Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have posted this in the Corolla section, but the topic for that section specifically states late model, so I don't want to screw anything up...

Anyhow, I am curious how the early Corollas worked out performance wise? I mean I know they were econo cars at least in the US, and IIRC they had either the 2tc or 3tc engine? Are there any performance mods for those? Are the lower parts of the engine the same as on a 2tc/3tg and can just have the head from a 2tg or 3tg added to convert it? Reliability? Handling of the cars with some modest upgrades (specifically the liftback SR5 type model from 77-79 area)?

I am asking because I saw a really sweet deal on one of these locally where they are selling it because the carb has a problem and it won't pass DEQ. Any info is appreciated :)

·
still chuggin' along
1981 Corolla SR5
234 Posts
I got an '81 with a 3TC, there are parts for the 3TC and 2TC. Check out www.paradiseracing.com . Reliable? It's a corolla, it never dies. About handling, the same site sells coil over kits that greatly help handling. I dont know what the 3tg though, so I can't answer about that. Hope I was of some help

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the link! I had been looking at some info over at www.timstoys.net and he has one of these vintage corollas, but up until the last time I checked he was running an 18rg in it. Just checked again today and it has a 3tg in it now.

As for the difference between the 2/3tc and 2/3tg, I believe that the G had the more racing style head and was dual cam whereas the C was the single cam....but I am not positive on that so don't quote me. Hmmm, I will have to check it out further. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1994 MR2 Turbo
120 Posts
My first car was a '79 Corolla Liftback with the 2TC. It was pretty reliable considering it was almost 20 years old when I got it. As for performance, the thing was an auto and was completely gutless. I don't think you will be able to get much performance out of this engine. I always wanted to try dropping a 22R out of pickup into mine but I never researched it much and eventually sold it. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts