Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1979 corolla
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 83 corolla (2dr) with a bad engine (4ac). the trans is an auto. i was just wondering wat people think about a ford mustang v6 with a 5spd in a corolla. the v6 is cheap and plentiful at junkyards.

any thoughts?​

would it mess up the weight distrubution?
could the body/frame handle it?
could the rear end handle it?
radiator? other parts?

·
Registered
1979 corolla
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i want to be different. i know i could swap the 4a family with little effort. i could get a free one from my friend's 95 corolla(rear ended). i just want a n/a(fuel injected) engine that is some what low maintence and some what fast. turbo egines might be hard to pass smog. i also go snowboarding alot so how is mpg going up hill? the car is an automatic(boo) i want to swap a 5spd. i firgued i might as well find a transmission and engine together from a ford car. finding a manual trans from a rwd corolla might be kind of hard. the mustangs transmissions are every where. if i wanted a turbo i would get the 2.3 ford turbo

so back to my questions

·
One with the farce
2,886 Posts
Well then I suggest you sell your Toyota and buy a Ford if you're that set on Ford power.
Trying to maintain Cali emissions is going to suck, so it really doesn't make sense to give yourself more of a headache than it's worth. You want economy and power, but you want something different - those things just don't go together unless you have $$$$$ and skills, and a bit more $$$. So either stick another 4ac in it, or the 4af from your buddy'e car. The 4ag will cost you more since you'll have to run dual carbs or a 2bbl down-draft setup, and try to get those through emissions testing.
Or, you could buy a Ford and be done with it. Not bashing, just being realistic.

·
Registered
1979 corolla
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
an engine swap isnt cheap, i know that
i dont what a rediculios fast car, the v6 should be al right
i can fab metal, so that isnt a consirn
a 2000ish pound car doesnt need much to make it fast(hp/lbs)

still wondering how strong the frame and rear end is

·
Registered
15 Posts
just do a 20v swap if ur set on NA, would be easier to install then a Ford motor...and would be quick and fun to drive

·
Registered
1979 corolla
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i am going to just do that, but its still not a manual. cry cry

·
mr corollla
1989 4DOOR COROLLA
259 Posts
i would to buy your old automatic tranny that's all that's stoping my 1983 from being on the road

·
Registered
1979 corolla
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would only sell it if i had a new tranny to take it place, if i sold it it would most likely be on ebay

·
mr corollla
1989 4DOOR COROLLA
259 Posts
if you want to seel it i would love to have it

·
Registered
1979 corolla
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so a 4afe from a 95 corolla will bolt up to a 4ac transmisson???

·
Wonderbread
Toyota Tercel, AE86
1,721 Posts
yes, it would, but you gotta do all the water line relocating and crap, get a carbed 4ag setup, that would be different, not everone has that

·
Registered
1979 corolla
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the messed up head

the engine, i was wondering about efi becasue that carb has way to many tube and hoses. i think it might be easier just to switch to efi than to rehook a card(i dont know if the carb works, sat for 8 years)

·
Registered
1979 corolla
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i decide to just keep the engine. went to a pickapart and pulled a 4ac head from a 1984 coupe with 206000 miles on it. the head should work.

·
Registered
1979 corolla
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the head was 60 dollars, the block was more

1 - 16 of 16 Posts