Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a novice when it comes to engines, so bear with me. What can I say; I'm a guitar player?

My recently inherited 1982 Pickup runs great. 147k on the odometer but only about 70K on the engine. BUT, having a problem today...

The clutch is giving me trouble today - I have to drill the thing all the way to the floor, and it doesn't want to go into gear. Feels like maybe low on fluid, but I'm such a loser, I can't seem to find the stick to check it and/or fill it.

Anyone out there willing to help?

Thanks...

·
Registered
15 Posts
No dipstick for the tranny on a shifty my friend.
I had an 86 that wouldn't shift all of a sudden. Check the clear resevoir at the back to the right. If it doesn't have fluid, you either have a rusted out hydraulic line or a leaky slave cylinder for the clutch. The part is only $20 but if your a guiter man, it's gonna cost extra to install it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a ton. Resevoir was empty when I checked it... filled it; but still having trouble, so I'm guessing there's a leak.

TG

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tranny fluid?

The manual gear box in your '82 will recquire ordinary 80w-90 gear lube. There is no filter. Your owner's manual will specify the proper amount. Do not over fill. As to the empty clutch master cylinder resevoir, you obviously have a leak. Inspect the master cylinder (under the dash board too), the connections, hard line, flex line and the slave cylinder on the side of the bellhousing (bowl shaped thing, immediately in front of the transmission). One of these areas will likely be dripping brake fluid. Repair or replace the leaking component. Then the system has to bled of all air bubbles. This is why you can't simply add more fluid and go. Some times bleeding the system is rather difficult to accomplish completely and you will experience inconsistant clutch action. All of this can be done with common hand tools but, I suggest that you consult a shop manual to familiarize yourself with the components and proceedures. A helper, to push the clutch pedal for you, is handy, though not strictly necessary. The whole job should take, even a novice, less than an hour. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In addition to the clutch master cylinder, which I've had quite a bit of trouble with in my own 86, there is also a slave cylinder. I'm not sure on where it's at because I wasn't able to help my dad the day he fixed mine, but if you're still having problems with your clutch, that may be what's giving you problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts