Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you still thinking about selling this? It's gorgeous and i'm looking to purchase my first classic corolla. Let me know, thank you!
Hi sorry for not checking in sooner. We are still debating on selling or keeping it.
My daughter loves it but dosent want to drive it daily. We have updated the ignition system and carburetor. So its has a little more power then stock now. We have kept all the stock items though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the reply, it’sa gorgeous car. If you decide you’d like to sell at some point, I’m definitely interested. If not, I get it! Also, this is random but you never know— I’m currently trying to sell my 2013 Crosstrek so perhaps there’s a possibility with that? Either way, all the best!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi sorry for not checking in sooner. We are still debating on selling or keeping it.
My daughter loves it but dosent want to drive it daily. We have updated the ignition system and carburetor. So its has a little more power then stock now. We have kept all the stock items though.
I had a 1978 Corolla also with 4 speed manual. Finally had to junk it in 1998 as it could no longer pass California emissions, I miss that car!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My daughter is being adamant about keep the Corolla and turning it into a weekend driver she can enjoy and take to car meets.
We have started on some basic upgrades and cosmetic changes.
I'll start to share what have done so far and plan for future work.
To some purists, we are not doing anything that can not be returned to stock, except for the original US standard bumpers. Those gave up the mounting brackets for our own custom made bumpers. Sorry but those were hideous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The first upgrade was a rear pan hard bar from Techno Toy Tuning, and a 2" SS exhaust. The original exhaust had holes through out.
We will be building our own header shortly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The original ignition system had a failure of the igniter box, since no new ones are available we opted for a more serviceable MSD system.
The original carburetor developed a serious idol circuit issue, so we opted for the popular Weber 2 barrel for now.
We may go for 2 side drafts in the future if we decide to put some work into this motor, but for now we wanted to keep it simple.

We will be cleaning up the wires for a cleaner look soon. My daughter wanted to clean up the stock valve cover and thermostat housing, so they were sand blasted and painted.

·
One with the farce
2,971 Posts
Looks great, those picnic table bumpers are terrible aren’t they. I still have them on my ‘81 and would love to have smaller bumpers. The Weber is a great choice and is way to tune, that’s what’s on my car too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The first upgrade was a rear pan hard bar from Techno Toy Tuning, and a 2" SS exhaust. The original exhaust had holes through out.
We will be building our own header shortly. View attachment 324050 View attachment 324051 View attachment 324052 View attachment 324053 View attachment 324054 View attachment 324056 View attachment 324057
Nice photos, brings back memories of my 78 Corolla with rear wheel drive,,,,it had a smooth, balanced ride. Best of luck with your project!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update on our plans for the Corolla, my daughter has decided instead of putting any more effort into the original motor/tranny combo, she is going the Beams motor and 6 speed tranny route. She will be ordering up the combo in the next couple days. We will do the majority of the removal and install ourselves, when we get to the point of nearing the final wrap up, we will be working with a local shop Full Deck Autoworks.
It's been a long discussion about making this decision. Its come down to wanting more power, but not crazy power, and better drive ability out of the transmission, 4 speed vs 6 speed. We will be upgrading the suspension and brakes as well. We will post pic's as we progress thru the transition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts