings for them.

With the small difference in hub size, you will have trouble finding rings that will fit... (it would only be 1.5mm thick around the circle)

-Charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts