Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Sponsored Editorial Content
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Toyota came to the US in 1957, and built their reputation on durable trucks. They did also sell cars, and the top of their line of cars in 1968 was Crown Deluxe, just like this wagon.This generation of the full-sized Crown, codenamed MS50 was around from 1967 to 1971. This particular top of the line model has a 2M, inline six engine that displaces 2.3 liters. With 115HP and 127lb/feet of torque going to the rear wheels, through a four-on-the-floor gearbox this was a rather good way to transport five people around.

It still could be a really good one in fact, especially with this example having only 88,000 miles on it and it comes with original unused Koni shock-absorbers. These deadstock units are apparently meant for this MS53 wagon trim.

With rear-wheel drums, the new owner will have some projects they will want to tackle to make it a bit more modern-road friendly. The interior is complete but the vinyl seats could use some work. The carpets will likely need replacement as well.

The owner has three of the four original hubcaps and says the dash is cracked. The turn signal does not work and there is some rust on the rear quarter panels but it looks fairly minor. The current owner says he drives it on weekends and has all the service manuals. He even has the original 1968 bill of sale.

It is currently in Philadelphia and it did not sell with bidding going to $2,150. Not high enough to meet reserve. These cars do have a small but dedicated community

· Registered
2 Posts
This car was owned by my father, the original owner, from 1968 until he passed away in 2003. I recognized the black tape on the interior and the cracked dash, plus we gave the bill of sale, owner's manual and all paperwork to the new owner. If the present owner wants to know anything else about the history of the car while we had it, will be glad to supply information and many pictures. It used to have a roof rack but he removed it when it was repainted. Dad loved that car!

· Zwei Kolben
175 Posts
That is awesome! I even love the color and I do not live too far away.

I use to travel to Hong Kong on business a lot. 99% of the taxi cabs there are Toyota Crowns (sedan) with a column shift. They must still make them and the nose does not look all that different. Solid as a tank, I would love to have one.

· Registered
1 Posts
This car was owned by my father, the original owner, from 1968 until he passed away in 2003. I recognized the black tape on the interior and the cracked dash, plus we gave the bill of sale, owner's manual and all paperwork to the new owner. If the present owner wants to know anything else about the history of the car while we had it, will be glad to supply information and many pictures. It used to have a roof rack but he removed it when it was repainted. Dad loved that car!
hello there Trail Crown, is your Ralph E Toombs? I purchased this wagon while i was working in NYC, i took a bus to philadelphia bought it and drove it back to NYC. Its currently garaged in Southern California and will soon go through some restoration. Would love to hear more about it!
my name is Sal
i can be reached at [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.