Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 05 corolla and i was thinkin of gettin 18's or 19's (gun metal or chrome). my friend recommends me to get only 17's cuz if i get 18's then i will notice a big difference in my ride and handling and it will not be good for long distance trips .(which i do every now and then).. ... should i listen to my friend or just go ahead and get the 18's. i had my car almost 4 months and i already have 5900 miles.

Thanks.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
for a corolla, I'd agree with your friend....get some 17's...they'll look pretty big on the car, and should still leave you with enough rubber for a ride that's not too stupid

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
if u want ur car to be even slower...get 18s or 19s....and u'll definitely lose some ride comfort.....i'd go with 17s on a corolla unless u have to have the bling.....

·
Tabarnak chu où?
94 Posts
Go with 17"

With anything bigger you'll have no ride comfort and the handling will not be good.

To have better handling you would need tires wider than what can fit under the Corolla!

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
17s for sure. And chrome wheels are heavy as hell... don't think its a good idea to get chrome on a corolla.

What rims do you have in mind?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the responses. .. . i didnt know ONE inch of a tire size can make a big difference. i want it to be for performance (fast and gas efficent and look nice) so im not getin chrome now. and i dont think im gonna low it. its too expensive. $700 for TRD springs installed. (i dont want to get anything else on springs, just TRD's) for only 1 inch!?!?

kasimmmmm said:
17s for sure. And chrome wheels are heavy as hell... don't think its a good idea to get chrome on a corolla.

What rims do you have in mind?
now im thinking gun metal rims. black on the inside with a silver outline ... are those heavy??

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
700 bucks for a set of trd springs installed....that sounds like a rip off....especially in USD....i hope u realize that TRD springs are most likely just Eibachs that are just rebadged as a TRD product....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the $700 est came from my local toyota dealer. i bought my toyota from a dealer 100 miles away...maybe i should call them for an estimate.

·
^
4,197 Posts
anewfoundsin said:
thanks for the responses. .. . i didnt know ONE inch of a tire size can make a big difference. i want it to be for performance (fast and gas efficent and look nice) so im not getin chrome now. and i dont think im gonna low it. its too expensive. $700 for TRD springs installed. (i dont want to get anything else on springs, just TRD's) for only 1 inch!?!?

now im thinking gun metal rims. black on the inside with a silver outline ... are those heavy??

1 inch does make quite a bit of difference, especially since most of the added weight is on the outer area of the wheel. Weight actually multiplies when its spinning, and the further out from the pivot point you move it, the more it multiplies. A good rule of thumb for wheels is 1lb for every inch of diameter, so look for wheels that around 17lbs each for a nice balance between price and decent performance. The 2ZZ isn't exactly a torquey engine, don't make its life harder by trying to spin some heavy ass chromies.

TRD springs aren't necessarily the best, and imo definately aren't worth $700. For a little more you could get some GC sleeves and good struts.

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
What about the avy?

I have the same question reguarding my Avalon
previous post here

But with my Avalon, I know my car is not fast, and I have come to live with that the way it is, but would I see a HUGE decrease in ride performance? If so, in what areas? I am guessing acceleration and some cornering...but if you replace springs and shocks, wont that almost "off set" the reduction in ride quality from wheels?

Thanks.

·
^
4,197 Posts
Well since you've got more torque and heavier rims to start with, chrome 18's wouldn't make much of a difference, you may notice a slight difference in braking.

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
Yeah, forgot to mention that I would be replacing braking system with slotten rotors and new brake pads.

If I did all that, would it compensate for the performance loss?

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
like everyone eles is saying... go 17's.. i think that will go right with a corolla , heck i think i'm getting 17's soon as well and camry's are bigger as well.... but i dont want my ride + handling to degrade... so 17's are good to go :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts