Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
04 Camry
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. Need your help again.

I have an 04 Camry 2.4L. It came with 15" wheels from factory. I have been looking to going to 17". In fact a friend has a set of wheels that came off his Scion. He's checking into the bolt pattern, but I think they will fit.

What differences will I notice going to 17? How much will it affect my speedometer? The 04 Camrys came with 15 or 16, so I know the 16 won't change it. Also, I have heard people say that if I went to 17" and I had a blow out I had a greater risk of having a wreck. What are yall's thoughts?

I know that if I change to 17 I will have to change my spare too.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
camry
928 Posts
well first of all the wheel on the tc will not fit your camry they are 5x100 i think while the camrys are 5x114.3. As for going with 17s it shouldnt be bad of a ride, wheel gap will probably increase and go here to help you with the tire size http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html. There are quite a few guys here that have 17s you should search. My current tires are 235/40/18. My stock tires were 215/60/16s so my speedometer reads 60mph its actual speed will be 58.3mph 2.8% slower. Its best to stay under 3%.

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
^you're correct. Scion tc is 5x100. so they will not fit. 17's shouldn't be bad at all. In fact my 18's are running pretty decent as far as rdie quality goes. YOu will notice a diference but nothign too dramatic

·
Registered
830 Posts
Here's a little help. I have 17's on my car, as you can see from my signature. If you'd like, you can go to www.wheelmax.com. They're like tirerack.com but i like wheelmax better. I got a nice set of 17" exel wheels with 4 low pro Hankook tires, with tha 1 yr road hazard warranty on the wheels and the tires for 987$ total. That included shipping. They're good people and easy to deal with. Their webite is even easier to navigate. You can put in your type of car, and save it for later use. And it does all the measuring for you. You can sort by the type and size of the wheel, including finish and brand. After you select those, then you can shop for tires and it gives you the tires they have in stock that will fit on those wheels. Its a really selfexplanatory site, and I like it. Matter of fact I'm planning on getting a new set of 17's they have that are wrapped in carbon fiber. O, and the tires and wheels you see on the site also have the measurements with them in case your curious. But they are all exact fit.

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
2,294 Posts
Aceventura9586 said:
Here's a little help. I have 17's on my car, as you can see from my signature. If you'd like, you can go to www.wheelmax.com. They're like tirerack.com but i like wheelmax better. I got a nice set of 17" exel wheels with 4 low pro Hankook tires, with tha 1 yr road hazard warranty on the wheels and the tires for 987$ total. That included shipping. They're good people and easy to deal with. Their webite is even easier to navigate. You can put in your type of car, and save it for later use. And it does all the measuring for you. You can sort by the type and size of the wheel, including finish and brand. After you select those, then you can shop for tires and it gives you the tires they have in stock that will fit on those wheels. Its a really selfexplanatory site, and I like it. Matter of fact I'm planning on getting a new set of 17's they have that are wrapped in carbon fiber. O, and the tires and wheels you see on the site also have the measurements with them in case your curious. But they are all exact fit.

I got my wheels and tires from wheelmax.com and they shipped them out fast. You can even call them and ask questions if you have any.

·
Registered
830 Posts
yea man. they're pretty kickass. I did have a problem though when I sent them back for warranty replacement. Cuz the state maintenace sux and a pothole took out my wheel and tire one night. i wanna do this to our county council :hammer:

but i actually got hooked up with the customer service mgr. named Dale. He helped me all the way through, and actually cut the shipping in half cuz it took so long. Good people there. Only problem is their warranty guy apparently is really lazy. But other than that they're great!

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
2,294 Posts
Aceventura9586 said:
yea man. they're pretty kickass. I did have a problem though when I sent them back for warranty replacement. Cuz the state maintenace sux and a pothole took out my wheel and tire one night. i wanna do this to our county council :hammer:

but i actually got hooked up with the customer service mgr. named Dale. He helped me all the way through, and actually cut the shipping in half cuz it took so long. Good people there. Only problem is their warranty guy apparently is really lazy. But other than that they're great!
Potholes in MD suck.:sosad:

·
Registered
830 Posts
yea cali roads are the bomb. they kno their shit out there. they have to cuz of their heavy volume of traffic 24/7. plus the higher speeds they got. last time i was out there, i had a chrysler 300C as my rental. it was glorious. like driving on butter. helped with those socal ladies too!

·
Registered
camry
928 Posts
Aceventura9586 said:
yea cali roads are the bomb. they kno their shit out there. they have to cuz of their heavy volume of traffic 24/7. plus the higher speeds they got. last time i was out there, i had a chrysler 300C as my rental. it was glorious. like driving on butter. helped with those socal ladies too!

yeah our traffic is pretty whack haha, ahh yes the socal ladies :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
michellelee69 said:
Ok guys. Need your help again.
What differences will I notice going to 17? How much will it affect my speedometer? The 04 Camrys came with 15 or 16, so I know the 16 won't change it. Also, I have heard people say that if I went to 17" and I had a blow out I had a greater risk of having a wreck. What are yall's thoughts?

I know that if I change to 17 I will have to change my spare too.

Any input is appreciated.
well, if u change ur wheel size to 17" or wutever, ur local tires/wheels shop shuld be able to give u a new tire size that will be close to the overall diameter of ur OEM setup. u wanna keep the overall diam. the same as OEM, or else the speedometer and odometer will be affected.

u can keep the OEM spare tire. since ur tryin to match new wheels/tires size to OEM, then thers no need to change the spare.

one more thing, going with a bigger wheel size means getting a lower profile tire. traction will increase a bit, but so will road noise, unfortunately.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've got 17's on my car. Depending on the wheel you get, sometimes it looks just right. Its funny that the different finishes give the illusion of being bigger. Mine feel great. There's a little more road noise but not anything that's unbearable. Cuz the Camry's a pretty well sealed car anyway. On the note of blowouts. As you saw I had a pothole incident. That's been 2x so far. I was goin about 60 on the one pothole. I never even lost control. The tire just blew and went flat. Never struggled for control or anything. It didnt like turning that much, which is to be understood, but nothing devastating.

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
17's are a good size will look better if you lower the car too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts