Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello......my '96 Tacoma V6 5sp 4wd Ext Cab has approx 273,000 km's (170,000 miles) on the odometer, mostly highway and paved roads. It still runs well......clutch, tranny, 4wd, etc is all tight & works well. It's been well serviced.

My question is: In a few weeks my job will require me to start driving about 2 hrs per day (hour to, hour from work), say 130 miles total, but all highway. With the high odometer reading, is their anything I should be worried about as far as potential problems?

Also I notice the past few months it's starting harder after it's been parked all day, seems to whirl another 3 seconds or so more before it finaly starts. Simple tune-up needed?

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
I guess it depends on what you've done to your engine and clutch up to this point in terms of maintenance and replacement parts. Is the clutch still the original? If so, it could be fairly worn. Head gaskets ever been replaced? Hoses (coolant) and belts been updated/replaced?

Hard starts could just be a product of the cold weather. Does it continue to run rough, or get better when it warms? You could try a fuel system cleaner, or a tune up like you say.

I'd feel safer in a Toyota than just about any other car at that milege level.

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
I should also say congrats on reaching 273,000kms - that's sweet!!! I sold my first 4Runner (92) with 135,000 miles, and it was still solid. I wish I still had it.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
High milage

- Timing belt has been replaced twice, last time about 30,000 miles ago.

- Clutch has never been replaced. Still seems to have good pedal to it, no fluid leaks or anything. Tranny still shifts smooth.

- Head gasket has never been replaced.

The only thing i've ever had to do with it......replace the fan clutch, replace a layer in a leaf spring, replace a rear end seal, replace an emergency brake cable. Other than that, just normal wear & tear stuff like breaks, shocks, etc & that was sparingly. Most of it's current milage is highway.

The old girl seems to just want to keep rolling along, but i'm sure something's got to be due...!

·
Registered
435 Posts
If its your only vehicle I think I would go ahead and put a clutch in it.That way it dosent go out at the worst time.After the clutch I would lean toward a new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder.They are not that expensive.It will start leaking into the floor board sometimes and make a mess.Im glad your having luck with yours.At just 22.000 miles I think the timing belt tensioner are going bad on my 3.4.I took all the belts off and it still makes a strange noise coming from the timing cover.Im glad I got the ext warranty.Its an 02.Its aso got clatter in the steering column.I have narrowed that down to one of the steering joints right before it gose thru the fire wall.Use to you could drive them off the lot and never take them back to the dealer for anything.Oh well.Have a good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts