Toyota Nation Forum banner

What condition will the Belvidere be in when they unearth it?

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check this out. http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/23/buried.car.ap/index.html They buried a brand new 1957 Plymouth Belvidere in Tulsa, Oklahoma on their 50th birthday. They are going to dig it up during their Centennial celebrations. Many people believe that it will be a pile of rust while others think it will be in perfect condition. They don't have many details on it but said that "efforts had been taken to preserve it".

What do you think? I doubt it will be in pristine condition but it will probably be in very good, easily restorable condition.

This is my first poll so bear with me if it doesn't work quite right.

BTW, this is a public poll.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
Thats pretty cool, I'd say moisture got to it, although it will be interesting to see.....my cat just buried something also :ugh3:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think it would be interesting to see when this comes up. I can't imaging that it would run though. I think with todays technology, you could do this stunt and it really would come out in great condition, however I would still wonder if it would run or not.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
i thikn it'll largely depend on just what they put it in before sealing it. concrete box? metal?

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
Why didn't they bury something valuable?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
DCM said:
Why didn't they bury something valuable?
for someone who's apparently interested in vehicles, that's an odd comment.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's in a concrete bunker, since they took a couple of steps to make sure it was on jack stands an so forth.

Being 1957, I'm thinking that they probably used Mystery oil in the cylinders, maybe petrolium jelly and possibly even Cosmoline on other parts. If that's the case then I think it will be in pretty nice shape but not mint.

Even if they did nothing, it should be at least all there. Those old vehicles were built out of heavier materials than today. Look at all the old trucks that are still around that were sitting in the back forty on farms for years and years. And this is at least out of the weather. I'll have to find a link to follow the story.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,862 Posts
aside from the gasolene turning into tar and clogging the carb, fuel lines and gas tank (this happened to a 15-year-old abandoned snow blower i got), i think the car should be in pretty good shape, some dry rott aside.

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
falnfenix said:
for someone who's apparently interested in vehicles, that's an odd comment.
I am interested in vehicles; I just think that the Belvedere isn't the nicest car around, when compared to other cars of its class like the Bel-Air. I'm not particularly brand-loyal either. At the time I happen to own a few toyotas, a chev, honda, and a ford truck.

I guess maybe that's just what they had kicking around at the time.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,061 Posts
They put '2007' on that banner as 2,007 .

Hmm, this looks super interesting, It all depends if that little 'box' that it is in didn't crack.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ghettosled said:
aside from the gasolene turning into tar and clogging the carb, fuel lines and gas tank (this happened to a 15-year-old abandoned snow blower i got), i think the car should be in pretty good shape, some dry rott aside.
In the second article, it mentioned that there was a five gallon can of gas in there too. So I am guessing they drained the gas out of the car. Dry rot will be an issue though.

DCM said:
I guess maybe that's just what they had kicking around at the time
This is what was listed in the article 'According to event chairman Lewis Roberts Jr., the Plymouth was chosen because it was "an advanced product of American industrial ingenuity with the kind of lasting appeal that will still be in style 50 years from now."' However, I am sure there was some sponser appeal involved in the decision as well. Or maybe the Chairman's brother-in-law was a Plymouth dealer or something.

Regardless, it is still considered pretty rare and difficult to come by today. Try finding one on EBay. Then try finding a 1957 Chevy Bel Air.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts