Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
TN の がしょう
7,388 Posts
Given that the OP would be buying the Lexus and Infiniti used, part of the depreciation hit would have already been taken by the first owner. If you were to sell a 2018 Camry, 2015 ES, or 2016 Q50 one year from now, which would be furthest away from the $26K purchase price? It might not be the luxury cars.

I had a Q50 as rental. It drove well and I liked the Bose audio, but I really wasn't too keen on the 2-screen infotainment interface.
You can find low mileage Infiniti Q50S or Lexus GS350 F Sport for less than $33k in Carmax. Low mileage to me is below 15k miles. I've found several here in SoCal that were selling 2016/2017 Infiniti Q50S for less than $35k with 10k miles or less. That's a good deal considering they're over $45k for brand new.

Same for the Lexus GS 350F Sport, I've found several 2015-2017 in Carmax with less than 15k miles going for $35k or less.

If you know where to look, you can find luxury sport cars that you want that is practically new and affordable.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Traded my 3.5 V6 2008 with 55 k miles and perfect, for an LE 2.5 3 days ago..
What am I doing !

But now I am happy. The 2.5 Le does handle like a sports car compared to the 2008 V6..first time I have smiled in a corner (Driving a car) since 2004... My bike is a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS and that's fun too.

It is quiet and confident and not even a Camry..get the hood up and look..its is a totally different car just badged Camry

I have been rooting about in it with a flashlight for 6 hours and I LIKE it more and more... It isn't really a Camry though.. It beats Ford fusion turbo on EVERY measure... That is roughly finished and thirsty and jerky. Now I have my data stick with 900 tunes working via the entune, and I have everything I need..

Glad I didn't get a V6 although I can afford one ...this is so light and it handles...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi All!

I will be in the market for a new (or new to me) car by the end of the year. Need your opinions so I can prepare myself better.

Background - I am a Toyota guy. All my immediate family members have a Toyota/Lexus. I am currently driving a 2000 Lexus ES300 (a cousin of the Camry :) )

Here are my options for ~$26k excluding tax.
1. 2018 Camry SE/XSE I4 - I like this due to: safety features, my first true NEW car, resale value, warranty, low insurance premium, low profile (for getting tickets :) ), reliability.
2. 2015 Lexus ES350 - I like this due to luxury features, performance, brand image :), most things are standard on a Lexus. Dislike - 20% higher ins premium, very difficult to find used one with safety features that are standard on the 18 Camry, low MPG (I know, it is a trade off for a V6).
3. 2016 Infiniti Q50 3.0t premium - It is my dream car - RWD, 300+ WHP, sport sedan class. However, it is going to cost more in the long term: twin turbo reliability, resale value, 30% more ins premium that the 18 Camry, high profile for getting a ticket - road rage - vandalize. Difficult to resale.

I am good with most DIY and very familiar with Toyota repairs. Will never consider a Honda product due to their corporate's ethical practice.

My concerns are : safety, reliability, economical (long term cost). Being in insurance field, I got to see many horrific accidents. ES350 and Q50 are among the safest sedan. Think of a 2015 Q50 T-bone a 2016 F150 crew cab at 50mph and fold it into a V shape -> no compartment intrusion for the Q50. The front windshield did not even crack.
I had the same three cars in my review (was edging towards the Q50 Red Sport) as well as the Audi S5.

For all the reasons you mention, the insurance premiums was a major decision point iving in the Philly Metro area. They were considerably higher no matter how I cut it. Factor in the amenities and the fact that Lexus charges a premium for Enform when its the same system as Entune, and all the technology that comes with the Camry, and that maintenance for Audi is ridiculously high, I now own an XSE V6 :wink:....

·
Registered
3 Posts
not bad idea to compared for used GS with Camry 18, if you consider buy new then GS 17 is last year in production rumors from Lexus that GS will be replace by LS with V6 Turbo start from 2018....

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,451 Posts
not bad idea to compared for used GS with Camry 18, if you consider buy new then GS 17 is last year in production rumors from Lexus that GS will be replace by LS with V6 Turbo start from 2018....
The GS will be replaced by a new GS based on the TNGA or most likely the ES and GS will be combined and replaced by the new model that "theoretically" should cover both classes in which the ES and GS are currently playing, something like Acura done with the TSX and TL and replaced them with TLX. Rumor has it that the twin turbo V6 will be optional, the base one will be the current 2.0t, but Toyota also work on the new (or modernized) 5.0 V8 for the LS-F and GS-F or the car that gonna replace the GS.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Interesting review of the '18 Camry XSE vs. '17 Lexus ES350. The reviewer prefers the Camry. I suppose if you got the extra $$$, still cannot go wrong with Lexus.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

"The kicker for me is that even though the $49,210 ES 350 I tested was some $10,000 more than the Camry, I still prefer the 2018 Camry, and that would be true even if the prices were the same. Its sharper driving dynamics, near-luxury interior and available convenience features would get my pick."

https://www.cars.com/articles/toyota-camry-xse-vs-lexus-es-is-the-luxury-nameplate-necessary-1420697091739/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wow!

Thank you for all the advises here. Apparently, I am alone (and weird) when considering different classes of cars. The GS is out of question, it never grew on me.

I will wait until the crash test results out, hopefully by December to decide. Plus, there should be better incentives as well due the Accord should be out by then.

Back when I got my ES300, the Camry and G35 were the alternatives as well. Picked the ES300 due to its price vs standard equipments: HID, auto-dimming mirrors, CD changers, powered seats, memory seat, more power that a Camry V6 and most importantly, same basically 90% parts with Camry -> low maintenance cost.

Now in 2018, the higher up Camry is better equipped than it ES cousin.

I like the look of the 18 but something is off
, similar to those wanna be ricer Civics :)

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
I am tired of FWD after 35 years of owning them.
35 years...I'm surprised you lasted that long...glad you came around.
Low cost, and simplicity of assembly aside, despite looking, I can't find any benefits to it.
I sometimes wonder how well the Mark X would do if we got it here in the US market.
All the same merits of a Camry, with a proper drivetrain configuration - though seems like it might infringe on Lexus a bit.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You can find low mileage Infiniti Q50S or Lexus GS350 F Sport for less than $33k in Carmax. Low mileage to me is below 15k miles. I've found several here in SoCal that were selling 2016/2017 Infiniti Q50S for less than $35k with 10k miles or less. That's a good deal considering they're over $45k for brand new.

Keep in mind, CarMax is a bit on the high side when it comes to pricing. There are many deals to be had for used cars, you just need to look.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,451 Posts
35 years...I'm surprised you lasted that long...glad you came around.
Low cost, and simplicity of assembly aside, despite looking, I can't find any benefits to it.
I sometimes wonder how well the Mark X would do if we got it here in the US market.
All the same merits of a Camry, with a proper drivetrain configuration - though seems like it might infringe on Lexus a bit.
The Mark X is a bit smaller outside, but noticeably smaller interior wise, similar to how the ES and GS are similar in exterior dimensions, but different in usable interior space. Due to its higher complexity and transportation cost the Mark X wouldn't be cheap ans wont sell well.
I had a 325 and drove and drive RWD cars time to time and understand the deference and benefits, but for everyday driving, even in "no winter TX" I still prefer FWD.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts