Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fuel pump went out 2 weeks ago and left me dead along side of the road. But was lucky, napa was a block away and got an electric Facet Fuel pump (1.5-4 psi)(no mechanical one available),,,,, it got me home,,,, barely! i mounted it on the fender well near the battery but seemed like it was struggling to give the carb fuel. got home and mounted it near the tank on the frame and it wouldnt even start. so, IDK,,, gonna try it again by the battery area again, but i would like the mechanical type, my autozone Spectra Fuel Pump A1355MP gave out after 10 yrs and they are now out of stock. amazon has the Carter M70105 Mechanical Fuel Pump but they are also out of stock, Carquest doesnt have either. saw the Carter M70015 Mechanical Fuel Pump on ebay from seller spark-surplus but they cant guarantee the old-new stock is good still have my old OEM pump but cant find a diaphragm kit for it. any leads on who might have a mechanical pump or Diaphragm kit? Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the leads, i been eye balling this one(see below) and made contact with the seller to ask if it was new-new or new-old stock and if they could give me a certain degree of satisfaction that the diaphragm was still good and not dried up. also i asked them if they sold the diaphragm kits so i could repair my old OEM pump and use it for a spare. got a reply the other day and they said they are gone and would be back next week and would send a response. further digging i found that the reason that may have caused the mech. pump to maybe fail or be under heavy load is the fuel tank strainer may be clogged. i ran a rubber fuel line into a 5 gal gas can and the fuel pressure seemed to increase. any knowledge on what type of in tank fuel strainer these old toyotas used? the outlet is coming from about an inch above the bottom of the tank straight out. it doesnt seem to be attached to the sending unit. i'm thinking of maybe a T style strainer with a 5/16ths ID. i'd like to get a strainer before i go home today and then start removing the sending unit to get to the strainer. i know this is arse backwards but it would be late considering its Saturday and places would start closing up by the time i removed the sending unit to have a look see. its easy to get to the sending unit. Open the trunk lid, fold back the mat and the tank and sending unit is right there.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,180 Posts
This is all I can find for filter/strainer but looking at fuel tank components diagrams there looks to be a sock or strainer on the suction tube in the tank but I could verify the p/n. Make things worse any that part that used filter/strainer/screen/sock/suction tube etc. are all dis-continued of course.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when i got the Corona back in 2011 i pulled that old metal fuel filter off (still have it for reference) and installed a see thru filter. yea, thats right. all that in tank parts are obsolete. did your fuel tank components diagrams at least show a pic of the style of that sock by chance to show what it looks like?

or

or

i'm thinking it may look something like the last pic

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,180 Posts
No they didn't, crappy Toyota crayon scribble, no detail. I was hoping some one had even an old ebay ad or something for a visual. I'll let ya know if I trip over something.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alllll rightty then, so since i was fixed on the fuel pump issue which was pretty obvious to me, things still didnt figure up! i had returned that Facet fuel pump back to napa cause it didnt seem to pump good and got another. well, still cant get it started. So i went back to basics.. what does an ICE need? Source of air,fuel and ignition. found i had no spark going to the plugs, ruled out plugs, cap and rotor... it may be the points but IDK. It was the Remanf. Distributor i got from rockauto 2 months ago! i put my old OEM back on(nothing wrong with it) and she starts right up! i reconnected the mech. fuel pump and theres nothing wrong with it. oh, so i was in the process of removing the tank anyway, drained it to replace the sock and found there is none! 🤣 seems they didnt have a strainer in the tank, only the fuel line going in and stopping about 1/8" before the bottom of the tank. the inside of the tank and sending unt looked brand new! no rust garbage or sediment. Mystery though??? that day i installed the Facet, i barely got home, shut it off, then tried to restart and could never start it again until the other day. so kiddies, lesson learned the strange way. i know to check the easiest first,,, fuses, connections, etc. then its "what did i do last to it"? in this case replaced the distributor. but the empty fuel filter and sputtering lead me to think it was the pump.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,180 Posts
Bottom line, You Won! :cool:
Had a customer come into the shop and complained that his car was over-heating, I asked why he thought that, he said with a straight face "because my spark plugs are hot"
Really tough to be diplomatic in those situations.
It's not always the worse case scenario first. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.