Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1980 Toyota corona with 20 R engine
All original. One day driving from my driveway got about 1 mile and the car died.
I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, fuel pump and a new toyota carbarator.
all parts were from local Toyota dealer.
i spray starting fluid and will start up. when the starting fluid is evaporates the car will die.
It will only not start with out the starting fluid.

·
Registered
82 Corona
16 Posts
Well, you have ruled out spark as it will fire with ether. Just because you put in a new fuel pump and carburetor doesn't mean either can be ruled out. Start by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and turn the engine over with the ignition. Do you get fuel from the fuel line? If yes, then you have a blockage in the carburetor, when you attached the fuel line to the carb was there a plastic plug in the inlet that you may not have seen?

if no, do you have sufficient fuel in the tank? Is the fuel filter plugged? Is there a pinched line anywhere?
That's all I can do to get you started. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
line is good fluid is coming out of the fuel all the way to the carburetor. the accelerator pump is not working so the fuel does not go in to the carburetor.

·
Registered
82 Corona
16 Posts
I looked at the carb schematic for the 20R Aisin carb. I see there is a fuel shutoff solenoid. Find that solenoid and put a jumper to the wire coming from it to 12 volts. If it allows fuel to flow you probably have a problem with your ignition switch. If it is the ign. switch, find a switched source, and wire the solenoid to that switched source.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a mechanical fuel pump. can you share the link to the carb schematic or point me to the fuel shutoff solenoid.

·
Registered
82 Corona
16 Posts
I googled and went here:

Enlarged Fig.3 Exploded view of the carburetor-20R engine .

Part #28 Solenoid valve
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
82 Corona
16 Posts
When you connect 12 volts to the solenoid there should be an audible click. If as you say you put on a new carb from Toyota and it came as a complete item with a new solenoid I would suspect the ignition switch or a bad wire or maybe a fuse. If you reused your old solenoid I would suspect that and work backward to the ignition switch. But like I said I would just use 12V power from a switched source.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts