Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Toyota Traitor
20’ Tacoma TRD Sport DC, 17’ MDX Elite SH-AWD, 13’ Accord Touring
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a deal on 18" Lexus LS460 rims. I need to know if they will fit on my 08' Highlander?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I found a deal on 18" Lexus LS460 rims. I need to know if they will fit on my 08' Highlander?
I suspect they will, but check this site for bolt pattern, centre bore size and offset.

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm

Your HL has a 5 x4.5 (also 5x114.3) bolt pattern, wheel offset is +35, and bore is 60.1. If the bore of the Lexus wheel is bigger and that is the only diff, then you can get hub rings to fill the gap and ensure that your wheels are perfectly centered when mounted so as to avoid vibration. (strongly recommended!!) I picked up 4 at a local wheel and tire shop for $20.

If the offset is higher (ie. +45 or higher), then be careful, 'cause there is very little clearance between the stock tire and rear strut as it is. Higher positive offset means the wheel is deeper into the wheel well, and closer to the strut. You can compensate the offset with a set of good quality BOLT-ON wheel spacers. I added 15 mm Ichiba spacers to my 09 HL.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

·
Toyota Traitor
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I suspect they will, but check this site for bolt pattern, centre bore size and offset.

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm

Your HL has a 5 x4.5 (also 5x114.3) bolt pattern, wheel offset is +35, and bore is 60.1. If the bore of the Lexus wheel is bigger and that is the only diff, then you can get hub rings to fill the gap and ensure that your wheels are perfectly centered when mounted so as to avoid vibration. (strongly recommended!!) I picked up 4 at a local wheel and tire shop for $20.

If the offset is higher (ie. +45 or higher), then be careful, 'cause there is very little clearance between the stock tire and rear strut as it is. Higher positive offset means the wheel is deeper into the wheel well, and closer to the strut. You can compensate the offset with a set of good quality BOLT-ON wheel spacers. I added 15 mm Ichiba spacers to my 09 HL.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Bolt Pattern:5 x 4.50 or 5 x 114.3
Width:7.5J
Diameter:18 inches

(not the actual car, but the rims are that style)

·
Registered
684 Posts
According to that link I gave you, it seems most lexus have bore size of 60.1 so that shouldn't be an issue.

Only outstanding question is offset. Without knowing for sure, best way is to test fit, unless you can ask the person selling to look for a # stamped on the back of the wheel, usually on the back of one of the spokes, that looks like an OF +30, +35, +40 etc...or something like that. Like I said, if they are are +35 or lower, then you should be good to go! Any higher, then risk rubbing, and plus, I find the look kind of cheesy when the wheels are so far inset. I prefer the more aggressive stance of having the wheels pushed out to the corners.

That said, I would not go with a wheel that is any lower than +20 with the HL, else your risk the tire potentially clipping the inside of the fender under heavy load or compression of the suspension. Don't think these wheels will be anywhere near a +20 though.

Cheers.

·
Toyota Traitor
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to that link I gave you, it seems most lexus have bore size of 60.1 so that shouldn't be an issue.

Only outstanding question is offset. Without knowing for sure, best way is to test fit, unless you can ask the person selling to look for a # stamped on the back of the wheel, usually on the back of one of the spokes, that looks like an OF +30, +35, +40 etc...or something like that. Like I said, if they are are +35 or lower, then you should be good to go! Any higher, then risk rubbing, and plus, I find the look kind of cheesy when the wheels are so far inset. I prefer the more aggressive stance of having the wheels pushed out to the corners.

That said, I would not go with a wheel that is any lower than +20 with the HL, else your risk the tire potentially clipping the inside of the fender under heavy load or compression of the suspension. Don't think these wheels will be anywhere near a +20 though.

Cheers.
They offset is +32.. so they'll work?

·
Registered
684 Posts
They offset is +32.. so they'll work?
They will! Stock is +35 so those wheels will stick out 3 mm more than stock.

If I were in your situation though, I would want to be absolutely comfortable that the bore size (centre hole) is 60.1 mmbefore putting my cash down....even if it means bringing a ruler to measure yourself.

·
Toyota Traitor
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WhitBoy are you in luck!! ;->
I just bought a new LS460 Monday and was wondering if some Miglia wheels I had would fit. So after seeing your post decided this would be a good time to find out. They won't. The LS has the same big-assed front calipers my '06 GS430 had.

Anyway, while I had the wheel off my digital caliper says the hub is 60.05 mm in diameter. So I guess that means the wheels probably have the same 61 mm holes most of the Lexi have.

Good luck!

Whit
Would that fit? or does the .05 mm matter?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ninety Nine percent of all vehicles out in the world today utilze a "hub centric" rim. What that means is that when your tire/wheel combination is being balanced by a tire shop, they utilize a balance machine that relies on the hub of the rim to be a "true centering" aid. In other words, the center hole of the rim is what the tire shop uses to base the tire/wheel combination balance on.

Some Toyota rims are "bolt centric" or "lug centric", which means that the tire/wheel combination must be centered on the lugs, and not the center hub. An example of this is the factory 19" wheel on my 09 Sport (Canadian), which is lug centric and uses shouldered lugs, not tapered lugs.

To properly balance a lug centric tire/wheel, shops must use a combination of a Hunter tire balance machine and a Haweka adapter. There are various TSBs about this issue. Please ask your dealership or your tire service center if they have the equipment. It has been reported that many Toyota dealers do not. If you have tire work done at a Toyota dealership, ask to see the actual lug centric converter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
question

Ninety Nine percent of all vehicles out in the world today utilze a "hub centric" rim. What that means is that when your tire/wheel combination is being balanced by a tire shop, they utilize a balance machine that relies on the hub of the rim to be a "true centering" aid. In other words, the center hole of the rim is what the tire shop uses to base the tire/wheel combination balance on.

Some Toyota rims are "bolt centric" or "lug centric", which means that the tire/wheel combination must be centered on the lugs, and not the center hub. An example of this is the factory 19" wheel on my 09 Sport (Canadian), which is lug centric and uses shouldered lugs, not tapered lugs.

To properly balance a lug centric tire/wheel, shops must use a combination of a Hunter tire balance machine and a Haweka adapter. There are various TSBs about this issue. Please ask your dealership or your tire service center if they have the equipment. It has been reported that many Toyota dealers do not. If you have tire work done at a Toyota dealership, ask to see the actual lug centric converter.
So for aftermarket wheels, they are mostly hub centric if they have tapered lugs?

Why does toyota do this? :confused:

·
Registered
117 Posts
A lot of aftermarket rims are lug centric. The bore diameter will be larger than the bore on your car because the wheel will fit more car manufacturers that way. A few wheel makers eg. Rennen will drill your specific bolt pattern into a wheel blank for you, and they center the drill on the wheel bore, so that makes it a hub centric wheel. Confusing?
The wheel bore on my 09 HL Sport "factory" rims is larger than the 60.1mm previously stated in various threads. The wheel rests on the lug shoulders to get centered. Even though the wheels are "factory", I highly doubt Toyota "made" the wheel.
But I would bet the wheel on the base model is hub centric, and fits snugly on the hubs. If an TN member with a base could clarify this, it would be appreciated.
But in the long run, I wouldn't really worry about hub/lug centric. Just use the right nuts and it won't make much of a difference. As long as your torque them properly and have enough clearance, enjoy how they look!

·
Registered
684 Posts
But in the long run, I wouldn't really worry about hub/lug centric. Just use the right nuts and it won't make much of a difference. As long as your torque them properly and have enough clearance, enjoy how they look!
to_fire, great info, and I agree with most of what you said, except I would be cautious of your last stmt. I certainly don't tout myself as an expert, but did quite a bit of research and spoke to a few specialty wheel and tire shops over the last couple of months. Based on my research, I think it IS important to understand whether a wheel is hub or lug centric, because if lug centric, as you say, it is important to use the proper nuts that fit snugly in the lug hole...otherwise, the lugs will not properly center the wheel. However, if a wheel uses a conical seated nut, chances are its hub centric, therefore, requiring hub rings to fill the gap and to ensure the wheel is perfectly centered, thus avoiding vibration. And just to clarify for others, the hub rings don't provide any support whatsoever to keeping the wheel centered once the lug nuts are tightened...they simply keep the wheel centered while the lugs are tightened to spec. Once tightened, the studs and nuts hold everything in place.

Just wanted to throw that in for anyone coming into this thread cold.

Cheers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Luck, great clarification!
When I stated "don't worry about hub/lug centric", I meant don't let it deter you from buying the wheel if you like it. As you stated, just make sure you use the right nuts and/or rings and torque setting.
My factory sport 19" wheels didn't come with rings, and they're a major PITA to get centered so the lugs will thread! lol

·
Registered
684 Posts
When I stated "don't worry about hub/lug centric", I meant don't let it deter you from buying the wheel if you like it. As you stated, just make sure you use the right nuts and/or rings and torque setting.
My factory sport 19" wheels didn't come with rings, and they're a major PITA to get centered so the lugs will thread! lol
to_fire, ah, sorry, did not read it that way.

Got a question for you though since you seem rather knowledgeable on this subject. Drove my new '09 HL for the 2nd time at speeds of 60-70 mph since installing some bolt on Ichiba wheel spacers.

http://www.ichibausa.com/15albowhsp10.html

They come with an insert so they centre off the hub, and also extend the hub of same diameter for wheels that are hub centric. Anyway, first time I drove right after install, all was good. Then yesterday, I was getting vibration in the body and steering at those highway speeds, and vibration was on for approx 1 mile, than no vibration for approx 1 mile....consistently alternating while maintaining those speeds. Appreciate your thoughts on whether the culprits are my spacers or something else.

I started a thread on this at the link below....if you have any thoughts, would appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296253

·
Toyota Traitor
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to use them as winter wheels, anything is better than steel wheels or rav-4 wheels. I figured that steel wheels would be about $80 to $100 each and the 4 ls rims are only $400 so why not..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ax, that's a great price for an awesome set of rims. Just make sure you get the right lugs (conical or shouldered), and a set of locks, and enjoy!

·
Toyota Traitor
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ax, that's a great price for an awesome set of rims. Just make sure you get the right lugs (conical or shouldered), and a set of locks, and enjoy!
I kept the locks from my old Highlander ;)

·
Toyota Traitor
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got them! They were in good shape, for $400 I couldn't go wrong. They have less than 500 miles on them and 3 out of 4 are in new condition, and only 1 has a minor chip on the lip and a minor scuff on one of the spokes.

I was at the dealer the other day getting my bug deflector put on so I asked them to put the wheel locks on and program the other remote so I would have 3 working remotes. I also got a quote on 4 Blizzak snow tires, only $1175. I think I paid over $1200 last winter for 4 Blizzak snow tires for my old HL! I should have got a quote on 4 steel wheels, like the Rav-4 ones. I don't mind spending the extra $$$ on something that won't rust looks decent. I'm going to the tire shop to make sure they'll fit. If I have my camera with me I will take some pictures of them on the HL!

·
Registered
10 Chevy Silverado
35 Posts
This should be cool......:cool:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts